Self-Relax or Salon: 2011 Edition

Are you self-relaxed or do you go to a salon?

• Self-Relaxed

Votes: 73 60.8%
  • Salon

Votes: 37 30.8%
  • My Mom does it for me

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My Friend/Other Family Member does it for me

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LiftedUp

I'm back to the salon.

About three weeks ago I used to self relax and go to the salon randomly however, my hair was not looking good. The middle was chewed up because of the bunning (no matter how much extra moisture I put there), I have patches of underprocessed hair and my hair was uneven. I know that hair doesn't necessarily grow evenly but I've found a new stylist, she chopped me down to APL and relaxed me but not bone straight. My hair finally looks 'did':yep: and I've started to style my hair in the morning and have laid off of the PS. I think I'm too young to have my hair looking how it was looking before. My only issue is that she seems to be scissor happy but she respects my decision to minimal trims and I vetoed the cut because I really was looking frumpy. I realized that like sewing, I'm just not good at hair. Oh well, I hope that I've found a home with this new stylist. Next year I'm hoping to do my first weave with her:look:.

I know that you weren't expecting a narrative, sorry:lol:.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm thinking about going to the School in a couple weeks and asking for an Advanced Student to relax & neutralize me.

I'll come home and re-neutralize, chelate protein, DC & finish up. I called. They use Affirm & Design Essentials. I use to get D.E. at the Salon, so maybe I'll try Affirm.

I'm just tired of being underprocessed. Imma give it some more thought. I have a box of 4 Mizani BB's sitting here.................

sunnieb

^^^Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp is the one relaxer I can count on to get me straight all over!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
sunnieb I'm still toying with my decision. This is something I should have learned how to do in college. Instead, I relied on the Salon.

The Ladies in U1B1 Challenged me to have this process down by the End of this Year. So, I'm not sure if I'll give it 1 mo' try or not. I'm never 100% satisfied with my results.

So, I'm still going back & forth.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I self relaxed once or twice while away at college then dropped that fast and found a stylist. For some reason I'd rather do the research to find a good stylist than learn to self relax. Since I go only five times a year, I enjoy having someone else do it for me. I don't enjoy doing my hair as much as I used to now that it's longer and especially close to touch up time. I like doing DD's though. I will say, the time until finding that good stylist is stressful.

ETA I'm texlaxed.

Last edited:

sunnieb

blackberry815 - absolutely! I find that I have to clip the twists out of the way as my hair has grown, but I can see twisting whatever length I have.

It ensures that I coat all of my previously relaxed hair and that my hair is already parted for fast relaxer application.

Sent from my Comet

bebezazueta

After self relaxing for years, I finally went to a salon and it was a GREAT experience! She listened to me, I requested Mizani BB mild & she went out & bought it for me! She doesn't believe in overlapping & over processing & she did not relax me bone straight but it was full body straight! AMAZING! And she believes in relaxer stretching too.

My MBB relaxed hair is moisturized, soft & shiny. I love it! Even though I needed a trim she didn't force one on me. I told her my plans of blunt cutting once I reach my final goal of HL but I'm dusting in the meantime.

My mom and sister been going to her for years and she grew my sisters hair from neck length to BSB then after a bad birth control experience my sister was back to NL & now she is past SL again with super blunt ends. She's a course 4b too.

She has flat ironed & cut my hair in bomb layers prior to my HHJ & did an awesome job! First time getting a relaxer from her though.

This is the longest and thickest my hair has ever been and relaxer day was getting to be too stressful especially since I stretch past 12 weeks! Thank the Lord the stress is over!

kupenda

Self relaxer! But I would go to a salon again. I like doing it myself because my hair processes differently in different areas. My crown is very coarse but sometimes it gets straight really quick. I also neutralize a trillion and one times after, and I DC for a long time.

ETA im aiming for bone laxed, but right now I'm not completely straight

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

lux10023

i have been using mizani bb lye for the last yr or so..as a textlax..but grew tired of the texlaxed thing - i wanted a straighter-sleeker look--so i bought two boxes of the dark and lovely no-lye..and relaxed my hair myself-- i did a great job...was kinda scared since i had a whole lotta hair to deal with..plus going from lye to no-lye didnt want to damage my tresses...i followed the instructions to a T ( kept reading the same 5 steps like one hundred times lmaoooo)--whats interesting is this new second step thing

b4 neutralizing shampoo..putting in a treatment--while i get it--im always scared because for me i want to stop the relaxing process as soon as possible

anyhoo i did a great job..hair came out thick and felt healthy..and will be self-relaxing going forward...my relaxed tresses are perfectly argan oiled up under my lf for the ny winter...
and sorry for committing a lhcf rule no no--no i dont have any pitchas...

sunnieb

Thanks to everyone who voted!

Looks like most of us are self-relaxers. I know firing my stylist was the best thing I ever did for my hair! :yep: