Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Shea butter got me!

Guess what I super fat my shampoo bars with?

IMAG1296_1-1372x1139.jpg
View attachment 420381

SHEA BUTTA!!!!

Guess what's the largest ingredient in the oil phase of my conditioner besides BTMS-50?

20171230_102342-1458x1944_crop_716x708.jpg

SHEA BUTTER!

And guess what makes this whipped butter "unicorn 24- karat magic"? @Chicoro

20171230_102241-1458x1944.jpg

SHEA BUTTER!!!

And @ThatJerseyGirl was so right in saying "An added bonus is that we can save so much money on commercial hair products and just start making our own custom blends tailored for our hair, as everyone's hair is unique."

I can make sure everything I make is catered to my hair and concentrated with that shea goodness.

I wish you all a shea filled 2018!

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I cowashed and lightly conditioned my hair. I then placed my hair in 11 plaits with Chi Keratin Silk Infusion all over, then S-Curl/Shea mix in the front and Keravada Caramel Souffle/Shea Mix in the back. My goal is to find out which product concoction keeps my hair moisturized for the longest. I will give it a week. The next product combination I will try is Oyin Hair Dew/Shea Mix.

cravoecanela

Sorry if this was addressed already, but I have a quick question -- Do all of you wet your hair prior to applying shea butter? I hate touching my hair when it's wet so I avoid it as much as possible. I've been putting on the whipped butter without water or water-based products. My hair is minimally greasy. Is it able to penetrate my strands without water?

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Chicoro, do you have any thoughts on the potential difference in outcome from
A) applying shea butter to just one's ends (e.g., the last two inches of hair)
and
B) applying shea butter to the entire hair shaft?

TIA for any thoughts you might have.

I think it depends on how the hair unravels. My hair unravels and tangles throughout the entire braid; thus, that would include my entire hair strand or shaft need to be lubricated. Perhaps you may want to consider starting off with the last two inches of hair and determining how that works. Then perhaps, try lubricating the entire braid or hair strand.

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Mango butter, when mixed with other humectants, is a greater moisturizer than shea butter mixed with those same humectants. I mixed shea, mango, and CP oil for my last hair batch. Next time I want to mix shea, mango, honey, and CP oil to see if the honey helps with moisture.

what is a humectant and which ones would you recommend to mix with the mango butter? I was just thinking to whip it up with some coconut or sweet almond oil. How have you been liking your shea/mango/CP-oil mix?

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
Hi @SunkissedLife ,
Welcome to LHCF! I see you are a new member.

I can't speak to mango butter. I can only speak about shea butter.

Many of the women whose hair I admired are long gone from this board. The other group I used to find on a site called Fotki, and most are gone from there, too. What is consistent with the women that "I" admired, and why @ThatJerseyGirl 's observation was so profound is that all the women with hair beyond waist length [who I admired before I realized they had a common denominator in their routines] all used Shea butter consistently in their regimens.

You can try working with mango butter and other options. I have not seen or observed a commonality with my favorite long-hard afro-textured hair idols in the use of mango butter. That doesn't mean mango butter can't provide the same value and results. But I have no idea because I have not observed a significantly large group of women with super-long hair using it over a 5 to 10 year period of time. I have observed all of this with shea butter.

Shea butter is not the only way to gain length. It's just one of the many ways. If it doesn't work for you, don't fret. I've encountered lots of naturals with waist length hair who never used it. I was one of them.

For 'me', there seems to be a certain 'look', and thickness and 'otherworldly' length retention that women who use shea butter consistently seem to have.

That was the impetus for me to figure out how to make shea butter work for me. Because, I have been a shea butter hater for most of my hair journey until 2017. So, because I wanted to at least try it and have some peace and enjoyment, I experimented to find ways to make it work for my hair and my lifestyle. It took trial and error.

Ultimately, the possibility may exist that shea butter doesn't work for your hair. And that's okay, too. The goal is to listen to you hair and to listen to yourself. Everything does not necessarily work for everybody. There may be something even better for you out there!

I'm wondering if I can use a shea/mango butter mix because the bolded are ALL MY GOALS. I definitely want to listen to my hair. The biggest thing for me right now are dryness and consistency. So I really am trying to nail down a simple routine with few products to stick to in order for my hair to really take off next year. I want that super thick, ultra healthy, naturally shiny hair.
what are your favorite ways of incorporating shea into your routine, since you once 'hated' it too?

SunkissedLife

basking in the sun
When I use unrefined shea butter, which I love, I personally cannot wear my hair 'out'. The shea butter leaves my hair hard, dry and greasy. I ONLY use shea when I am wearing braids. If I am going to wear my hair loose, I don't use it. I had to figure out how to make it work for my hair. That was because my three top favorite afro-textured naturals all used shea butter. I only realized this common denominator this year.

Hmm interesting...
I almost always wear my hair out. I am wondering if I need to start keeping my hair more often for longer in order to see true growth and retention. Now that I think about it, I def have to use different products when my hair is straight, it makes sense some products, like shea butter, naturally lend themselves to certain styles like braids, etc. and that it's the butter combined with the style (keeping hair braided or twisted) that is magic

Chicoro

I'm wondering if I can use a shea/mango butter mix because the bolded are ALL MY GOALS. I definitely want to listen to my hair. The biggest thing for me right now are dryness and consistency. So I really am trying to nail down a simple routine with few products to stick to in order for my hair to really take off next year. I want that super thick, ultra healthy, naturally shiny hair.
what are your favorite ways of incorporating shea into your routine, since you once 'hated' it too?

I wet my hair with water, put on Scurl, then put on shea butter mix and rebraid my hair.

Chicoro

Hmm interesting...
I almost always wear my hair out. I am wondering if I need to start keeping my hair more often for longer in order to see true growth and retention. Now that I think about it, I def have to use different products when my hair is straight, it makes sense some products, like shea butter, naturally lend themselves to certain styles like braids, etc. and that it's the butter combined with the style (keeping hair braided or twisted) that is magic

I would agree with this.

Lots of women do braid outs and stuff. But, 'they roll' seamlessly into these styles. What I mean is that the wash their hair and then braid it up and let it dry for 2 to 3 days in those same braids. Then, on day 4 they may go from 8 braids to 4 braids. Always, ensuring the hair is stretched, maybe putting those braids together to combine in a bantu knot or bun. Then on days 5 and 6 they wear a braid out. Then on day 7, they pre-poo and start over.

ThatJerseyGirl

no. you wanna hear something crazee?

so I have been playing 0213 combo. how about on Saturday, the number was 3214. I was literally sick to my damn stomach.....I kept lookin at the numbers thinkin that "4" would turn into a "0", but NOPE. Wasn't happenin....

But the Virginia State Lottery has been extremely good to me chile....lemme tell u! 756 and 812 are hot numbers here and let me tell you, last month, I played 756 10 times straight and 10 times box - all separate tickets. Tore it up! I have hit so many times on that number. I knew it was coming back because the day before, the VA daytime number was 856. Also 812. Those two only. See, I'm not one of those people who go in the stores with a dead sea scroll of numbas...nope. I ain't got dat kind of time. I don't play everyday, but I watch them and know when to play.

Meanwhile, I made a fresh Shea mix this morning. I will come back and post all of the ingredients shortly.

Chicoro

Sorry if this was addressed already, but I have a quick question -- Do all of you wet your hair prior to applying shea butter? I hate touching my hair when it's wet so I avoid it as much as possible. I've been putting on the whipped butter without water or water-based products. My hair is minimally greasy. Is it able to penetrate my strands without water?

Does your hair feel moist and soft? If so, then your hair probably has what it needs with your current process.

Chicoro

no. you wanna hear something crazee?

so I have been playing 0213 combo. how about on Saturday, the number was 3214. I was literally sick to my damn stomach.....I kept lookin at the numbers thinkin that "4" would turn into a "0", but NOPE. Wasn't happenin....

But the Virginia State Lottery has been extremely good to me chile....lemme tell u! 756 and 812 are hot numbers here and let me tell you, last month, I played 756 10 times straight and 10 times box - all separate tickets. Tore it up! I have hit so many times on that number. I knew it was coming back because the day before, the VA daytime number was 856. Also 812. Those two only. See, I'm not one of those people who go in the stores with a dead sea scroll of numbas...nope. I ain't got dat kind of time. I don't play everyday, but I watch them and know when to play.

Meanwhile, I made a fresh Shea mix this morning. I will come back and post all of the ingredients shortly.

Oh.My.Goodness! :lachen:I was supposed to be gone off this site until Jan 2nd. Still here enjoying ya'll!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
no. you wanna hear something crazee.

I played 756 10 times straight and 10 times box - all separate tickets. Tore it up! I have hit so many times on that number.
@ThatJerseyGirl
This made me bust out laffin'!:lachen:I know you were wishin' hard:nervous2:....:pray:

I'm glad you to' it up Gurl. I know 10 straight and 10 boxed was real good to you.

Would love to hear about your SB Mix. Don't be puttin' no Henney in it.:rofl:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
My hair is wet when I apply shea butter after washing. During non-wash days, I dampen my hair slightly, otherwise there is no point in using the shea butter since it's a sealant.

ThatJerseyGirl

Ok. so this is what I made this morning. Some things I measured, some things I just simply eyed...

Ingredients are as follows. Please note that I made a post with the benefits of diff butters.

BUTTERS:
Unrefined Shea Butter
Unrefined Mango Butter
Cupuacu Butter
Kokum Butter

I melted the above butters using the double boiler method. This took me an hour. After the butters were melted, I included the following oils. Keep in mind the butters are still warm, but not hot. It resembled liquid gold!

OILS:
Parachute Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Moringa Oil
Black Seed Oil
Argan Oil
Rosehip Oil
Amla & Brahmi Oil

I did not measure my oils. Just eyed everything.

POWDERS:
Fenugreek Powder (Methi) (2 tsps)
Amla Powder (1tsp)
Brahmi Powder (1tsp)
Maka Powder (aka Bhingraj) (1tsp)
Neem Powder (1tsp)

I did measure my powders. Don't even ask me why. It just felt like the right thing to do at this point lolol...

After I included the powders, I used a wooden skewer to stir the powders carefully into the mixture because at this point, the butters and oils are warm. The color is looking good at this point. A nice green color.

I placed saran wrap over the mixture and stored it in the refrigerator for 4 hours to make sure it was good and solid considering the amount of oils that I used.

Four hours later, I whipped it and it came out deliciously whipped. Thick, airy and fluffy and the color is that of a light beige color. No green in sight from the powders. Also, since the powders were added while the mixture was warm, there is no texture or graininess to it at all. All powders were thoroughly absorbed. I am pleasantly surprised.

I added the following Essential oils:

Rosemary
Lavendar
Ylang Ylang

I am in Shea Heaven yall!!! I made a separate body butter. Just Shea, Mango, Olive and Sweet Almond Oil and Grapefruit essential oil.

Chicoro

Ok. so this is what I made this morning. Some things I measured, some things I just simply eyed...

Ingredients are as follows. Please note that I made a post with the benefits of diff butters.

BUTTERS:
Unrefined Shea Butter
Unrefined Mango Butter
Cupuacu Butter
Kokum Butter

I melted the above butters using the double boiler method. This took me an hour. After the butters were melted, I included the following oils. Keep in mind the butters are still warm, but not hot. It resembled liquid gold!

OILS:
Parachute Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Moringa Oil
Black Seed Oil
Argan Oil
Rosehip Oil
Amla & Brahmi Oil

I did not measure my oils. Just eyed everything.

POWDERS:
Fenugreek Powder (Methi) (2 tsps)
Amla Powder (1tsp)
Brahmi Powder (1tsp)
Maka Powder (aka Bhingraj) (1tsp)
Neem Powder (1tsp)

I did measure my powders. Don't even ask me why. It just felt like the right thing to do at this point lolol...

After I included the powders, I used a wooden skewer to stir the powders carefully into the mixture because at this point, the butters and oils are warm. The color is looking good at this point. A nice green color.

I placed saran wrap over the mixture and stored it in the refrigerator for 4 hours to make sure it was good and solid considering the amount of oils that I used.

Four hours later, I whipped it and it came out deliciously whipped. Thick, airy and fluffy and the color is that of a light beige color. No green in sight from the powders. Also, since the powders were added while the mixture was warm, there is no texture or graininess to it at all. All powders were thoroughly absorbed. I am pleasantly surprised.

I added the following Essential oils:

Rosemary
Lavendar
Ylang Ylang

I am in Shea Heaven yall!!! I made a separate body butter. Just Shea, Mango, Olive and Sweet Almond Oil and Grapefruit essential oil.

I watched that video you posted about mixing the powders. The process and the results you describe make the mixing and the final results seem heavenly! Liquid gold you say? Please take photo and post so we can see- if you feel like it!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@ThatJerseyGirl
Glad you tried the Double-B method and had good results doing this.:up: I have some powders. I may make a couple with Powders to see how it turns out.

I'll prolly just stick in the freezer for about an hour.

Not sure what Powder(s) I'll use? I have: Amla, Bramhi, Tulsi and Kalpi-Tone oh and some Rose Powder. It will probably be Amla or Brahmi. Those two seem to be the one(s) I am most familiar with.

kupenda

All y’all get on my nerves. I just ordered whipped shea butter with olive oil and I’m poking around on Kindred Butters site. I’m not about that mixtress life so I bought two moisturizers I’ve used and loved in the past (bekura Honey Latte and Hairveda Whipped Creme) to help out. I’ll see what this shea butter thing is all about. Back into lurk mode...