Scalp Exfoliation: Before And After

almond eyes

Thanks for sharing.

I guess that is why co washing on a regular basis may be stunting some women's hair growth especially if you have a more curlier and coarser texture where the sebum gets stuck in the roots and doesn't really slide down the hair shaft in the looser/curlier hair textures.

I shampoo wash every week. And I unloosen the sebum with the pads of my fingers in my scalp before I get into the shower to wash my hair.

I saw that Komaza has a product for exfoliation but I saw that it has coconut oil and that seemed like more oiliness.

Best,
Almond Eyes

ejfel

A lot of us here uses lactic acid on our body. I wonder if we can make a weak diy lactic acid base scalp exfoliator?
I have mixed lactic acid and bentonite clay a few times as a face mask, but I am pretty sure the minerals in the clay neutralizes the acid :( if someone can chime in regarding the acid and the clay, I would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much for glo the info, and the pictures. By the way, are you of Caribbean decent? You look like one of my sisters.

g.lo

Is it possible to exfoliate using your finger tips while placing the shampoo directly on the scalp?
when we are massing our scalp with shampoo, in a way we are lifting dead skin ( the loosed one, ready to fall), unfortunately the majority of dead skins are still attached to the scalp and need more help, unless the shampoo as specific ingredients that exfoliate, then yes.
Aveda does an exfoliating shampoo, not sure if it is sulfte free:
Aveda Invati Exfoliating Shampoo

CodeRed

I think I'm going to start this with the Philip Kinsley vial mentioned upthread and a square paddle brush.

Edit: I think I'll just start with the paddle brush from now until the end of this year and then try the Philip Kinsley to see if there's much of a difference.

Last edited:

caliscurls

Well I ended up getting the Nioxin System 5 Scalp Treatment (I color my hair). It's a leave in that you message in daily.

Write-up from Ulta's website:
-
"Nioxin System 5 Scalp Treatment for normal to thin-looking, medium to coarse, natural or chemically treated hair. Moisturizing leave-on treatment contains antioxidants & botanicals to help provide a refreshed scalp environment.

Technologies:

• Transactive Delivery System with antioxidants, botanicals, vitamins, and purifying agents to help clean away follicle-clogging sebum and environmental residues from the scalp, leaving the scalp feeling clean and refreshed.
  • Smoothplex with silk amino acids, kukui nut oil, and protective conditioning agents; helps provide moisture balance, smoothing control and reduced hair loss through strengthening against damage and breakage.
  • Glyco-Shield for chemically-treated hair and scalp with white tea extract, humectants, peppermint oil, and protective conditioning agents that deliver a dual shield technology to help provide protection and moisture balance to color-treated hair, while leaving the scalp feeling rejuvenated and refreshed."
After I bought it I went to the Nioxin website and found out they have a scalp renew system, which can be purchased on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nioxin-Natural-Dermabrasion-Treatment-Unisex/dp/B00522PF60

I'm on the fence as to whether to return what I got and get this instead...or try both :)

CodeRed

I wonder if there are any ingredients in hair care that can actually get inside the follicle and clog it? I know people say petro-products do this but they don't... they clog by sitting on top of the follicle. There are other conditioners and things that can cover the follicle until the hair can't grow out anymore but I'm not sure they actually get inside the follicle. I can't seem to find anything on google about this...

g.lo

I wonder if there are any ingredients in hair care that can actually get inside the follicle and clog it? I know people say petro-products do this but they don't... they clog by sitting on top of the follicle. There are other conditioners and things that can cover the follicle until the hair can't grow out anymore but I'm not sure they actually get inside the follicle. I can't seem to find anything on google about this...
What tend to clog the follicle are: dead skin and excess sebum. You can actually find sebum that have hardened inside the follicle.

CodeRed

What tend to clog the follicle are: dead skin and excess sebum. You can actually find sebum that have hardened inside the follicle.

Thank you. For some reason it makes me feel better that something that came from by body is clogging it instead of some foreign ingredient :lol:

g.lo

How harsh is exfoliating on natural hair. I would consider doing it but, if it's not broke, don't fix it.:afro:
Exfoliating done the proper way and using proper products or techniques is not harsh for natural or relaxed hair. I am not a fan of sugar scrub ( I explained why in the video).
Anyway I am just sharing what I notice on people scalp.

julzinha

when we are massing our scalp with shampoo, in a way we are lifting dead skin ( the loosed one, ready to fall), unfortunately the majority of dead skins are still attached to the scalp and need more help, unless the shampoo as specific ingredients that exfoliate, then yes.
Aveda does an exfoliating shampoo, not sure if it is sulfte free:
Aveda Invati Exfoliating Shampoo
Thanks, I just worry about the scrub getting caught in my scalp. I don't cowash and I gently scratch my scalp everytime I shampoo usually with a tea tree based shampoo.

g.lo

Thanks for sharing.

I guess that is why co washing on a regular basis may be stunting some women's hair growth especially if you have a more curlier and coarser texture where the sebum gets stuck in the roots and doesn't really slide down the hair shaft in the looser/curlier hair textures.

I shampoo wash every week. And I unloosen the sebum with the pads of my fingers in my scalp before I get into the shower to wash my hair.

I saw that Komaza has a product for exfoliation but I saw that it has coconut oil and that seemed like more oiliness.

Best,
Almond Eyes
You are right, especially when Using conditioner only ( not cleansing conditioner). The komaza products (if it is still the same), is watery not oily at all. I think it is the pona something, if I recall properly

g.lo

A lot of us here uses lactic acid on our body. I wonder if we can make a weak diy lactic acid base scalp exfoliator?
I have mixed lactic acid and bentonite clay a few times as a face mask, but I am pretty sure the minerals in the clay neutralizes the acid :( if someone can chime in regarding the acid and the clay, I would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much for glo the info, and the pictures. By the way, are you of Caribbean decent? You look like one of my sisters.

You have a point, lactic acid, glycolic acids, magic acids are all AhA, and exfoliate the skin, lactic being the gentle one.
Salicylic acid is a BHA, and very effective as an exfoliating.
I am not a chemist, so I prefer to buy them ready made.
I get that all the time, being ask if I am from caribbean descendant, no Central africa, mixed with Portuguese and Egyptian.

g.lo

Well I ended up getting the Nioxin System 5 Scalp Treatment (I color my hair). It's a leave in that you message in daily.

Write-up from Ulta's website:
-
"Nioxin System 5 Scalp Treatment for normal to thin-looking, medium to coarse, natural or chemically treated hair. Moisturizing leave-on treatment contains antioxidants & botanicals to help provide a refreshed scalp environment.

Technologies:

• Transactive Delivery System with antioxidants, botanicals, vitamins, and purifying agents to help clean away follicle-clogging sebum and environmental residues from the scalp, leaving the scalp feeling clean and refreshed.
  • Smoothplex with silk amino acids, kukui nut oil, and protective conditioning agents; helps provide moisture balance, smoothing control and reduced hair loss through strengthening against damage and breakage.
  • Glyco-Shield for chemically-treated hair and scalp with white tea extract, humectants, peppermint oil, and protective conditioning agents that deliver a dual shield technology to help provide protection and moisture balance to color-treated hair, while leaving the scalp feeling rejuvenated and refreshed."
After I bought it I went to the Nioxin website and found out they have a scalp renew system, which can be purchased on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Nioxin-Natural-Dermabrasion-Treatment-Unisex/dp/B00522PF60

I'm on the fence as to whether to return what I got and get this instead...or try both :)

Thanks for sharing.

Keen

Great video @g.lo I'm glad you touch up on how to exfoliate when wearing braids. I've been using clarifying shampoo because I didn't know about the other products. I will also lay off the sugar scrub. I live it because of the convenience.

I'm not sure if you remember me from the other thread about hair lost due to clog pores. I am prime example.

Lady-RuffDiamond

Hi ladies,

I have been in lurking mode for a long time.
I wanted to share this picture I took of a scalp, and the difference that one exfoliation has made ( I used the philip kingsley scalp mask).
the young lady washes her hair on a weekly basis, although not noticeable to the naked eye, her scalp was really congested. I have been invited to different hair show and seminars here in Uk and Paris, and i have seen hundreds of heads, and about 95% although they take care of their hair and scalp, have dead skin build up and trapped sebum without knowing. the worst case , was when they use conditioner to clean the scalp.
I have filmed a video explaining everything ( a bit long sorry), hope this will help somebody.
Sorry for my accent as french is my first language.

Gaby
Excellent video! I've subscribed.

g.lo

Neutrogena TSal Shampoo claims to remove scalp build up and is reasonably priced and sulfate free.

Thanks for sharing, scalp build up could be lots of things. I am mainly talking of dead skin and excess sebum, many shampoo do remove build up ( products, minerals...).
The best thing is to always Google the ingredients and find they do exfoliate.

g.lo

Great video @g.lo I'm glad you touch up on how to exfoliate when wearing braids. I've been using clarifying shampoo because I didn't know about the other products. I will also lay off the sugar scrub. I live it because of the convenience.

I'm not sure if you remember me from the other thread about hair lost due to clog pores. I am prime example.
Hey, I do remember, how is your shedding now?