Rollersetters, how long does wash day take

lonei

Hello ladies

I hope you are well. I am looking for ways to cut down the time taken for my washday routine. I am texlaxed and mid back length hair.

I pre poo overnight in braids with oil

Wash twice with shampoo

Undo the braids and rinse out the poo

Put a towel on to dry it slightly to absorb conditioner

Put the steamer on

Mix conditioner with oil and apply to hair with a plastic cap and sit under the steamer for 20-30mins

Go back in the shower and detangle/wash body, cream and dress

(The above alone takes like 1.5 hours)

Then I get my rollers out, add my leave in a serum and set my hair. (By watching a new video I got it down to 40 mins but normally it's 1 hour-1 hour 15, any rollersetting links appreciated)

I sit under the dryer for 2 hours until dry (any Pibbs like dryers available to be shipped to the UK recommendations welcome)

I then take the rollers out and flat iron the roots and parts of the hair which can sometimes take 1 hour as there tend to be a lot of frizzy sections from the set not being tight enough (I have just brought new clips which slot right in so I will see if this makes a difference)

I then pin curl/Saran wrap which is another 5-15 minutes.

At worse it can take 7 hours just to wash and rollerset my hair!

I have rollersetted for years and do not want to leave this method out as it lasts me 3 weeks, any tips on how to shorten things is much appreciated. God bless x

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
It takes me 2 hours.

I get in the shower and immediately shampoo my hair. No more than twice. Then I apply my deep conditioner. I exfoliate my body (to kill time while DCing) with St. Ives Apricot Scrub that takes another 15 minutes. I then detangle. That takes 3-5 minutes because the shower heat makes my hair easier to detangle.

By the time I get to the sink, my rollers, pins, leave in conditioner, water spray bottle are waiting for me. I part my hair in 3 sections. I do the mohawk in the middle. Then my left side and them my right. That takes 20-30 minutes depending on whether I am on the phone or not.

I put my hair net on. After 90 minutes I go back to the bathroom take my rollers out, put a 2 dime size drops of argan oil in my hair after I brush out the curls and then wrap. DONE!

Last edited:

itismehmmkay

Your rollersetting and drying time don't seem to take that long. It's the pre and post steps. The pre-pooing and the flat-ironing/wrapping. I would start there with shaving off time or seeing if you can break it up even more. Can you dry your hair before bed, then do pincurls or something to sleep in and flat-iron in the morning?

It's nice that this lasts you 3wks

lonei

Lucie said:
It takes me 2 hours.

I get in the shower and immediately shampoo my hair. No more than twice. Then I apply my deep conditioner. I exfoliate my body (to kill time while DCing) with St. Ives Apricot Scrub that takes another 15 minutes. I then detangle. That takes 3-5 minutes because the shower heat makes my hair easier to detangle.

By the time I get to the sink, my rollers, pins, leave in conditioner, water spray bottle are waiting for me. I part my hair in 3 sections. I do the mohawk in the middle. Then my left side and them my right. That takes 20-30 minutes depending on whether I am on the phone or not.

I put my hair net on. After 90 minutes I go back to the bathroom take my rollers out, put a 2 dime size drops of argan oil in my hair after I brush out the curls and then wrap. DONE!

Wow. 2 hours! Thanks. How long is your hair?

lonei

Lucie said:
It takes me 2 hours.

Thanks, wow, 2 hours?! What size rollers and type do you use and how long is your hair? Do you sit under the dryer?

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Wow. 2 hours! Thanks. How long is your hair?

My hair is past APL, almost BSL. :)

Thanks, wow, 2 hours?! What size rollers and type do you use and how long is your hair? Do you sit under the dryer?

I use the gray rollers which are about 2" but will be getting the black ones that are 2.5". Yes, a member let me use her Pibbs 508, so I sit under it for about 90 minutes. :grin:

lonei

itismehmmkay said:
Your rollersetting and drying time don't seem to take that long. It's the pre and post steps. The pre-pooing and the flat-ironing/wrapping. I would start there with shaving off time or seeing if you can break it up even more. Can you dry your hair before bed, then do pincurls or something to sleep in and flat-iron in the morning?

It's nice that this lasts you 3wks

Thank you. The pre-poo I do the night before so it doesn't really factor in the time. I agree the flat ironing takes too long, I guess if I can get my rollerset a to come out smoother I won't have to flat iron as much. I have tried the flat iron in the morning and it doesn't look as fresh, it tends to need time to 'set' overnight for it to look its best. Thanks again.

lonei

Lucie said:
My hair is past APL, almost BSL. :)

I use the gray rollers which are about 2" but will be getting the black ones that are 2.5". Yes, a member let me use her Pibbs 508, so I sit under it for about 90 minutes. :grin:

I use grey and purple. What the 508 like as compared to the 514?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I dont count my wash day hours because i break it up so much and like to leave my dc on for a while. but if i was to do it as fast as possible i could do it in about 3 hours or so.

deep condition:30 mins
rinse and finger comb: 5 mins(with a GOOD dc)
apply my leave ins and roller set. that takes about 20-45 mins depending on if i want a quick set or a traditional set.
Drying: 1 hour and 15 mins
Flat iron roots: 10 mins
Pincurl or satin rollers at night: 10 mins

My wash day is more like this...(unquantified)
Deep condition for as long as i want with heat
rinse and finger comb
apply leave ins and quick rollerset
dry for 30 mins to an hour under dryer
sleep with rollers over night
flat iron
pincurl,wrap or rollers.

too damned long... probably 4 hours. it pisses me off that once I finish under the dryer I'm still not done lol. I have to flat iron the roots. I hate that.
my hair takes about an hour to dry even with my junky dryer. i use mostly 2 inch rollers.

Last edited:

lonei

SerenavanderWoodsen said:
too damned long... probably 4 hours. it pisses me off that once I finish under the dryer I'm still not done lol. I have to flat iron the roots. I hate that.
my hair takes about an hour to dry even with my junky dryer. i use mostly 2 inch rollers.

Thank you ladies

What's a Junky dryer?

Britt

I may pre poo over night

Wash and deep condition under my heating cap for about 20 - 30 minutes. If I use Emergencee I use my heating cap for about 30 minutes and then rinse that out and f/u w/ a moisturizing conditioner for about 15 minutes under the heat cap.

Rollersetting takes me about 20-25 minutes.

Pibbs - about 50 minutes to dry

Then I'll pin curl or wrap my hair. Once in a while I'll flat iron my roots but that adds another 15 - 20 minutes.

I grew up roller setting ...my mom still does. I like my hair straight with curl/body. I gave up on roller setting when I started professional school. I have a T3 dryer, I blow dry parted down the middle until almost dry. Then I twist into 2 large Bantu knots kinda like Princess Leia. This takes the frizz out. In the morning or after a few minutes, I unpin, flat iron roots, throw in a few hot rollers. Done! My whole wash routine from stepping into the shower washing hair shaving legs DC rinse towel dry put in leave in/serum blowdry flatiron roots hot rollers makeup dress... to out the door to a party can be done in 2h. My mom won't try this method but my hair looks just as good as roller setting. I usually wash every 5-7d. I used to do everything u guys described. Drying under pibbs still took me 2h. I gave my pibbs away when I moved. I used to use purple gray n black rollers. My head was too big with the black.

Last edited:

lonei

317537 said:
I grew up roller setting ...my mom still does. I like my hair straight with curl/body. I gave up on roller setting when I started professional school. I have a T3 dryer, I blow dry parted down the middle until almost dry. Then I twist into 2 large Bantu knots kinda like Princess Leia. This takes the frizz out. In the morning or after a few minutes, I unpin, flat iron roots, throw in a few hot rollers. Done! My whole wash routine from stepping into the shower washing hair shaving legs DC rinse towel dry put in leave in/serum blowdry flatiron roots hot rollers makeup dress... to out the door to a party can be done in 2h. My mom won't try this method but my hair looks just as good as roller setting. I usually wash every 5-7d. I used to do everything u guys described. Drying under pibbs still took me 2h. I gave my pibbs away when I moved. I used to use purple gray n black rollers. My head was too big with the black.

Interesting! You gave your Pibbs away?! Where was I?! Lol. Why did it take 2 hours under the pibbs, thats the longest i have ever heard. Thanks a bunch.

lonei said:
Thank you ladies

What's a Junky dryer?

Lolol not a brand!!! I meant its junk. Its a sturdy thing though. Its a table top dryer from Sally's... I forget the brand. It doesn't dry the back and lower sides too well but it does the trick if i position myself right.

Blame it on the Phablet

Lucie said:
It takes me 2 hours.

I hate you and your efficiency lol.

Blame it on the Phablet