Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

ThatJerseyGirl

@Sally. and @Chicoro -- Thanks so much!!! This whole entire thread makes me feel so good and I am so happy that sistas are coming on board and using what has been given to US to benefit us in so many ways with regards to our hair, bodies, etc. I wish we could ALL give a GROUP hug to all participants as well as lurkers in this thread, because all of this information is truly a blessing. An added bonus is that we can save so much money on commercial hair products and just start making our own custom blends tailored for our hair, as everyone's hair is unique.

Most recently, I've also discovered that Naturally_Nica of Youtube uses Shea and I believe she is a 4b/4c waist or hip length. I've posted a link to this particular video she made and if you read her description, she wrote the following:

Hello all, These are the main products that worked for my hair over the last 7 years. African Formula: Shea Butter Super Light Super Grow Hair Gel Let it grow Super Active Hair Tonic Shea Butter Super Soft Leave on Conditioner and Moisturizer

Naptural 85 uses shea butter. 21st CW uses shea butter. Babilon Kay (sp?) uses shea butter. Just about every natural who has long thick hair uses Shea butter as their main ingredient. Now, if you feel that Shea butter alone mixed with other oils don't work for you, try adding Mango butter in with your shea mix. It's super moisturizing. As I mentioned earlier, for all DIYs, you can custom blend your own mix tailored for your own strands.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Back to the regular scheduled programming of this thread...

Now, to the Hair Unicorns that I admired and whose regimens I checked to discover whether or not they used shea butter. THEY ALL USED SHEA BUTTER!!!

Shea butter doesn't just help you gain length. It imparts an incredible thickness and vibrancy to hair as well.

Here are my top 5:

Herlucidsky (Fotki)
HairUnicorn4.jpg

Zahara (Fotki)
HairUnicorn2.jpg

Irresistible (LHCF, Fotki)
HairUnicorn3.jpg

Efficiently Natural (YouTube)
HairUnicorn5A.jpg

HairUnicorn5.png

Naturally_Nica (Youtube)

HairUnicorn 1.png

These women are all beyond tailbone length. Height does not matter because it's in your legs.
These women range in height from 5'2 to about 6'0 feet.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Sally. and @Chicoro -- Thanks so much!!! This whole entire thread makes me feel so good and I am so happy that sistas are coming on board and using what has been given to US to benefit us in so many ways with regards to our hair, bodies, etc. I wish we could ALL give a GROUP hug to all participants as well as lurkers in this thread, because all of this information is truly a blessing. An added bonus is that we can save so much money on commercial hair products and just start making our own custom blends tailored for our hair, as everyone's hair is unique.

Most recently, I've also discovered that Naturally_Nica of Youtube uses Shea and I believe she is a 4b/4c waist or hip length. I've posted a link to this particular video she made and if you read her description, she wrote the following:

Hello all, These are the main products that worked for my hair over the last 7 years. African Formula: Shea Butter Super Light Super Grow Hair Gel Let it grow Super Active Hair Tonic Shea Butter Super Soft Leave on Conditioner and Moisturizer

Naptural 85 uses shea butter. 21st CW uses shea butter. Babilon Kay (sp?) uses shea butter. Just about every natural who has long thick hair uses Shea butter as their main ingredient. Now, if you feel that Shea butter alone mixed with other oils don't work for you, try adding Mango butter in with your shea mix. It's super moisturizing. As I mentioned earlier, for all DIYs, you can custom blend your own mix tailored for your own strands.

YES! Naturally_Nica was one of the first I checked back with after I read your observation and remark about long hair and shea butter!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Sally.
I've whipped with a variety of Oils from everything from Sweet Almond to JBCO to Ayurvedic Oils and they have all been nice and whipped to perfection.:love2:

Yesterday I made x2 4oz batches - one with Mahabringraj Oil and one with JBCO/HBCO and both turned out amazing.:love:

*Using an Electric Wire Mixer*

ThatJerseyGirl

@Chicoro -- I've found something else while surfing YT last night. In this video, she melts her shea butter. While the shea is in liquid form, she adds 1/4 of Hibiscus powder, Fenugreek Powder, Amla Powder, etc along with her oils and msm. Her mixture is refrigerated and she whips it with a fork. So far, according to the comments, there are no grainy bits and it doesn't leave any particles in the hair, as the oil has fully absorbed the powders.

ThatJerseyGirl

Hey Chica!!!! *Hugs*

So the rest of my butters have arrived. Cupuacu, Kokum and Mango. I'm going to mix today :) and will do the same thing. I'll just let it sit at room temperature and go from there.

How are you and are you getting ready for the new year? I gotta run out, put my numbers in, get some collards n get this party started -- minus dem newports chile.....

Sally.

@Sally.
I've whipped with a variety of Oils from everything from Sweet Almond to JBCO to Ayurvedic Oils and they have all been nice and whipped to perfection.:love2:

Yesterday I made x2 4oz batches - one with Mahabringraj Oil and one with JBCO/HBCO and both turned out amazing.:love:

thanks for letting me know! do you think the bella hand immersion blender (link below) will work in place of an "electric wire mixer"?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bella-Immersion-Blender-Red/49460237

Sally.

Hey Chica!!!! *Hugs*

So the rest of my butters have arrived. Cupuacu, Kokum and Mango. I'm going to mix today :) and will do the same thing. I'll just let it sit at room temperature and go from there.

How are you and are you getting ready for the new year? I gotta run out, put my numbers in, get some collards n get this party started -- minus dem newports chile.....
i swear, i read all your posts in a Madea voice in my head, lol.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Sally.
It should work because it comes with that wire whisker thing.

I paid $12 bucks for my Han.d Mi.xer (w/free shipping) on e-bay. I just didn't want to use the one I use to cook/bake with, so I grabbed a cheapie (Proctor.Sil-ex) and so far, it's been working great for this purpose.

jennex

@Sally.

I was just thinking I should add castor oil to my next shea butter mix. My hair seems to really like it. Good to know that it turned out well. I'm going to try this.

spacetygrss

I made a Shea butter-based balm earlier with Shea butter, Coconut oil, Vit E oil, Amla-Brahmi Oil and Aloe Vera Powder.
I was originally going to make a whipped buttercream, but actually didn't like it (texture itself was fine, but it was TOO fluffy for what I like to use in my hair). I melted it down and put in the refrigerator for about 1.5 hours to the point where it was still slightly warm, transitioning state (top of solid, bottom was liquid). Then I took a spatula and whipped it with that so that I wouldn't introduce too much air. I then put in the containers. When it completely cooled I had a nice balm that I could scoop out that melts between my fingers as soon as I rub them together. Perfect. Oh, and it smells like lemon pound cake!

fifigirl

I've been lurking in this thread and like what I'm seeing so far. However I'm relaxed. Will shea butter work for me as well?
i'm texlaxed and sheabutter seems to be working for me......i'm using it in braids (without attachment) and it works just fine....just ensure you check your hair once a week to make sure it doesn't get over moisturised (i do a weekly or bi monthly henna gloss )