Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

abioni

I used my shea butter mix for two months with African Royal braids spray that has high amount of glycerin. My hair was breaking before that and now the breakage has stopped for the most part. Unfortunately my ends are thinner due to the breakage. I relaxed my hair and trimmed it a bit yesterday.

IMG_20180325_125140.jpg

Saga

The Generous Queen
I did a LOCB (Liquid Oil Cream Butter) on my hair tonight. Water as the liquid, CP oil as the oil, cantu leave in as the cream, and my whipped shea as the butter. I only put the oil on my scalp and edges, spritzed by hair with water, then added a layer of leave in then sealed with the shea. Currently my braids are beneath a conditioning cap as I plan to baggie overnight. I'm trying to make sure my hair is as moisturized as possible because I plan on sewing my lace frontal onto my head for the week so that it doesn't move during workouts. We'll see how it goes, I'll have to make the elastic band tighter around the nape first. The nape of my neck is cornrowed as an anchor braid for me to sew the wig onto in the back. I'll post an update on the end of the week of how my hair faired and if it managed to remain moisturized under the wig.

FadingDelilah

Bad news. Shea butter does not work well after reapplying for me (I spray water on my hair before applying). It also doesn't aid in detangling. It leaves my hair greasy too, which means greasy fingers whenever I touch my hair. I don't leave stains on anything though so I know using less oil in my mix has helped, but I still find shea butter slightly greasy even in its least greasy form. I also have to work it in alot, so the spreadability is a problem. I don't want to have to apply it section by section. It makes my hair so soft for 4-5 days though, so I do admit that its a good moisturizer. It just isn't the one for me. I will be switching to avj. However, I will still be using the shea on my face due to its being a natural sunscreen and the glow and softness it gives me. Its too greasy for my body though. It rubs right off.

Despite all this, I will still be reading this thread for the enthusiasm, laughs and to cheer others on with their success. :)

biznesswmn

I made a batch finally, think i put too much oil
I used 1/4 cup almond oil, 1/4 cup aloe gel, 1/4 cup glycerin and 1/4 lb shea butter... Scented with jasmine and orange essential oil
Melted down, the shea was about 3/4 cup. Is that too much almond oil?
My plan is to use this to seal my ends. The rest of my hair does well staying moisturized with the anti breakage spritz i copied from haircrush on utube
My hair loves it. Its awesome

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Bad news. Shea butter does not work well after reapplying for me (I spray water on my hair before applying). It also doesn't aid in detangling. It leaves my hair greasy too, which means greasy fingers whenever I touch my hair. I don't leave stains on anything though so I know using less oil in my mix has helped, but I still find shea butter slightly greasy even in its least greasy form. I also have to work it in alot, so the spreadability is a problem. I don't want to have to apply it section by section. It makes my hair so soft for 4-5 days though, so I do admit that its a good moisturizer. It just isn't the one for me. I will be switching to avj. However, I will still be using the shea on my face due to its being a natural sunscreen and the glow and softness it gives me. Its too greasy for my body though. It rubs right off.

Despite all this, I will still be reading this thread for the enthusiasm, laughs and to cheer others on with their success. :)

What are you putting on after the water and before the Shea butter?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@biznesswmn
I start whipping my SB first then gradually add oil. I use very, very little oil but I gauge it by how it looks as I am whipping it (so I don't overdo it with the oil).

I do not melt my SB first. I cut it up real fine, like slices/tabs of Butter and begin whipping. I then gradually add my powders and oils and adjust whichever as I am blending. It always comes out fluffy/creamy.

ETA: Since playing in SB, I can now tell when it's too much oil from these handmade/natural companies when their consistency is "off"

bellebebe

After 4 YEARS of holding on to my $6.50, yall heauxs done raised me from the dead.

My sister, @caribeandiva inspired me to join this thread. I've been following this method for a few months. I don't have any progress pictures. I'll start from scratch & post a starting pic later this week.

Chicoro

After 4 YEARS of holding on to my $6.50, yall heauxs done raised me from the dead.

My sister, @caribeandiva inspired me to join this thread. I've been following this method for a few months. I don't have any progress pictures. I'll start from scratch & post a starting pic later this week.

You callin' us Unicorns 'out our names', now?

Chicoro

I’m jealous. Off to work harder and stay consistent.

I'm on year #5. I butchered my own hair in 2012. After recovering from being stunned at the swiftness of how fast and suddenly I lost my length, I had to figure out new processes.

My old ways were tangling my hair. They were eating away my length and keeping me from lengths I used to be able to reach in the past.

I didn't hit my stride again until August 2017. That's when I could see my new processes were working.

Cutting back my hair,and losing my length unintentionally ,was a painful lesson. But a good lesson , well learned.

Had I not had that setback, I would have never changed my processes nor my products.

It was directly because of this setback that I sought out Shea butter and a new way of doing things.

Along the way of this latest 5 year journey , I have discovered a product or ingredient that truly is magical.

In addition, I've developed a process to grow Afro textured hair beyond waist length , to tailbone length.

All this to say, never give up. And know that there is always value in a setback.

Today's setbacks are just tomorrow's tear watered successes that need more time to come to fruition to bloom into something truly beautiful to behold.

Don't give up. Be encouraged.

Last edited:

bjade757

Girl they got me too! I was on extreme lurker status, then BAM the shea butter challenge snatched me up! :cowgirl:

guyaneseyankee

I have been loyal and faithful to my whipped shea butter mix

I rarely apply commercial styling products. Shea is all I need. This is a two day old twist out. I did use kinky curly knot today leave in to detangle each section and then applied my shea mix.

Today I was complemented on the shine and health but this picture can’t seem to do it justice.

I can attest to shea butter and retention. When I washed my hair, there was NOT ONE strand of falling hair. NOT ONE
After I detangled my entire head, my brush had very little shed hair. I attribute that to keeping my hair stretched. Even when I don’t wear it in a puff, it’s still stretched from last hairstyle or will be stretched for the next (does that make sense?)
Shea butter is my best friend after my dog

Attachments

• 861C12DB-C220-4EB4-A045-AD8D404061C8.jpeg
    861C12DB-C220-4EB4-A045-AD8D404061C8.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 70

caribeandiva

Human being
I have been loyal and faithful to my whipped shea butter mix

I rarely apply commercial styling products. Shea is all I need. This is a two day old twist out. I did use kinky curly knot today leave in to detangle each section and then applied my shea mix.

Today I was complemented on the shine and health but this picture can’t seem to do it justice.

I can attest to shea butter and retention. When I washed my hair, there was NOT ONE strand of falling hair. NOT ONE
After I detangled my entire head, my brush had very little shed hair. I attribute that to keeping my hair stretched. Even when I don’t wear it in a puff, it’s still stretched from last hairstyle or will be stretched for the next (does that make sense?)
Shea butter is my best friend after my dog
You are very pretty!

Chicoro

I used my shea butter mix for two months with African Royal braids spray that has high amount of glycerin. My hair was breaking before that and now the breakage has stopped for the most part. Unfortunately my ends are thinner due to the breakage. I relaxed my hair and trimmed it a bit yesterday.

View attachment 427226

I completely missed this post. Congratulations on stabilizing your hair and stopping the breakage! Your hair is below your bra- strap. Did you trim it before this photo, or after this photo?

Last edited: