Right side is flourishing, what's up with my left?

Adaj

Hello!!! Why is my right side growing and longer than my left? I feel like my left side is just doing it's own thing, and I give both sides the same amount of care. Would this have to do with the way I am wrapping my hair? I try to alternate sides when wrapping, but I don't know what else to do:wallbash:

Josie

I've been having the same problem. It's gotten better though. My remedy: I began massaging the left side much more than the right side and generally takeing extra special care of the left side. After awhile the left side caught up with the right side. HTH file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COOKGT%7E1.013/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

Eclass215

Mine is the exact same way (and my nails are exactly opposite on which side grows faster - go figure).

I try not to sleep on the left as much so I don't restrict the blood flow. Other than that, I try to do pretty much the same on both sides.

naturalpride

When I use to wrap my hair my left side grew slower, was thinner and more fragile than my right. It still grows slower, but now my left side is much healthier and stronger.

Nonie

I noticed the same thing too, (left shorter than right) but wouldn't put it past my trimming that is done on sections at a time. Not too bothered at the mo' coz I wear my hair shrunken. Some day in the future if it really bugs me and I have enough length to feel OK trimming, I might ask hubby-mine to even it out for me.

alanaj

I have the same problem. When I wear my hair in twists, braids etc my left side is noticably thinner and definitely shorter. I don't know what I can do about it but I've only started my natural hair journey recently so I'm basically hoping it will resolve with time. At the moment I'm trying not to cut the left side and to massage it a lil more

Odd One

lol i did a poll here about sides being weaker or just acting weird for no apparent reason

The majority had weird left side...i just dont know why..my left side is just frizzy and dry:nono:

Maybe in your case its the side your sleeping on?

skatergurljubulee

My left side is thicker and longer than my right side. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has noticed.
I think the reason why it's thinner is b/c when I relax (I've self relaxed all my life) I ALWAYS start on the right side. So, starting this most recent relaxer, I started on my left. I'm thinking about trying massage (never done that before nor saw the need personally) on the right side as well. Maybe some scalp treatments? Something all natural like castor oil or something like that.
Have you tried castor oil on your left side?
HTH

Adaj

My left side is thicker and longer than my right side. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that has noticed.
I think the reason why it's thinner is b/c when I relax (I've self relaxed all my life) I ALWAYS start on the right side. So, starting this most recent relaxer, I started on my left. I'm thinking about trying massage (never done that before nor saw the need personally) on the right side as well. Maybe some scalp treatments? Something all natural like castor oil or something like that.
Have you tried castor oil on your left side?
HTH

I just started using castor oil, and i am learning about sealing my ends. hopefully, things will get better with the castor oil. my ends look worse on my left side as well:sad:

CokoQt

I have the same problem. The weird thing is for years my left side was weaker and grew slower than the right. Now its just the opposite since my last relaxer because my left side is now longer and thicker than the right. I'm just going to wear my hair in protective styles for a while until I get more length, then trim to even it up.

hypek

thank you for starting this thread! i thought i was the only one!!

my right side is a good 2.5 inches longer than my left side. ive noticed that my left side grows slower, thinner and is a different texture than my right side. it didnt bother me too much before because i was always having my hair trimmed so it was about a half inch different. but now that i am growing my hair, it is really crazy looking! and its not just sides of my head... even in the back, my right is longer. i think its just how my hair grows...

this may be a little off topic, but i noticed people saying that they "used" to wrap their hair. is wrapping not good for hair or does it become unhealthy when its always wrapped in the same direction? could someone please shed some light?

PGirl

My left side is not as thick and long as my right. This may seem strange but I just thought it's because the whole right side of my body is so much stronger than the left. I"m right handed and right everything else! The left part of my body seems useless and weak.

I figure my hair is just following that pattern. Hmmm....

hypek

im very left handed. the only things i can do with my right are cut with scissors and put on mascara :lachen:

are there other lefties out there whose left side is trailing behind the right?

casey3035

The right back side grows entirely different than my left. The right is rougher,shorter and much thinner. It has gotten better over time with extra TLC;but,it definitely has a mind of it's own! I have to trim it more often which is not good because the left side already grows waaaay longer.

blasiancurlie

actually i sleep on my right side but my left side is the thinner side so i really can't explain it. i think it may be because i apply everything to the right side first so maybe it gets more TLC....