September 2016: Hits & Misses

Hit:
DevaCurl No Poo(s). I love the original and probably will invest in a liter bottle eventually, but the menthol really burns my eyes something awful. Decadence takes the cake because of this.

Flaxseed gel. It gave me 3 day hold. Third day twist out was bae; didn't even need to retwist.

QB CTDG. Definitely a repurchase. Goes on well and allows me to style/twist without the ouches of sudden tangles. I can live with that. It's marketed to "condition" but I might just start using it as a butter. It's comparable to MHC Buttery Soy, just the humectant free version.

MHC Buttery Soy. Love the texture and moisture. I just cannot use it with a leave in that has humectants unless I'm bunning.

Revisited Hits:
APB Moisturizing Conditioner
SD Wheat Germ Butter Conditioner
NG Chamomile and Burdock Conditioner

Hit: Salon Selectives Damage Repair treatment

I brought it into the shower with me and even brought another conditioner because I figured after this screwed up my hair I'd need some backup :lol: This stuff is the bomb.com and it only cost $1 for 6oz at the Dollar Tree. I put it on my hair and it detangled almost instantly, from root to tip. I put a plastic cap on my head while I finished my shower and by the time I went to go rinse, I kept rinsing because I thought there was still conditioner in my hair but it was just soft. I blow dried and my hair fell nice and fluffily into place. The rest of Salon Selectives products that I've tried are trash but this is definitely a keeper. For only $1 I will most definitely have this in my stash. Beware though, it has hydrolyzed keratin in it so if you're protein sensitive you might want to be careful.

Super, Duper Hit
APB Lotus Flower Feminine Wash - Yeah this one was love at first wash. I tried another brand's feminine wash and it irritated me something fierce plus the texture was really thick and a little difficult to work with. APB's wash is super gentle and you don't need to use a lot of it.
@Miss Kane did the thing with this one! I've found myself loving her body and face products more and more lately.

Super, Duper Hit
APB Lotus Flower Feminine Wash - Yeah this one was love at first wash. I tried another brand's feminine wash and it irritated me something fierce plus the texture was really thick and a little difficult to work with. APB's wash is super gentle and you don't need to use a lot of it.
@Miss Kane did the thing with this one! I've found myself loving her body and face products more and more lately.

Dang it!

* heads off to create a new mock cart while another cart is still on the way*

What is the consistency of yours? Mine was a tough jello. Hard to use. Didn't seem to work.

The first one I bought was loose and slippery and I liked mixing it with CES. But the newer one I just bought was the same consistency as yours, like a solid gelatin. I was mad because I bought it to use as a mixing agent. I wonder if I can melt it to get it to that loose consistency. Anyway, Shea Moisture is too big a company to be having consistency issues.

Because I don't know where else to put this...

Calling...
@IDareT'sHair , @Saludable84 , @rileypak , @PJaye , @shawnyblazes , @flyygirlll2 , @NaturallyATLPCH .....and anyone else who wants to answer!!

What are some skin care hits? What lines do you guys like? I usually use Shea Moisture's body products but since they are tripping with the sales, I am thinking of trying a new line for BF. Suggestions?

ETA: Looking for scrubs, lotions/butters, facial masks, skin care, body oils, etc.

Thanks ladies! :bighug:

New Hits
Kenra moisturizing conditioner. This is very moisturizing and has amazing slip.
NetWurks Hair revitalizer. This does my scalp right and does what it claims.

Continued Hits
APB's LI's and refreshers
APB's coffee cowash
NG's sweet plantain LI
QB's BRBC

Miss
Trying to stay in my endless stash and not feed my urge to shop :cry3:

@AgeinATL

My favorite lines for skin care:

• Shea Terra Organics (face soap, masks, facial oils, toner, face creams; has a standing 30% off discount each month, this month's code is sep2016)
  • Alaffia (body.wash)
  • Sarenzo (lotion/butters)
  • APB (body.wash, feminine wash, toner, face moisturizer)
  • Soap & Glory (body scrub; brand is available at Ulta and supposedly coming to Wal.greens soon too)
  • Amlactin (lotion, creams; use mostly in the winter, Tar.get is usually where I buy mine)

Last edited:

Calling...
@IDareT'sHair , @Saludable84 , @rileypak , @PJaye , @shawnyblazes , @flyygirlll2 , @NaturallyATLPCH .....and anyone else who wants to answer!!

What are some skin care hits? What lines do you guys like? I usually use Shea Moisture's body products but since they are tripping with the sales, I am thinking of trying a new line for BF. Suggestions?

ETA: Looking for scrubs, lotions/butters, facial masks, skin care, body oils, etc.

You wanna be regular degular, feeling and smelling nice, I would recommend Bekura, Jakeala and APB.

You wanna be extrodinary, you need to mosey over to the Skincare Section and search for CaraWalkers how to be a better black woman thread.

Now, since you asked...for me, I can tell you a few things:
-I have a Korean towel which is super rough so I use it once a month when I soak in a bath.
-I have a Japanese towel as well as a knock-off I got from Kroger. The real one I use daily, the knock off is rougher and I only use that after I exfoliate with scrub.
-I make my own scrubs with old espresso grounds, cocoa powder and butter, other oils and preservative (coffee oils get rancid quick). I can send you one if you want.
-I use SM SI or C&RS body wash, along with Dr. Bronners in Lavendar and Rose. Nothing fancy. I have Marie France Kojic Acid soap, which will have your body super smooth, but I use it more for my face and just parts I want to lighten up safely. When this stuff runs out or Whole Paycheck has a decent sale, or I can get to Nicholas in Harlem, I will go back to Nubian Heritage Goats Milks and Chai or Indian Hemp and Haitain Vetiver. They are by far the best body product line I've ever used.
-Moisturize a couple days a week with Alpha AHA lotion (Ulta) and Bekura Balsamic Jelee (lasts a while, you only need a little).

Face is mostly MUAC right now.
-Wild Oats and Honey Cleanser 1-2x daily.
-TCA peel once seasonally.
-Mandelic Acid Peels weekly.
-DMAE Toner is good, but I want better. Will be ordering the Mandelic Acid Toner today.
-Vitamin C&E and Mandelic Acid Serum. I have Phytocell which I only use after peels.
-Fresh Lotus Complex 7, Belif Aqua Bomb and FAB night cream (get samples at Sephora, they are usually pretty generous).

Calling...

I dont use any lines on my face really, other than SM African Black soap masque. Im pretty simple with my skin. Black soap to wash, Cream and Cocoa ACV to tone and a little coconut oil afterwards.

sorry sis. The others will chime in for you. My skin acts a plum fool.

I only use Sarenzo Body frostings for our body in the house and on occasion Cream and Coco skin tinctures

I dont use any lines on my face really, other than SM African Black soap masque. Im pretty simple with my skin. Black soap to wash, Cream and Cocoa ACV to tone and a little coconut oil afterwards.

sorry sis. The others will chime in for you. My skin acts a plum fool.

I only use Sarenzo Body frostings for our body in the house and on occasion Cream and Coco skin tinctures
@shawnyblazes
I have very sensitive skin so I also keep my skincare simple. My fav's for my face are Jakeala's activated charcoal soap and her toner. Those keep my face really clear and I use Cerave's AM and PM face lotions.

I have very sensitive skin so I also keep my skincare simple. My fav's for my face are Jakeala's activated charcoal soap and her toner. Those keep my face really clear and I use Cerave's AM and PM face lotions.

Me too. I use Ceta-phil on my face or I'll end up in the dermatologist office. I can't play around with a lot of stuff on my face.

Super, Duper Hit
How does Lotus Flower compare to Down There?

My friend used this the other week for a wng. It was a complete greasy mess. Maybe better for twisiting/ braiding. I do know she used a while lot of hit so that could've been her problem.

I used very little. I should also add SM Low Porosity Detangler to the Miss list because it went on like glue. I will have to was the stank away tomorrow for sure o_O

Calling...

My skin and body care routine is pretty simple, and consists of a few key items. After sampling an excruciating amount of products, these are my must-haves:

Body Butters, Creams & Oils
(these are some excellent products that can be used year round; all of these products offer long-lasting softness and moisture; I haven’t been ashy or dry in years since adding these to my routine)

- APB Hair & Body Butta
- APB Honey Body Glaze
- Bekura Whipped Custard Souffle Body Cream
- Smooth Naturals The Balm
- Smooth Naturals The Whip

Scrubs
(I use these all over my body, including my face; with these scrubs there is no need for further exfoliation; these always leave my skin feeling ultra soft, moisturized and dewy; no scrub has ever come close to performing like these...none!)
- Bask Cocoa Nibs & Banana Sugar Sorbet (Discontinued)
- Bekura Apricot Colada Sugar Scrub

Soaps
(IMO, these are the best soaps on the market; no matter which one I try, it will leave my face and skin feeling cleansed, but soft and moisturized)
- Cream & Coco Soap (assorted)

Back