Self-Relax or Salon: 2011 Edition

Are you self-relaxed or do you go to a salon?

• Self-Relaxed

Votes: 73 60.8%
  • Salon

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • My Mom does it for me

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My Friend/Other Family Member does it for me

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EbonyCPrincess

I go to the salon, however I am considering going back to self relaxing. I am really having a hard time deciding because I think my hair is relaxed MUCH better at the salon but I also want some specific things done to it. Such as protein treating before neutralizing and using Roux Porosity control. I don't have any friends that do hair at all (its just me) and so I'd have to do it myself and I know from prior experience that I am not that great at doing it myself. *le sigh* decisions decisions!

Brownie518

I Self Relax

H to the N on the salon visits

Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Self relaxer checking in. :yep:

I got excellent tips from here and from that site that used to be free but now costs a grip to join. Forgot the name, she makes videos and whatnot.

CA*Nappy

I am relaxing my daughter hair now. I vote for self relax. Just read through some self relax support threads for confidence and go to the salon for a trim and style.

Salon. My stylist agrees with much of the LHCF ideals when it comes to black hair care, and is up on her stuff. :yep: So for relaxers I know my head is in good hands.

But someday it would be super nice to self-lax on your own. More self-efficiently! :yep:

Raine054

I go to the salon but if I could do it myself I would. There is only 1 salon within 1.5 hours of my city and the stylist continuously under-processes me. I just don't have any other choice.

Cocoeuro

I recently self-relaxed after being natural for 3 years.

I don't think a stylist will understand that I have 3 different textures in my hair, I did not even know of all the different textures until I wore my hair natural.

Some sections of my hair does not need to be relaxed at all and the relaxer needs to be left in longer than others.

blackberry815

Back to salon relaxers. I came to the realization that I cannot see the back of my head and need someone else to make sure I'm not getting any relaxer on my scalp. I only started self relaxing because I had scalp burns but after much thought who knows if it was really her fault. Oh well my hair comes out better when she does it, she can see the back of my head clearly, she has the proper facilities to do relaxers, (got tired of sticking my head in the sink and wettin up the floor) plus I have no more anxiety about self relaxing. Win Win.

Chioniso

Back to salon relaxers. I came to the realization that I cannot see the back of my head and need someone else to make sure I'm not getting any relaxer on my scalp. I only started self relaxing because I had scalp burns but after much thought who knows if it was really her fault. Oh well my hair comes out better when she does it, she can see the back of my head clearly, she has the proper facilities to do relaxers, (got tired of sticking my head in the sink and wettin up the floor) plus I have no more anxiety about self relaxing. Win Win.

Have you seen 360 degree mirrors like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professiona...VXS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319795849&sr=8-2

Chioniso

My mom currently does it but I will be going to the salon for my next relaxer. My hair is getting too thick for her to manage in a reasonable time.

SuchaLady
There is a Youtube video I saw recently of this lady who self relaxes and what she does is she does half of her head first, keeping the other covered in a shower cap and then does the second half. basically like relaxing two people and that way she can deal with the hair without some being over/under processed. Sorry I don't know the name or have the link but maybe someone else might know.

janeemat

Self relaxer here! I am not bone straight, but I think I would like to be now. I seem to have too many textures going on trying not to overprocess.

blackberry815

Thanks but the few times i self relaxed I put a mirror on a chair behind me in the bathroom but every motion.that i do is in reverse so it slows me down a bit...and u cant exactly zoom in to my new growth... So the mirror is still a distance away not as close as the hair dresser is when shes standing behind me....thanks for the tip tho

Sent from my ADR6400L

Mische

I'm mom-laxed again after 4 years of salon relaxers. I don't see myself ever going back to a salon, so I'll eventually have to learn how to do this myself. Maybe it'll be a 2013 goal... I'm not ready just yet. :lol:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am self relaxed now but in 2012 I will be salon relaxed. I have too much anxeity doing it my self thus stetching for 2 separate 1 yr stretchs.

blessedandlucky

I made the huge mistake, in retrospect, of having highlights put in. I will be salon relaxed until they completely grow out. Although, oddly enough I was doing just fine until I went back to the salon for the color.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Aggie

I have been to many salons watching how stylists relaxed other patrons hair and after countless times of watching them pull the relaxer all through the previously relaxed hair, I was like :shocked: what the helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll to the no - they ain't touchin' my hair.

As a result I am a DIYourselfer for life with the exception of my trims - now I don't trust myself with the scissor:grin: and I make sure to go to my stylist who understands and supports my hair objectives:yep:.

blackberry815

I have been to many salons watching how stylists relaxed other patrons hair and after countless times of watching them pull the relaxer all through the previously relaxed hair, I was like :shocked: what the helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll to the no - they ain't touchin' my hair.

As a result I am a DIYourselfer for life with the exception of my trims - now I don't trust myself with the scissor:grin: and I make sure to go to my stylist who understands and supports my hair objectives:yep:.

I think that sometimes u have to keep the goals of the patrons in mind. Some people actually want that done.... Probably most people. If you're not a lhcf member when u get a relaxer u probably want ur hair silky bone straight. Just because you see them do it to one doesn't mean they will do it to all. No two heads of hair are exactly alike. Some stylists may pull the relaxer through in the end to make sure the hair texture is even throughout and there's nothing wrong with it. Someone may need a corrective relaxer with lye over no lye to remove calcium.buildup... Or if someone had a few underprocessed relaxers in the past they may need that done if they are not texlaxing.

In general lhcf is anti-stylist but its very one sided. We are so hard on stylists here... We forget they actually go through extensive training to do what they do. Not all stylist are great either but..... I used to watch my stylist like a hawk but theres no sense in that. I trust that she's a professional. She knows my likes and dislikes and listens to my requests... At first i was afraid to speak up but now it would be easier for me to give her specific requests.. I think once we learn to speak up things get better. I went off on a tangent but anyhow, I've learned that communication is key.

If you don't like the way ur sylist does anything speak up and explain your concerns before just leaving and never going back... She may just have a very good explanation for the methods she uses on some particular clients.