Shea Moisture Purification Mask Name Change Only??

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Just purchased 2 purification masks.
Ill buy 2 more this weekend at Sallys. Such a shame they went and changed a product that was perfect the way it was.

SEMO

If the new one, without the clay, still provides great slip (I mainly use it now to pre-poo and detangle), I will still buy it and maybe just add a bit of my own clay to it for detoxing. B/c I am really not ready to let go of it as my holy grail.

For my prepoo this weekend I'm going to try mixing my holy grail conditioner (GVP conditioning balm) with some clay and compare it to the original purification masque. I gave up on the clay experiments before (b/c I'm not really a mixtress - I prefer to buy ready-made products), but I'm curious now.

@SEMO :hug2:

Please report back. This is me.:lol: I'm a lazy PJ.

Pfft. I'm too Lazy to mix ACV in some Water.:look:

If it ain't already properly pre-mixed and ret-to-go, I ain't interested.:lol:

@IDareT'sHair

So, I tried mixing the GVP conditioning balm with some clay. It was only okay. Not enough slip and I needed a clarifying shampoo to wash it out. But I think I may have have had too high of a clay to conditioner ratio. This is why I usually don't like mixing up my own stuff. I want ready-made products.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm curious about the scent too? @gorgeoushair

I hated the smell of the Anti-Breakage Masque. Made me wanna 'hurl' I could not gauge performance because I could not get past the scent.

Beachy

I'm not the best at describing scents but I guess I would say it smelled very sour to me so much that I opened another one to make sure that the one I was using hadn't gone bad, even though I knew it was a new product.

yaya24

I was reading online and apparently SM only plans to discontinue distributing the collection on ground inside of stores.

They will continue to sell the original purification mask online via the Shea Moisture website.

*not sure if other retailers will continue to sell it online as well.

Beachy

I was reading online and apparently SM only plans to discontinue distributing the collection on ground inside of stores.

They will continue to sell the original purification mask online via the Shea Moisture website.

*not sure if other retailers will continue to sell it online as well.
Can you share where you found this information... It would be very helpful to those of us who have planned on stockpiling :thanks:

yaya24

Elle posted it on her Facebook page.
I'm not on Facebook at the moment, but I know the purification mask was one of her Holy Grail products, so I chcked her FB to see if she was aware.. and apparently someone posted the email that was shared on here and she may have also contacted SM.

From Elle:
UPDATE** Apparently, the new formula is only replacing the Purification Masque in stores, but it will be available online. I personally would not purchase it because one of the main appeals of Shea Moisture is getting the product on the ground, but some of you were upset, so it's still available if you'd like to order it. (Thanks, Gwen!)

From Gwen (not a SM rep)

Shea Moisture says it is not changing the ingredients of the Black Purification Mask but rather adding a new dandruff product to the line.

This is the response they posted when asked by a facebooker about the change:

" Hi Chelsea, we haven't changed the ingredients, instead have added a new Dandruff Control collection. Our Purification Masque is still available on our website:http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap... We are happy to hear your hair loves SheaMoisture! We're happy you are part of our #SheaFamily. "

https://www.facebook.com/QFTPC/phot...0.1428547978./871417869585635/?type=1&theater

Last edited:

Beachy

Elle posted it on her Facebook page.
I'm not on Facebook at the moment, but I know the purification mask was one of her Holy Grail products, so I chcked her FB to see if she was aware.. and apparently someone posted the email that was shared on here and she may have also contacted SM.

UPDATE** Apparently, the new formula is only replacing the Purification Masque in stores, but it will be available online. I personally would not purchase it because one of the main appeals of Shea Moisture is getting the product on the ground, but some of you were upset, so it's still available if you'd like to order it. (Thanks, Gwen!)

From Gwen (not a SM rep)

Shea Moisture says it is not changing the ingredients of the Black Purification Mask but rather adding a new dandruff product to the line.

This is the response they posted when asked by a facebooker about the change:

" Hi Chelsea, we haven't changed the ingredients, instead have added a new Dandruff Control collection. Our Purification Masque is still available on our website:http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap... We are happy to hear your hair loves SheaMoisture! We're happy you are part of our #SheaFamily. "

https://www.facebook.com/QFTPC/phot...0.1428547978./871417869585635/?type=1&theater
Thank you so much for the information!

So I contacted Shea Moisture again because their response to the other customer was contradictory to what they had originally written to me. Here is the reply:HAPPYDANCE:TEARSOFJOY::cry3:image.jpg

ClassyJSP

I just sat here and went through this whole thread. I have NEVER tried this product but after work tomorrow I will be in stores trying to find it. I want to see what all the hype is about

randi415

Contacted SM about purchasing any left over Purification Masque and they responded saying it can still be purchased on their site. Checked the site and it's still listed. I don't plan on ordering any I found a couple CVS in my area that have them and they are BOGO free this week + I have a few $2 off coupons. I'm buying as many as I can, hopefully they'll last till I find a replacement.

ClassyJSP

Just tried it for the first time tonight and I don't know why I haven't tried this product before. I'm 10+ weeks post relaxer and I had almost no shed hair and my new growth was so easy to detangle. The CVS by my job has 3 left so if I don't pick another one up from there i'll stop by my house.

The only down side was the amount of product I used. I split my hair into 4 sections and applied it that way. I may stop at target too I think I seen this product in the clearance section.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
@IDareT'sHair I haven't gone to Walgreens or CVS to check out the sales. I wouldn't mind more of the Purification Masque but girl I need to dust off this chair and have a seat :lachen: cause I did buy 2 so I should be good for a little bit:look: