PLEASE be careful with "seamless" resin combs (LONG)

FindingMe

I purchased a seamless ghair 100% Organic Resin Med Tooth Rake Comb for $13 on Feb. 1, '08 and yesterday I was combing my hair and the comb, which is supposed to be seamless, grabbed a chunk of my hair and pulled it out!!!! Upon closer inspection of the comb, it has two teeth that have/had hairline cracks in them and snagged the hair. My hair snagged so hard, it chipped the top of the teeth. As you can see, the split on the tooth that holds my hair goes nearly all the way down to the base of the comb!

I contacted the company and requested another comb and they sent me the following reply:

Thank you for your email to inform us of this occurrence.
Please note that although, the ghair Organic Resin combs are in fact seamless combs, at times the resin may crack due to friction, heat and/or shock. The ghair Organic Resin combs are not plastic; therefore they are in fact more fragile. Nonetheless, we would ask that you return the comb to us to the following location. After which, a replacement comb will be shipped out to you.
:ohwell::perplexed ummm....ok.....2 months???...ok.....

I have enclosed a pic of the comb (with my hair still attached...OUCH!) and a pic of the whole comb. (click larger to view)

I just wanted to send a shout out to let you know, bc I have recommended this comb several times to various folks on the board.

Attachments

• seamless comb2.JPG
    seamless comb2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 443

JustKiya

OUCH!!!

See, that is why I had to switch from using my bone combs, as leaving them in the shower ended up with those same lifted bits.

:yep: I'll be checking my Mason Pearsons before I use them, everytime now. I wonder if that sort of thing happens often?

FindingMe

OUCH!!!

See, that is why I had to switch from using my bone combs, as leaving them in the shower ended up with those same lifted bits.

:yep: I'll be checking my Mason Pearsons before I use them, everytime now. I wonder if that sort of thing happens often?

I have NO idea, but I am just bummed bc I have like 10 of these things, in ALL shapes and sizes...I thought I was making an investment, doing something GREAT for my hair and that they would last forever like my Denman brush has....

:ohwell:, I guess you live and learn....I'll be inspecting them every time now, too. So far, the others are still OK...

JustKiya

I have NO idea, but I am just bummed bc I have like 10 of these things, in ALL shapes and sizes...I thought I was making an investment, doing something GREAT for my hair and that they would last forever like my Denman brush has....

:ohwell:, I guess you live and learn....I'll be inspecting them every time now, too. So far, the others are still OK...

:yep: At least they are replacing it, and all you have to pay is shipping back. From that point of view, it really is an investment, ya know? It's inconvenient, but you know Goody would be like 'Tough Luck!'

FindingMe

:yep: At least they are replacing it, and all you have to pay is shipping back. From that point of view, it really is an investment, ya know? It's inconvenient, but you know Goody would be like 'Tough Luck!'

yep, i am sending that puppy back in the mail today!!! with the hair still in it!!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:

chebaby

thats a lot of hair. sorry this happened to you. this looks just like my comb except im pretty sure its plastic and i got it from cvs. i've had it for about two or three years and its never done this. and now since i'm taking care of my hair the comb is even better. you should try cvs and see how you like it. its much cheaper than 13 dollars so if you dont like it its no love lost.

InnerSoul

:nono:.. I am glad that they are replacing it.

and I think its a great idea to send the defected one with your hair still attached to it... that way they will see what happened!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I just gasped audibly at that picture. I hope your head is ok. Looks painful.

Thanks for the warning.

nodisrespect

ouch! Have you used it on wet hair a lot? That probably could have contributed to the wood splitting. I'll stick with my plastic comb.

Daisy'sHair

At least you noticed it and it's great that they are trying to rectify the situation. I have never heard of the resin combs now I have to check them out.

FindingMe

thats a lot of hair. sorry this happened to you. this looks just like my comb except im pretty sure its plastic and i got it from cvs. i've had it for about two or three years and its never done this. and now since i'm taking care of my hair the comb is even better. you should try cvs and see how you like it. its much cheaper than 13 dollars so if you dont like it its no love lost.

i probably will try it...i thought I was doing something good for my hair by getting an expensive seamless comb...was it the same color?

FindingMe

:nono:.. I am glad that they are replacing it.

and I think its a great idea to send the defected one with your hair still attached to it... that way they will see what happened!

yep!:yep: i sent them the pic that's attached, so they know what to expect....I started laughing at myself when I whipped out the digital camera minutes after it whipped out my hair!!:lachen: you know you are truly nikko's cuz, when you document every hair event by photo...:lachen:

but..um...on the real- that sucka hurt:blush: and I just now am able to laugh about it!

FindingMe

ouch! Have you used it on wet hair a lot? That probably could have contributed to the wood splitting. I'll stick with my plastic comb.

Yeah, I was like "WTH?!?!?" seeee......that's just it! I NEVER use this one on wet hair.:nono: My hair is always dry bc the times are too close together for me to use on wet hair. I use the larger spaced detangler on wet hair...

I truly think it was something that happened in the manufacturing process where they filed the seams down and it got cracked...

lilamae

:blush:i have this EXACT same comb. I only use it when I detangle in the shower under running water. But perhaps I should be more cautious.

wonderstar

Thanks for the heads up I have that very comb along with two others and plan to purchase at least two more.

I'm going to carry out an inspection :grin:.

Anyone know how to care for the combs? What's the best way to cleanse the comb and should it be oiled after?

FindingMe

Thanks for the heads up I have that very comb along with two others and plan to purchase at least two more.

I'm going to carry out an inspection :grin:.

Anyone know how to care for the combs? What's the best way to cleanse the comb and should it be oiled after?

oooh, that's a good question. lemme email the company and I'll see what they say? I'll post their response tomorrow.:yep: for those interested in response, check back-

Last edited:

Blackbird77

I purchased a seamless ghair 100% Organic Resin Med Tooth Rake Comb for $13 on Feb. 1, '08 and yesterday I was combing my hair and the comb, which is supposed to be seamless, grabbed a chunk of my hair and pulled it out!!!! Upon closer inspection of the comb, it has two teeth that have/had hairline cracks in them and snagged the hair. My hair snagged so hard, it chipped the top of the teeth. As you can see, the split on the tooth that holds my hair goes nearly all the way down to the base of the comb!

I contacted the company and requested another comb and they sent me the following reply:

Thank you for your email to inform us of this occurrence.
Please note that although, the ghair Organic Resin combs are in fact seamless combs, at times the resin may crack due to friction, heat and/or shock. The ghair Organic Resin combs are not plastic; therefore they are in fact more fragile. Nonetheless, we would ask that you return the comb to us to the following location. After which, a replacement comb will be shipped out to you.
:ohwell::perplexed ummm....ok.....2 months???...ok.....

I have enclosed a pic of the comb (with my hair still attached...OUCH!) and a pic of the whole comb. (click larger to view)

I just wanted to send a shout out to let you know, bc I have recommended this comb several times to various folks on the board.

I had one just like that a few years ago. It snapped right in half. I use water a lot when styling my hair and apparently it weakened the comb and made it soft.

ajargon02

OUCH!!!

I was thinking the same thing!! My goodness!! Now I know what comb NOT to buy!!!:nono:

Lucky's Mom

WOWSERS

Mason Pearson may be the way to go

What about Krest bone Combs?
I have two of those - I have dropped them a million times

Evazhair

Wow, sorry that happened to you. Good thing they are replacing them. Since I bought my first one from hairsense which was thinner than honeyfig's, I have been anal about inspecting, cleaning and drying them after I use them. I also store them wrapped up in a towel in a clear crate on top of my rollers.when I travel I keep them well cushioned in my purse. I am clumsy and I know that if dropped at the right angle it will be a wrap! This is a good warning, because everyone doesn't realize that the resin does not have the same properties as plastic.

Miss*Tress

I've had the same Goody comb for about 20 years and it's just as good today as the day I bought it.

Thanks for the warning, FindingMe. I'm always looking at those fancy combs thinking I should get one or two.

FindingMe

for those of you that wanted to know how to care for the ones you do still own...no word yet from the company on how to care for them. i sent them an email yesterday evening and got no response today...i'll keep you posted...:yep:

poookie

yee-owch! i'd be MAD if a so-called seamless comb did that to me!

thanks for the warning. i was actually looking into getting a seamless comb, but for now i'll stick with my 99 cent hot pink wide toothed annie comb, it hasn't failed me yet! :yep: