Returining to relaxing or texturizing (LONG)

nijilah

Well, I think that I am going to go back to relaxing after being natural for a few years. When I look back, I actually liked my hair best during transitioning. Weird? Plus, my purpose to transitioning was to grow my hair to a certain length and then start relaxing again, assuming that I know how to now care for relaxed hair, in order to show length. I like wearing my hair out and having it hang on my shoulders.

With a relaxer:
It is a wonder that I had any hair at all! My hair actually stayed a little longer than shoulder length. I raked combs through my hair and wondered why it broke. Every few months, I relaxed my entire head of hair! The biggie was that although I have thick, yet fine hair, I always used super strength and kept it in for twice the alloted time to get the bone straight look which I never got! My hair always ended up with a slight wave pattern, but never bone straight.

As a natural:
I just don't feel like I am glamorous (yes vanity) except in braids. Considering that my hair is somewhere around bra strap (which you can never really tell length on a 3C/4A), I don't get to show any length. What is the point of being on a journey for long hair if the length doesn't show?! Furthermore, being of school, work, and my workout schedule, I don't have the time to properly style my hair. My braid out no longer look good, because they are so big! I always have the biggest and frizziest ponytail, even in the winter. Finally, I am not being patient and my ends suffer because of it.

As a transitioner:
I transitioned for 2 years with braid outs. I love braid out styles! I used to just wash, add leave in, oil, and aloe vera gel and my hair was done for 5 days! Plus, my hair was healthy once I found good detangling conditioners. After not relaxing for almost a year, I flat ironed my hair one day and the thickness, the length, etc.... BEAURIFUL!

Changes:
I am thinking about using Motions oil mild or Revlon mild. I used to use Dark n Lovely super. I want to use a relaxer that is easy to find. I was thinking about the affirm but after I saw a few women freak out in the beauty supply store last week about the affirm not being in yet, I changed my mind.

1. Use a mild relaxer and keep it in for less than the recommened time. I want to more so texturize than relax. The bone straight look has only caused me damage.

2. Relax 2-3 times a year only. I used to relax every 6 months and thought that it was weird that many people did it less often. When I was transitioning, my hair was still manageable, easy to handle, etc for at least 6 months. After 6 months, I started using super detangling agent which made the transition continue to be easy for the full year.

3. Base scalp and edges with vaseline or castor oil.

4. No heat...Roller set to get the straight look.

I apologize for this post being so long, but I was on the roll!

amy1234

whatever decision you make, you know that we'll support you. I also wanted to recommend to use affirm . I was using the revlon mild before I tried the affirm and the revlon is strong and I think that the ph is higher so you might experience some damage that is not necessary.
I can relate with you - I really wanted to have (straight) healthy hair back then and that was why I went natural but soon realized that natural hair can be just as damaged if you don't take care of it.

NubianQueen

>I started using super detangling agent which made the transition continue to be easy for the full year.

Do tell, what is this SUPER detangling agent that you speak of?

Your plan sounds great as my journey is a little similar. I am thinking I might want to texturize once I get to my goal length. I haven't even tried a braidout, I just do the cornrows and I'm done!

I just received two motions relaxers, so I should be good for quite a while!! I am going to 'dilute' them with conditioner and liquid protein.

TIA

UmSumayyah

I just wanted to recommend that you get the best relaxer you can afford. What I do is to buy my next supply of relaxer a few weeks after I touch up. Then, come touch-up time ( a coupla months later) I have no worries about finding my relaxer.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Sounds like a good plan if you liked your hair better when it was relaxed! :) That's good that plan on not using direct heat. BTW, why don't you just keep relaxing every 6 months... IMO, the less applications of relaxer, the better.

About your natural hair not showing length... I don't think it matters as long as you know for yourself that your hair is long. ;) There are ways to make natural hair look long though. Check out saddity1's album!
Happy Hair Growing! :grin:

Last edited:

nijilah

ThursdayGirl said:
Yes! Do share, which detangler are you using?

The conditioner that has worked for me during transitioning as well as while natural is very cheap and readily available. I actually use Lustrasilk Aloe Vera Cholesterol super detanling formula mixed with 1-3 caps of olive oil. This stuff is GREAT! Oh, I have tried just about every single brand and type of cholestol and none has done the work that this one has.

nijilah

UmSumayyah said:
I just wanted to recommend that you get the best relaxer you can afford. What I do is to buy my next supply of relaxer a few weeks after I touch up. Then, come touch-up time ( a coupla months later) I have no worries about finding my relaxer.

Buying the relaxer a few weeks after the touch up? Wow, that is a great idea! Thanks!

musiclova

Off Topic....NiJilah, I just wanted to cosign that Lustrasilk Superdetangling Formula IS the best cholesterol out there! I just started to use it again and it has helped me my last two washes during my transition.