Shea Moisture Purification Mask Name Change Only??

imaginary

I was holding out hope that all the ingredients were the same and they had just done some mild witchcraft to change the consistency :nono:

*looks forlornly at my last masque and empty wallet*

Beachy

Imma stop coming up in here 'cause it's making me want to pull it out and use it tomorrow.:lol:

I don't touch my hair midweek except a daily spritz... But trust that if I didn't just spend 9hours putting these marley twists in I would have tried that new product plus I would have already started auditioning replacements!! Temptation is real!!

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
So my speculation was correct; SM did remove the clay from the Purification Masque.

This mess here is why I'm an incorrigible PJ.

Oh well...back to mixing my own stuff.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

SEMO

If the new one, without the clay, still provides great slip (I mainly use it now to pre-poo and detangle), I will still buy it and maybe just add a bit of my own clay to it for detoxing. B/c I am really not ready to let go of it as my holy grail.

For my prepoo this weekend I'm going to try mixing my holy grail conditioner (GVP conditioning balm) with some clay and compare it to the original purification masque. I gave up on the clay experiments before (b/c I'm not really a mixtress - I prefer to buy ready-made products), but I'm curious now.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
The clay will probably still get hair clean and the scalp fee of dandruff based on the ingredients(vinegar, salicylic acid, african black soap (sodium palm kernalate, sodium cocoate), witch hazel, green tea (camellia sinensis) etc..). The ingredients also suggest a lot of slip (behentrimonium methosulfate, behentrimonium chloride) as well as heat protection (Hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG Propyl silanetriol, centrimonium chloride).

The clay is still missing though! I really feel that it was the kaolin clay that made my hair manageable. I could use the mask to cleanse detangle and deep condition while confident that I could detangle afterwards. this is disheartening. Also, I won't feel comfortable using it every time I wash my hair since it contains vinegar.

I am still going to try the new one, but it will never be the same for me at this point.

I am going to have to mix my clay into my conditioners. That's okay, I have secretly missed mixing...:grin:.

Last edited:

oneastrocurlie

If the new one, without the clay, still provides great slip (I mainly use it now to pre-poo and detangle), I will still buy it and maybe just add a bit of my own clay to it for detoxing. B/c I am really not ready to let go of it as my holy grail.

For my prepoo this weekend I'm going to try mixing my holy grail conditioner (GVP conditioning balm) with some clay and compare it to the original purification masque. I gave up on the clay experiments before (b/c I'm not really a mixtress - I prefer to buy ready-made products), but I'm curious now.

Yes. If the new one helps me detangle like the old one I won't be upset.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I gave up on the clay experiments before (b/c I'm not really a mixtress - I prefer to buy ready-made products), but I'm curious now.

@SEMO :hug2:

Please report back. This is me.:lol: I'm a lazy PJ.

Pfft. I'm too Lazy to mix ACV in some Water.:look:

If it ain't already properly pre-mixed and ret-to-go, I ain't interested.:lol:

The clay is still missing though! I really feel that it was the kaolin clay that made my hair manageable. I could use the mask to cleanse
I am still going to try the new one, but it will never be the same for me at this point.

I am going to have to mix my clay into my conditioners. That's okay, I have secretly missed mixing...:grin:.

@DoDo :hug2:

I liked the thought of having/using the Clay, so if it's gone, it no longer interests me at all period.

As I'm sure I have so much other stuff to do what this one can do now w/o the Clay, so I'm no longer interested in this Particular Product.

The Clay was the Selling Point for Me.

Jakeala's Beau Vert is some sort of Clay Masque (which I totally forgot about until just now:blush:). @AgeinATL

I used a sample of this a while back, so this might be a replacement of some sort. And I did use it exactly like a use SM Purification.

So my speculation was correct; SM did remove the clay from the Purification Masque.

This mess here is why I'm an incorrigible PJ.

Oh well...back to mixing my own stuff.

@Bibliophile :hug2:

Gurl...You Cracked that Code Upthread.:lol: *thanks*

Nope! No longer interested in this product.:nono:

Glad I stocked up on the original. I was using it for the Clay Factor!

ETA: Can someone that knows ingredients and how they work look at Jakeala's Beau Vert and see if this is even remotely similar to SM Purification or will do what SM Purification can do. Why? And Why Not?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/206511694/hair-mask-deep-conditioner-beau-vert?ref=shop_home_active_16

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I already see ACV in the Jakeala which is something Ms. @DoDo mentioned in her post.

Also, this is simple Bentonite instead of Kaolin so I guess that would be another thing.

When I used the sample, of course it didn't 'smell' as good as the SM.

Not sure if what she sent me was the scented or unscented version.

But it did work nicely for me at removing Build Up which is what I was primarily using SM for.

And I wasn't using it for anything else like some of the rest of you.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I already see ACV in the Jakeala which is something Ms. @DoDo mentioned in her post.

Also, this is simple Bentonite instead of Kaolin so I guess that would be another thing.

When I used the sample, of course it didn't 'smell' as good as the SM.

Not sure if what she sent me was the scented or unscented version.

But it did work nicely for me at removing Build Up which is what I was primarily using SM for.

And I wasn't using it for anything else like some of the rest of you.

IDareT'sHair

Have you ever tried Blue Roze Beauty's Cocoa Rose? I never got around to trying it, but i was hopeful that it was a candidate for replacing the Shea Moisture Purification Masque.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Have you ever tried Blue Roze Beauty's Cocoa Rose? I never got around to trying it, but i was hopeful that it was a candidate for replacing the Shea Moisture Purification Masque.

DoDo

Yes, I have.:lick:

And no, I wouldn't think so about this. Absolutely nothing like Purification Hair Masque.

It reminds me of: PBN Chocolate Hair Smoothie or SD's Mocha Silk or the other Chocolate SD's DC'er (can't think of the name)?

If you've tried?

But no, BRB is nothing like Purification Hair Masque.

Right now, that Jakeala's Beau Vert is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head *no pun intended* that reminds me of the SM PHM.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
DoDo

Yes, I have.:lick:

And no, I wouldn't think so about this. Absolutely nothing like Purification Hair Masque.

It reminds me of: PBN Chocolate Hair Smoothie or SD's Mocha Silk or the other Chocolate SD's DC'er (can't think of the name)?

If you've tried?

But no, BRB is nothing like Purification Hair Masque.

Right now, that Jakeala's Beau Vert is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head *no pun intended* that reminds me of the SM PHM.

IDareT'sHair

Okay, I understand, it is strictly for deep conditioning purposes. I am going to miss that masque.

*The mixing begins.*

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
DoDo

Did you happen to look at Jakeala's Beau Vert?

I wanna know from somebody that knows ingredients the pro's & con's ingredient-wise for this being a 'dup'

or did I sum it up by pointing out: a) ACV b)Bentonite?

Where are all the Smart People at!:lol:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
What About this? I've used it before and really liked it.

http://www.butters-n-bars.com/hair-masque.html

Probably should have used it on Dry Hair but didn't.

Did not repurchase, because it made the water in my Steamer Pink/Red and I thought it might ruin it.

However, looking back now, if I would have used it on dry-hair, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

It was very, very nice, but I should have used it differently.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
DoDo IDareT'sHair
I've also tried that BRB conditioner.
BRB DC = thinner version of PBN Cocoa Smoothie.
BRB is rhassoul-based. Rhassoul is a “moisturizing & softening" clay, if that makes sense. IMHO kaolin gives the most slip in clay-based conditioners.

Bentonite has slip when mixed with vinegar; it's best mixed with slippery teas (e.g. marshmallow, slippery elm, burdock root or leaf, chamomile, fenugreek, Irish moss, spiked ginger lily)

I just looked at jakeala's dc on ETSY.
I haven't tried it but this is my speculation from the top ingredients:
It's more of a deep conditioner with some defrizzing & strengthening properties due to the amla, horsetail & green tea. BTMS will soften your hair like OH Hair Dew does.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've also tried that BRB conditioner.
BRB DC = thinner version of PBN Cocoa Smoothie.
BRB is rhassoul-based. Rhassoul is a “moisturizing & softening" clay, if that makes sense. IMHO kaolin gives the most slip in clay-based conditioners.

Bentonite has slip when mixed with vinegar; it's best mixed with slippery teas (e.g. marshmallow, slippery elm, burdock root or leaf, chamomile, fenugreek, Irish moss, spiked ginger lily)

I just looked at jakeala's dc on ETSY.
I haven't tried it but this is my speculation from the top ingredients:
It's more of a deep conditioner with some defrizzing & strengthening properties due to the amla, horsetail & green tea. BTMS will soften your hair like OH Hair Dew does.

Bibliophile :bookworm:

See This What I'm Talmbout:lol:

#:love: Smart People

I tried it (Jakeala Beau Vert). It was a greyish-clayish looking product.:yep:

Have you tried BnB's Clay Masque? The other one I posted. Take a Quick Look at those ingredients and see what you think.

mshoneyfly

For all you reluctant mixtresses who want the clay factor, BnB has the Australian pink clay. I mix this in any clay for a moisture boost. Haven't done it in a long time though. Maybe its time to get mixing

I LOVE this HHJ!!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

Probably should have used it on Dry Hair but didn't. It was very, very nice, but I should have used it differently.

For all you reluctant mixtresses who want the clay factor, BnB has the Australian pink clay. I mix this in any clay for a moisture boost. Haven't done it in a long time though. Maybe its time to get mixing

I LOVE this HHJ!!

@Bibliophile @mshoneyfly

Have you used this one?

RUBY

For those stockpiling, are you taking into account the best before dates?
I'm currently seeing dates up to July 2016.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
IDareT'sHair
I haven't used BnB's conditioner. At the time it was always sold out whenever I wanted to order. She inspired me to make my own mix. I think several current & former members here have tried it: (ellepixie, empressri shawnyblazes)

ETA: The original is intended as a strengthening conditioner like a henna gloss according to her site.
I think you should get her new Nourishing Herbal Hair Masque instead of the original. Here's the link: http://www.butters-n-bars.com/herbalhairmasque.html
She added Irish Moss (chondus crispus) & marshmallow root for slip.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
DoDo

Did you happen to look at Jakeala's Beau Vert?

I wanna know from somebody that knows ingredients the pro's & con's ingredient-wise for this being a 'dup'

or did I sum it up by pointing out: a) ACV b)Bentonite?

Where are all the Smart People at!:lol:

:lol:

IDareT'sHair

Jakeala Beau Vert: Ingredients: purified Water, Green Tea, Equisetum Arvense(Horsetail plant), Persea Gratissima(Avocado), Btms 50, Cetyl Alcohol(vegetable conditioner, do not confuse with drying hair alcohol)l, Olive Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Bentonite Clay, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Amla, Burdock Root, Silk Amino Acid, Pro-Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Essential Oils(rosemary, eucalyptus, peppermint, menthol) and Phenoxyethanol(paraben free preservative)

Shea Moisture Purification Masque: Deionized Water, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Mangifera Indica(Mango)Seed Butter*, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil , African Black Soap Extract, Sea Salt, Cetyl Esters, Kaolin Clay, Grapeseed Oil, Simmondsia chinensis seed (Jojoba) Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride (Conditioner), Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow)Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Sorbitol Esters, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Rosemary Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Extract, Plantain Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract

The shea moisture purification masque seems to have better sealing properties because it had heavy butters incorporated, it should have worse slip than the Jakeala because the conditioner they used is not as good. The Jakeala is using a more drying clay.

The Jakeala seems to have more slip and more essential oils, while the shea moisture seems heavier and less cleansing. This is what I am getting from the ingredients. I think it would make for a good dupe since it seems very cleansing and softening.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care

Probably should have used it on Dry Hair but didn't.

Did not repurchase, because it made the water in my Steamer Pink/Red and I thought it might ruin it.

However, looking back now, if I would have used it on dry-hair, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

It was very, very nice, but I should have used it differently.

IDareT'sHair

It reminds me more of a deep conditioner than a cowash. It has yummy ingredients though :lick:.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My other x2 SM Purification Hair Masque came on Monday from CVS. Lawd...why was I tempted to get x2 more. Not going to, but I certainly was tempted.

gorgeoushair

I have used Butters n Bars Original Conditioning Hair Masque mixed with SD Vanilla Silk on several occasions. I loved it! It has Australian Clay and Rasshoul Clay in it. I do believe if you mix clay with a conditioner, it will give the same or similar results as the Purification Mask. Sad to say that I haven't tried the PM yet and I've got several jars and have had them for a while. I hope they're still some good.

Never mind it's in this thread lol @IDareT'sHair

Also I believe @SweetlyCurly asked about mixing clay with a conditioner in the non traditional clay thread.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@gorgeoushair Thank you! I did like BnBs too, but I steamed with it and thought it might 'kill my steamer'.

Wish I would have thought to use it on dry/dirty hair like I use the SM.

But you need to gone & try the SM Purification Masques especially since you have them (before the original version) becomes obsolete (in case you want to buy a couple more from CVS while they still have them)

Beachy

Well so much for my beloved Purification Mask...you will be missed!

So I tried this new Dandruff Control Masque on my daughters hair on Saturday and what a DISAPPOINTMENT. Before I even get to how the product works let me start with the smell. The smell of this stuff literally made me sick to my stomach, so much so that I KNOW that I can not even try to put this in my hair!!!

So I knew very quickly after putting this on her hair that I was not going to be able to detangle her thick 4A hair. It was thick and creamy, yet dense and it provided no slip. After I applied it I gently separate and twisted her hair in about 8-10 large twist without detangling.

I left this in her hair for about 3 hours covered with a plastic cap. After rinsing her hair was soft but I was not able to detangle until after I added the 10n1 Superfruit Mask

Long story short I will be returning the 3 Dandruff Control Masque that I purchased previously and purchasing a few more Purification Masks from CVS.com. I plan on trying to cut my use down to 1x a month so I will be good for at least the next year. Over this next year I will be experimenting with Kaolin Clay!!!

If by chance any of you ladies have so some suggestions for Kaolin Clay recipes please share :thanks: