Seamless Comb Lovers!! Shout Out Your Favorites!!

Hairties

I got my Magic Rake and the everyday styler 5580. I detangled with the rake and it was great. The other comb I wanted was out of stock but I will pick another up in the future.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Haircombs is having a 15% off sale. I think I'm going to pick up the magic star rake mini, and some other combs. The code is summerend (I think they brought it back).

Last edited:

uofmpanther

What is the difference between the jumbo and the mini? Is it the space between the teeth? Can you show us a side by side photo?
TIA!

The spacing on the teeth is about the same, but the mini is smaller in with and height. It has six rows of teeth instead of 8, and the teeth are shorter. Holding the mini is easier for me, though they work about the same.

Alma Petra

The spacing on the teeth is about the same, but the mini is smaller in with and height. It has six rows of teeth instead of 8, and the teeth are shorter. Holding the mini is easier for me, though they work about the same.

Perfect. I'll be getting the mini one then once this no-buy is over. I hope that it will still be there though. It seems like it's the only one left in stock now :nervous2:

Theresamonet

One more vote for Hercules Sagemann combs. I have several of their combs and love them all.
https://hotcombs.net/

I do not recommend Hairsense. I purchased 3 seamless combs from them a few years ago and all of them were flawed. They had split teeth, and rough edges. One of them actually had hair stuck in one split tooth. And I couldn't get it out. I took pictures and sent them to Customer Service. The owner apologized profusely and sent me 5 new combs to replace the 3 I had purchased. She told me to keep the original three. So I got eight combs for the price of three. Three of the five new combs still had rough edges. I took all of them to a friend of mine who is a carpenter. He smoothed and polished all of them for me. So I ended up with five beautiful combs, but I had to put in too much work to get there. And I'm still afraid to really use them everyday - I have bad comb PTSD. So I have relegated them to purse, travel and office combs.

Combs: 1 star
Customer Service: 5+ stars

For everyday combing I use my Sagemann combs. They are the BEST. Smooth as silk and never any catching or snagging. The quality is exceptional and I don't think I'll ever have to buy another comb in my life. I wish I could find good brushes on this level.

I have these:

https://hotcombs.net/product/hs1975-styling-comb/

https://hotcombs.net/product/hs5580-styler-comb/

https://hotcombs.net/product/hs696w-styling-comb/

https://hotcombs.net/product/hs6450-tail-comb/

https://hotcombs.net/product/magic-star-rake-set/

https://hotcombs.net/product/matador-pick/

@curlicarib Do you mind telling me what you think about the Hercules Sägemann 1975 comb?

I just sent back two Hairsense combs (jumbo and #206) because they both had splits in the teeth. I was so disappointed because the #206 is my favorite comb design, and I can’t find that comb anywhere else. My mom had one years ago that was perfect, so I don’t know why they’ve fallen off so bad. Anyhow, I purchased the Magic Star jumbo rake and the 1975 as replacements for the bone combs. But I’m scared to use the 1975 because of that sharp ridge at the base of the comb. Have you had any issues with it?

uofmpanther

@curlicarib Do you mind telling me what you think about the Hercules Sägemann 1975 comb?

I just sent back two Hairsense combs (jumbo and #206) because they both had splits in the teeth. I was so disappointed because the #206 is my favorite comb design, and I can’t find that comb anywhere else. My mom had one years ago that was perfect, so I don’t know why they’ve fallen off so bad. Anyhow, I purchased the Magic Star jumbo rake and the 1975 as replacements for the bone combs. But I’m scared to use the 1975 because of that sharp ridge at the base of the comb. Have you had any issues with it?

I do not recommend the 1975. As the website warns, the ridges are pointy and look rough on the hair. I would recommend either the HS7370 (contour) or the Magic Lady Star.

I also like the HS5580. This is the one I tend to use after my Magic Star Rake Comb.

Theresamonet

I do not recommend the 1975. As the website warns, the ridges are pointy and look rough on the hair. I would recommend either the HS7370 (contour) or the Magic Lady Star.

I also like the HS5580. This is the one I tend to use after my Magic Star Rake Comb.

Thanks. I’m going to order the HS5580. I like the sound of that comb. I don’t like dual or double sided things, so that’s why I’m passing on the contour and lady star.

I did tryout the 1975 on a small section of hair and it seemed to glide through nicely. But, yeah, I’m still concerned about the long term effect. And I knew that there was going to be a ridge where they removed every other tooth, but I was not expecting it to be like this. You’d think they would shave it down. :confused:

GGsKin

Thanks. I’m going to order the HS5580. I like the sound of that comb. I don’t like dual or double sided things, so that’s why I’m passing on the contour and lady star.

I did tryout the 1975 on a small section of hair and it seemed to glide through nicely. But, yeah, I’m still concerned about the long term effect. And I knew that there was going to be a ridge where they removed every other tooth, but I was not expecting it to be like this. You’d think they would shave it down. :confused:

The edges do feel sharp. I've used this comb when braiding other people's hair and I must say also love the way it glides through without snagging. It could be technique or a number of things but notice less /no hair in this comb when I use it on others, vs when I see them use their own (equivalent comb) on their hair. I love it for partings, as well as my metal rattail comb. Great precision.

I've used it on my hair but maybe only two or three times, and infequently because I tend to comb through my hair only every few months.

Theresamonet

The edges do feel sharp. I've used this comb when braiding other people's hair and I must say also love the way it glides through without snagging. It could be technique or a number of things but notice less /no hair in this comb when I use it on others, vs when I see them use their own (equivalent comb) on their hair. I love it for partings, as well as my metal rattail comb. Great precision.

I've used it on my hair but maybe only two or three times, and infequently because I tend to comb through my hair only every few months.

Yeah, the 1975 slid right through my hair very easily and there didn’t seem to be any interference by the ridge. It does part nicely too. But I don’t think I’ll be at peace using it knowing that ridge is there.

Is your pintail comb by Hercules Sagemann?

GGsKin

Yeah, the 1975 slid right through my hair very easily and there didn’t seem to be any interference by the ridge. It does part nicely too. But I don’t think I’ll be at peace using it knowing that ridge is there.

Is your pintail comb by Hercules Sagemann?

I feel you and should be comfortable that your combs aren't tearing up your hair.

No, it's a carbon Denman. I wanted to get one when I ordered the 1975 but I only really use the tip so I couldn't justify it. As soon as I need one (read lose or break my current one) I'll be ordering.

Theresamonet

I feel you and should be comfortable that your combs aren't tearing up your hair.

No, it's a carbon Denman. I wanted to get one when I ordered the 1975 but I only really use the tip so I couldn't justify it. As soon as I need one (read lose or break my current one) I'll be ordering.

Girl, ask me when I ever use a rattail comb. Lol But for some reason I feel like I NEED the HS6450. You know, for when use the comb-chase method to flat iron my hair (which I have not done in like 3 years). Or to smooth my ends around rollers (I’ve never done a roller set). :lol: That comb is still coming to live at my house though.

GGsKin

Girl, ask me when I ever use a rattail comb. Lol But for some reason I feel like I NEED the HS6450. You know, for when use the comb-chase method to flat iron my hair (which I have not done in like 3 years). Or to smooth my ends around rollers (I’ve never done a roller set). :lol: That comb is still coming to live at my house though.

:lol: Those are all the reasons I will have it too. But I already bought and lost my mini magic rake and I used that comb on myself like five times! So I will wait....unless stock dwindles:look:. I've had bouffant French rollers here for a couple of years now for when I do a roller set on my bsb/mbl/wl hair:look:. I have no hood dryer and no interest in a heat less roller set but I couldn't miss out on those rollers. So this is me showing restraint.

Theresamonet

:lol: Those are all the reasons I will have it too. But I already bought and lost my mini magic rake and I used that comb on myself like five times! So I will wait....unless stock dwindles:look:. I've had bouffant French rollers here for a couple of years now for when I do a roller set on my bsb/mbl/wl hair:look:. I have no hood dryer and no interest in a heat less roller set but I couldn't miss out on those rollers. So this is me showing restraint.

I was just in a thread about a month ago talking about I wish I had purchased those bouffant rollers. I don’t even have enough hair to do a legit roller set. :lol:

Theresamonet

I’m thinking I may try to shave the ridge points down on the 1975 comb. I just purchased these three combs below. These, along with my jumbo rake, should meet all of my combing needs present and future. Lol

02B0DFAB-017D-45B0-ADCD-D5E7DED4055D.jpeg 4813029B-EB86-4BDE-AD8E-AB24E702FD94.jpeg B0D1E800-C02A-4A5B-8B92-87E70BB2733D.jpeg

Sally.

I was just about to order some hairsense combs. Aw man. I have the jumbo rake and while it worked well for my relaxed/transitioning hair, now that my I’m using natural products and my curls are super defined, I need a seamless comb with narrower teeth.