Why are stylists so darn scissor happy?

sexyeyes3616

This is my hair as of this month. The stylist that did my hair wanted to trim my hair.

She said you know just because you hair is growing and getting long doesnt mean its is healthy. So i am sitting in the chair and i hear snip snip. I said Jamiee are you trimming my hair and she you need a trim your ends are damaged you will thank me for it. You need a trim every time you get a relaxer. So i had some balls and said i dont want a trim. And she didnt trim it after that. My ends are uneven but they dont look bad. And to add her hair is barely shoulder length and none of her clients hair is below shoulder length. I think we stylist see that your hair is growing they get envious and want to give you the split ends speech so they can trim it.

Last edited:

MonPetite

I'm SO glad you were firm in what you wanted! You could have EASILY lost all your progress! We ALL need to be proactive in what we allow others to do with our hair, health, finances, etc.

You set a great example! Your ends look fine to me! A little uneveness never hurt anyone! :grin:

bermudabeauty

Your hair is nice by the way. You are the customer and she should give you what you ask for. however.....the pic you have here it does look like you need a trim about umm 1/2inch at the most and it would be flawless. Just a sugesstion.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I'm sorry she feels that way. Imagine that, cutting every time you get a re-touch.:nono: Unless you're swallowing MSN, dousing yourself in MTG, and bathing in MN your progress is going to be hindered. I really dont know why salonists are scissor happy. I'm glad I ditched mine and my hair is just blowing in the wind now.:grin:

Son26

I agree with you completely. One of my old stylists would trim my hair after every relaxer. I stopped going to her when she took off about three inches without checking with me first. Plus, she always made snide comments about how having "long hair isn't that important." :rolleyes: Most of her clients had above shoulder length hair.

JustKiya

Because that's what they've been taught.

And since black women 'can't' grow their hair long anyway, why you trying to hold onto those ugly ends? It won't get no longer!?!? :rolleyes: :nono: :nono:

Besides, the shorter your hair is, the easier it is for them to manage - you've heard tales of how some stylists like to trip when a whole head of thick long hair walks through their door - they certainly (usually) don't want to CULTIVATE that kinda work for themselves.

Hrmph. :nono:

danigurl18

I hate people like that!! My hair naturally grows uneven so my ex-stylist always used to "trim the ends" by cutting it all even to the shortest piece.. That's why I cut my own ends now!

Chromia

And since black women 'can't' grow their hair long anyway, why you trying to hold onto those ugly ends? It won't get no longer!?!? :rolleyes: :nono: :nono:

Besides, the shorter your hair is, the easier it is for them to manage - you've heard tales of how some stylists like to trip when a whole head of thick long hair walks through their door - they certainly (usually) don't want to CULTIVATE that kinda work for themselves.

Yep. :yep:

My former stylist used to trim every time I got a relaxer. When I started telling her "I don't want a trim this time" she would overreact and get really upset.

tenderheaded

Unless you wear your hair straight, a little unevenness is nothing! Hang on to your progress until YOU are ready for a trim - then make sure it's a trim. One of our UK sisters mentioned 2 yrs a ago that a stylist cut 4 inches, then said "what do you want with long hair anyway"?

Your hair looks nice and healthy:yep: HHG

SoCalli

I remember getting my hair done at the shop when I was in high school. My stylist would trim my hair, but it was more like dusting. She was good. My hair grew long under her care. Then I went off to college and couldn't find a good stylist. I didn't know how to take care of my hair so I got crazy split ends and told my friend to cut it all off.

My friend's sister came out of beauty school. I'm thinking I could get her to cut my hair b/c she knew I was trying to grow it. I thought she would understand. Nope she would cut it all off! She would cut my sister bald! We stop asking her to do it for us.

I started going to Fantastic Sams for about a year. I go once every three months. An asian lady cuts my hair and a white lady cuts my sis's hair. They do a fantastic job. They listen to what we have to say. I think they are used to cutting hair per their client's request. If you ever need a professional trim, I would recommend a place like Fantastic Sams or Supercuts, who specialize in cutting hair exactly to what their client wants.

Blessed_Angel

Your hair is nice by the way. You are the customer and she should give you what you ask for. however.....the pic you have here it does look like you need a trim about umm 1/2inch at the most and it would be flawless. Just a sugesstion.

I agree, you could trim a little bit, but not much. Maybe you could trim it yourself.

I see what you're saying. I do think your stylist is hating. Even my stylist doesn't suggest a trim every relaxer....that is not necessary. I'm glad that you didn't let her trim your hair, she would have overdone it. :nono: I can't believe that she went ahead and started to give you a trim w/o your permission!! I wouldn't even let her in my hair!!! :nono: I wouldn't trust her after that.

Your hair looks healthy and thick. You'll be fine with just a little dusting...that's all.

anon123

I think they also have an aesthetic preference for even ends, and trimming lets them do that. Shoot, trimming is probably one of the more fun parts of their job, with a real cut being the most fun.

d-rock

That's the erroneous conventional thinking that keeps me out of salons. Your hair grows and they cut off your growth every time you get a touch up. How are your ends "damaged" every touch up? I would have said, "Didn't you cut off the damage last time, put the scissors down."

Lucky's Mom

This is my hair as of this month. The stylist that did my hair wanted to trim my hair.

She said you know just because you hair is growing and getting long doesnt mean its is healthy. So i am sitting in the chair and i hear snip snip. I said Jamiee are you trimming my hair and she you need a trim your ends are damaged you will thank me for it. You need a trim every time you get a relaxer. So i had some balls and said i dont want a trim. And she didnt trim it after that. My ends are uneven but they dont look bad. And to add her hair is barely shoulder length and none of her clients hair is below shoulder length. I think we stylist see that your hair is growing they get envious and want to give you the split ends speech so they can trim it.

She Said WHAT???????

Please please don't listen to her again. Lawd - these stylists!:nono:

Connie

The bolded is true and what gets me is that the same stylists will put a BSL weave in your hair, yet won't help you grow your own because they have to spend more time on it.

I have a stylist that cuts my ends at most of my touchups, but she knows the difference between cutting the ends and cutting to even the hair to one length, the latter of which is what most of "our" stylists end up doing. She seems to be supportive of me letting my hair grow as long as I can, but I do wonder what she'll say should it start reaching past BSL.

ThatJerseyGirl

Now see, the scissor happy sh__ will getchu caught up in the trick bag....the girl who effed my hair up last saturday....ask her. I bet she won't screw up on another client's hair again... I had to take it there....took her to the streets....it's not a game when you take out so much time trying to grow your hair out, and some ugly, bald headed brokeback stylist wants to come along and cut it.....