Scalp Exfoliation: Before And After

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
I found this on "Mo Knows Hair"

She mentions CD's Elixir and some other tools, esp. for those in protective styles. If I missed it, please advise but @g.lo what do you recommend for those in braids?

CodeRed

Let us know what you think of it.

It didn't dry my hair out like I thought it would... It seems like it got everything clean. I used it as directed (lather, leave it on for a few minutes, rinse and repeat) while scrubbing my scalp with my fingers... my scalp looks and feels fine anyway so I'm going to use it once a week until it's gone to see if I feel any different or if my scalp improves beyond what it is now. I was itching for the last day and a half and that's why I decided to try it now... I'm not itching anymore but the shampoo may or may not be the cause of that. It says to use it twice a week but I think I'll us it once a week for a while, leaving it on long than the recommended time, to see how it does.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Haven't used the Kiehl's Deep Micro Exfoliating Scrub yet.

I do like the fact that the grains are super fine and don't appear to be hard to rinse out.

It is a gel/oil consistency (in a Tube) with an Herbal scent (as someone else posted).

Will use it next wash day, especially since I have Henna'ed and Indigo'ed and want to ensure that everything has been removed from my Scalp.

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
This is such an informative thread, thanks for sharing your findings :up: I'm definitely on the lookout for a shampoo with salicylic acid.

imaginary

Ok I tried the Redken Intraforce.

Pros:
1. Cheap. I paid about $9 on amazon for 6 25ml unidoses

2. The unidoses can stretch for more than one use. When I used it I know I used too much since I didn't have a mirror to see behind me, and I still have a little under a third left over.

3. I didn't really feel the little beads that I saw in it, and this is a pro for me because I was worried about scratching at my scalp and hair

4. It did get my scalp cleaner than I'm able to with just my fingers and scalp brush

Cons:
1. I was reading the ingredients list on the box and I saw that it has a silicone o_O. Now I'm not anti-silicones, but putting it on my scalp is another thing entirely. I just made sure to leave the shampoo on my scalp on for a little extra while.

2. After I finished doing my hair, my scalp still had a tiny bit of build-up and a bit of an itch. I can't fault the product entirely since my scalp had a lot of buildup before I washed it and I figure I'll need a few uses of this to get my scalp to optimal.

And that's all I can think of right now. I didn't feel any tingling and I used my shampoo brush to help massage it in on my head so I wasn't sure if it was really working. But other than that it was a good experience. I wouldn't repurchase, but that's only cause I'm still thrown by putting silicones in a scalp exfoliant. That just makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Allandra

@imaginary

You can always make your own to make it healthier (that's what I do). IMO, a scalp exfoliant containing silicone defeats the purpose. I gave up cones.

Pros:

2. The unidoses can stretch for more than one use. When I used it I know I used too much since I didn't have a mirror to see behind me, and I still have a little under a third left over.

3. I didn't really feel the little beads that I saw in it, and this is a pro for me because I was worried about scratching at my scalp and hair

4. It did get my scalp cleaner than I'm able to with just my fingers and scalp brush

Cons:
1. I was reading the ingredients list on the box and I saw that it has a silicone o_O. Now I'm not anti-silicones, but putting it on my scalp is another thing entirely. I just made sure to leave the shampoo on my scalp on for a little extra while.

2. After I finished doing my hair, my scalp still had a tiny bit of build-up and a bit of an itch. I can't fault the product entirely since my scalp had a lot of buildup before I washed it and I figure I'll need a few uses of this to get my scalp to optimal.

And that's all I can think of right now. I didn't feel any tingling and I used my shampoo brush to help massage it in on my head so I wasn't sure if it was really working. But other than that it was a good experience. I wouldn't repurchase, but that's only cause I'm still thrown by putting silicones in a scalp exfoliant. That just makes no sense to me.

imaginary

@imaginary

You can always make your own to make it healthier (that's what I do). IMO, a scalp exfoliant containing silicone defeats the purpose. I gave up cones.

In the future I definitely will, since I'm a diy-er at heart. I just want to have more experience with the various enzyme-type products before I try it myself. I used to use a salicylic acid spot treatment that made my skin super tender and thin, so now I'm very wary when dealing with them...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Will use the Kiehl's in the a.m. :

"Our deeply exfoliating scalp treatment formulated with Vitreoscilla Ferment, known to be rich in vitamins and minerals, helps to restore a healthy balance to the scalp.
Combined with micronized Apricot Seed and Argan Shells to gently yet effectively exfoliate and loosen flakey buildup.
Our formula helps to purify the scalp with gentle scrubbing. This potent treatment prepares scalp for shampoo."

Last edited:

Muse

Pros:

Cons:

I used the Alterna Scalp Facial and it worked very well. Yesterday was my second time using it but after the first time using it I felt that my scalp improved about 80% which is a huge improvement for me. It's even better now. I am hoping that after 1-2 more times I'll be back to 100%. I am so happy I clicked on this thread!

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado

Pros:

Cons:

@imaginary I stopped using Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Hair & Scalp Treatment (former HG) for the same reasons. I think the silicones deposited on my scalp over time.

I replaced PM with (silicone-free) Ouidad Salon Series Mediterranean Bay Leaf Exfoliating Hair & Scalp Treatment. It has tiny granules that dissolve and rinse clean.

imaginary

...anyone? :)

I think that'd be a good idea just be wary about the dilution you use. Maybe look at some products geared towards the face to get an idea of the percentage of it to use. I have used crushed aspirin (easiest and cheapest form of salicylic acid) along with aha spot treatments on my face and they both work well. It's easy to overdo though, so just keep an eye.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Used the Kiehl's Deep Micro Exfoliating Scrub:

Parted off Hair in Sections. Only use a finger tip. Easy to apply. Easy to remove. Mild 'tingle' (nothing intense).

Very clean scalp. Glad I purchased this.

Will try Naturelle Grow's Espresso & Chocolate Scalp Scrub next. (already in my Stash).

ilong

God's Own
Has anyone bought pure salicylic acid powder and added it to other products? Is that a good idea or a disaster in the making??

I think that'd be a good idea just be wary about the dilution you use. Maybe look at some products geared towards the face to get an idea of the percentage of it to use. I have used crushed aspirin (easiest and cheapest form of salicylic acid) along with aha spot treatments on my face and they both work well. It's easy to overdo though, so just keep an eye.
ITA with @imaginary - I would crush/dissolve aspirin or purchase a face scrub with 2% Salicylic Acid as opposed to using SA powder.

Babygrowth

I just posted my dandruff and dry scalp issues have returned and then I found this thread. Right on time! Thanks for this thread. I'm hoping to get my growth back on track and I have noticed more shedding.

ceecy29

Every scalp treatment from komaza care is amazing (Vitamin Reign, Bountiful mane scalp serum and Pona hair & scalp treatment). Stopped my scalp itching in its tracks, where I had tried some many other products (including the neutrogena T/Sal shampoo with salicylic acid) to no avail .

I especially like the Pona hair and scalp treatment.

nlamr2013

THanks so much for this op I love science based hair videos
I recently began using water only hair wash and my scalp has been doing much better I will try this
I feel like I tried using salicylic acid for dandruff but that was before I stopped using shampoo and conditioner which irritated my scalp and caused flakes I planned to wash my hair tomorrow so I will mix up some avg and glycolic acid to try Ill probably keep it at around 8% concentration for 3-5 minutes when I do my weekly peel