Share Your Transitioning Regimen :)

EnExitStageLeft

OK! So as of December 31, 2011 I made the final and overall decision to transition :bouncy:. Its my 3rd attempt and I wanted to know what people were doing to help themselves along the way so that I could maybe incorporate some new techniques to help me not revert back to texlaxing. I'm currently in month 4 and things at this point are relatively easy (I use to be a long-term stretcher). However, after month 5 I don't know what my wash day outcomes will be.
So my uncertainty has brought me here, on the only hair site I stalk religiously for the answers to my many hair related questions :lachen:.

Whats your "Current" transitioning regimen and is there anything you intentionally plan on changing along the way?:grin:

My (CURRENT) Regimen:

Prepoo: W/ Ceramide oil on length and Growth oil on scalp

Cleansing: Shampoo 1/weekly: Lather Once or Twice (depends on amount build-up and silicone usage) with Sulfate, and Once with Sulfate-free shampoo

Deep Conditioning
: If straightening, I will first DC with a reconstructor, then follow up with a Moisturizing conditioner under my steamer.
If not straightening, I will DC with a moisturizing conditioner one week and use my straightening dc regimen the next. (I alternate this way to keep my moisture/ protein balance in check. )

Detangling: Done in the shower

Leave-ins
: Applied to moderately wet hair

Drying methods: I use the banding method air drying in one ponytail to about 60-90%(At this point this is the only thing subject to change, I might incorporate more sections). I then, if needed, blow dry my hair using the tension method till fully dry.

Styling: Since I'm a Pre-K teacher and a Full time college student, my styling is very basic. I will either M&S and oil my scalp and bun like a maniac or I will apply heat protectants and straighten. However, 75% of the time, I usually end up in a bun :lol:.

T.I.A!
-ENEXiT!

Nonie

I shared the way I did it here, but you'll also find in there links to a longer thread on transitioning without BCing.

newbeginnings2010

I'm in love with this thread already! I've been wanting to post something like this and I'm glad you did! Here's my regimen, although it is subject to change because I'm still working on it.

Prepoo: with Shea Moisture conditioner (in yellow container) applied like a relaxer but from root to tip, and detangle in four sectioned off bantu knots

Shampoo: Once per week. I lather once, but THOROUGHLY clean with CON shampoo in four sections

Deep Conditioning: Going back to DCing with Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat for 20-30 minutes

Leave-ins: After hair has air-dried, Redken Butter Treat again and Africa's Best Herbal Oil to seal.

Drying methods: Currently I leave it in the four sections, squeeze out the excess water and gently towel dry as much as possible. I was air-drying in the four sections ponytailed overnight, but since my hair NEVER gets dry this way, I'm going to update this. This week I'm going to try LIGHTLY blow-drying the demarcation line (the part that is NEVER dry in the morning), plait it up in 8-10 plaits, and air dry overnight this way.

Styling: Buns...that's it. I'll find something else eventually...I think...

Last edited:
My regimen has changed in the almost two years I've been transitioning :lachen: At the moment, I keep it sweet and simple by listening to my hair.

Regimen:

Shampoo once a month
Cowash once a week (at least)
Deep condition once every two weeks
Henna once every 2-3 months
Moisturize and seal at least once a day (Sometimes I can get by with every other day)
I only air dry (no blow drying)
As for styling, I pretty much do buns, twists (as best as I can do them :lol: and under a beret), twist outs, and braid outs
I trim my relaxed ends every two months
No heat (as of late)

EnExitStageLeft

My regimen has changed in the almost two years I've been transitioning :lachen: At the moment, I keep it sweet and simple by listening to my hair.

Regimen:

Shampoo once a month
Cowash once a week (at least)
Deep condition once every two weeks
Henna once every 2-3 months
Moisturize and seal at least once a day (Sometimes I can get by with every other day)
I only air dry (no blow drying)
As for styling, I pretty much do buns, twists (as best as I can do them :lol: and under a beret), twist outs, and braid outs
I trim my relaxed ends every two months
No heat (as of late)

I'm thinking of mini twisting this summer away, but I dont know yet. I tried it once before and it ended in a stringy, sticky disaster :/

newbeginnings2010

I LOVE your regimen it seems so simple, yet effective. Do you like the redken? I was thinking about trying it.

Thanks! The Redken is the only thing I've found that softened my natural hair, but I don't apply it directly to my natural hair. I apply it to the dry relaxed hair after air drying, then apply Africa's Best Herbal Oil, then bun, and it eventually made it's way to my natural hair the next day.

Last edited:

MsDee14

I am 6 months post and my transition regimen is as follows:

Every 3 weeks-
*Detangle dry hair in 10-12 sections (well I dampen a bit with Aloe Vera Juice mixed with glycerin, Safflower Oil, Vitamin E oil and Rosemary Oil)
*Apply ORS Replenishing Conditioner to my hair
*Section each section off into little ponytails
*Wash hair in those ponytails
*Either ponytail roller-set my hair or airdry in twists to twist my own hair

If I ponytail roller-set, I keep my hair out for a week then twist for the following 2 weeks. (I may rinse my scalp when I have twists)
If I twist my my hair, I keep the twists in for 2 weeks and rock a braid-out or braid n curl for 1 week.

I moisturize with my Aloe Vera mix and seal with Shea-Butter. The only commercial products I use are Shampoo and DC.

That's it.
Very simple, no breakage and I get to enjoy my hair.
I will be putting single braids in for the summer though and will try more transitioning styles with my hair out once I reach 12 months post.

I did a blog post on my wash day that you can read here:
http://6footlonghair.blogspot.com/2012/04/wash-day-in-review.html

*tried to post the pics, but they were too big

EnExitStageLeft

newbeginnings2010 said:
The Redken is the only thing I've found that softened my natural hair, but I don't apply it directly to my natural hair. I apply it to the dry relaxed hair after air drying, then apply Africa's Best Herbal Oil, then bun, and it eventually made it's way to my natural hair the next day.

wow, so do you take care of your new growth during your leave in application? Or does your natural hair just retain moisture easily?

EnExitStageLeft

MsDee14 said:
I am 6 months post and my transition regimen is as follows:

Every 3 weeks-
*Detangle dry hair in 10-12 sections (well I dampen a bit with Aloe Vera Juice mixed with glycerin, Safflower Oil, Vitamin E oil and Rosemary Oil)
*Apply ORS Replenishing Conditioner to my hair
*Section each section off into little ponytails
*Wash hair in those ponytails
*Either ponytail roller-set my hair or airdry in twists to twist my own hair

If I ponytail roller-set, I keep my hair out for a week then twist for the following 2 weeks. (I may rinse my scalp when I have twists)
If I twist my my hair, I keep the twists in for 2 weeks and rock a braid-out or braid n curl for 1 week.

I moisturize with my Aloe Vera mix and seal with Shea-Butter. The only commercial products I use are Shampoo and DC.

That's it.
Very simple, no breakage and I get to enjoy my hair.
I will be putting single braids in for the summer though and will try more transitioning styles with my hair out once I reach 12 months post.

I did a blog post on my wash day that you can read here:
http://6footlonghair.blogspot.com/2012/04/wash-day-in-review.html

*tried to post the pics, but they were too big

Hey....i read your blog and liked it. My question is what type of seamless comb do you own? I have the rake comb from hairsense and im less then impressed with it.

MsDee14

Hey....i read your blog and liked it. My question is what type of seamless comb do you own? I have the rake comb from hairsense and im less then impressed with it.

Thanks. I have the Hercules Sagemann Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb and the HS 1975 Styling Comb. I will never go back to a regular comb again.
I highly recommend the Jumbo Rake Comb, it glides through my hair so smoothly. The HS 1975 is okay..not the greatest. I only use that after detangling with the Jumbo Rake Comb.

newbeginnings2010

wow, so do you take care of your new growth during your leave in application? Or does your natural hair just retain moisture easily?

Kind of. After application, I bun. If it doesn't seem that the leave-ins absorbed into the roots the next day, I massage it in the bun for a few minutes. This works well for me.

I am two days away from being 25 months post! :grin: I wore braids for about 15 months of those 25 months to maintain my sanity and pursue my degree.

Protein week
-Section my hair into six braids wash session
-Shampoo and condition with Joico K-pak
-Use K-pak reconstructor.
-Apply leave in and jojoba to damp hair.
-Air dry in the same braids and then style.

Moisture Week
-The same as everything listed above, but shampoo and Condition with Trader Joe's Nourish OR Joico Moisture Recovery.

However, I think something clicked for my hair last night. I know that I have hard water in my apartment so last night I tried two new things. AO HSR and using my brita water to rinse my hair. Unfortunately I can't tell which one made the big difference but my hair feels amazing today! It's so lush, soft, shiny and defined. I'm in :love: My hair has never looked so moisturized, shiny and lush when dry and in its kinky/curly state.

As for styles, I've been in braids for 3/5 of my transition so that was my usual style. Outside of braids, I usually wear buns, updos or straighten.

What my hair looked like this morning (w/ the flash on) + how I section my hair. As you can see I section my hair how I plan to wear it i.e. today I have a side part with a bang and the rest is pulled back.

ETA: Hopefully the picture works now

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

I am two days away from being 25 months post! :grin: I wore braids for about 15 months of those 25 months to maintain my sanity and pursue my degree.

Protein week
-Section my hair into six braids wash session
-Shampoo and condition with Joico K-pak
-Use K-pak reconstructor.
-Apply leave in and jojoba to damp hair.
-Air dry in the same braids and then style.

Moisture Week
-The same as everything listed above, but shampoo and Condition with Trader Joe's Nourish OR Joico Moisture Recovery.

However, I think something clicked for my hair last night. I know that I have hard water in my apartment so last night I tried two new things. AO HSR and using my brita water to rinse my hair. Unfortunately I can't tell which one made the big difference but my hair feels amazing today! It's so lush, soft, shiny and defined. I'm in :love: My hair has never looked so moisturized, shiny and lush when dry and in its kinky/curly state.

As for styles, I've been in braids for 3/5 of my transition so that was my usual style. Outside of braids, I usually wear buns, updos or straighten.

What my hair looked like this morning (w/ the flash on) + how I section my hair. As you can see I section my hair how I plan to wear it i.e. today I have a side part with a bang and the rest is pulled back.
Your regimen sounds solid to me. PS is always the best choice. Question: have you ever tried avc rinses to combat the hard water? I did them while living in the dorms and they were AMAZING! O and I tried to look at the pic you posted however it wont let me :(

naturalmanenyc

My regimen changed so much during my transition (104 week/2 years). I did my hair at least once per week although I did not always wear my style outside. I detail my transition with photos, products and toold in my blog (link below).

Soulberry

My transition regimen is really simple I'm in kinky twists at this moment
and I will continue doing my hair in kinky twist for a year. I spray my hair
Every two days and Baggy mostly everyday. I'm getting good Results already.
I took my hair out and I already got 2 inches of new growth. I'm 9 weeks post
So I'm going Simple don't want any set backs :)

EnExitStageLeft

You regimen is simple and very low maintenance. Im sure thats preferred upon many. Maybe I should have took that route. I ended mu transition one week shy of 5 months. Not because it was hard,wayyyyy to much fgrogan lol

Last edited:

Sade18

My regimen is pretty simple.

• Co-wash twice a week
  • Deep condition once a week (before co-wash)
  • Apply leave-ins
  • Moisturize and Seal with Shea Butter and Water
  • Simple, low maintenance styles (i.e. twist outs, buns)

My full detailed reggie can be found here

McBrides3

hey i am transitioning as well.
I have thought about using hydratherma naturals but I decided to go with dominican hair products because they have worked for my hair in the past. This is the regimen I plan on using:

Co-wash: VO5 Conditioner-2x a week(On a daily basis)

Once a week: (alternating weekly)
As my Protein Treatment:
Salerm Protein Shampoo
Protein Balsam Conditioner
WHEAT GERM CONDITIONING TREAMTENT
Salerm 21 B5 Silk Protein LEAVE-IN Conditioner

Once a week: (alternating weekly)
For my Moisture Treatment:
Prepoo: Aceite Bomba Oil
Moisture Shampoo: Silicon Mix Shampoo
Conditioner: Crece Pelo Rinse Conditione
Moisture Treatment: Silicon Mix Conditioner
Leave in: Lacio Lacio Leave-In Conditioner

Hot Oil Treatment:
Alter Ego Impact Ego Garlic Hot Oil Treatment

I will M&S with: Hair Butter & Coconut Oil
I will use Wild Hair Growth Oil & Moisture: For Hair Growth and Daily Conditioning
My Vitamin: Hairfinity

MystiqueBabe

My regimen is simple. I know that for the most part my relaxed hair wants to be left alone. My hair likes protein. I think I am a 3c in front and very coarse in the back (kitchen area). My last relaxer was in Oct 2011.

Shampoo
I shampoo when needed but most of the time it's once a week. My rule is to wash my hair at least twice a month. I clarify the first week of the month. I do use sulfates because I also use cones.

Co-Wash
When needed but lately every 3 days. Some weeks I wont co-wash at all.

DC
Once a week or every other week. I do heat DC and overnight DC.

Daily Moisture
Mixture of water, olive oil, and conditioner and spray onto my NG and relaxed hair everyday to every other day. Or simply when my hair needs it. I seal with castor oil or sometimes I heavy seal with grease.

Styling
I don't do much with my hair it is usually up in a bun. Still experimenting with twist outs and the such but until then it's in a bun. I may straighten every once in a while and I only straighten the NG.

Other
I trim every 3 months 1/8 or 1/4 an inch.
I only play in my NG never the relaxed ends would be best if I don't touch my hair at all
I rarely use combs
I finger detangle in the shower, my tangles usually melt under running water alone
I love hair grease and use it 2-3 times a week on my scalp.

Last edited: