Shea Growth And Retention Regimen 2018

Has Shea Butter 'got you'?

• Let me look over my investment portfolio and see if I have room for shea related stocks.

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • I've got 8 pounds in the house, I need to order me some more because I don't want to run out.

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • 1 Day without sealing my ends is just unthinkable.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • It works for me for now.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Nah, I can take it or leave it.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Meh, I'm here for the posts.

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • That stuff just weighs down my hair. No thanks!

Votes: 17 10.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
so I took my install down last night. I was up until 2am in the morning detangling my hair. What did I use to take my cornrows down and to detangle? my shea mix. I took my time. That shea butter mix worked wonders for detangling my hair.

My hair has so much shrinkage and I have been told that shrinkage means that your hair is healthy. I'm trying to figure out how to keep my hair stretched after blow drying because it shrunk back up right on my shoulders. When I stretch it with my hand, it's past my bra strap. I know I need a good trim, but not that much because I had someone blow dry my hair for me and said my ends were not bad at all. The reason? I coated my hair with shea butter prior to my install last year.

I may just have to give it a slight flat iron? I haven't done that in a while......

oh well...

Congratulations on your on your great hair ends!

Chicoro

2-3 times a week for me (but this is only my first week of actually having a consistent shea regimen) 1. On wash day I pre-poo'd with CO, Alikay Naturals leave in, and Alikay Naturals Shea Yogurt (both concentrated on roots and ends). My detangling process was so much smoother than usual, fewer tangles and knots. After my wash and DC, I did two-strand twists with EVOO and the Alikay Naturals products.

2. About 2 days later, my hair was still in twists--I sprayed the length of my twists with Alikay Naturals leave in and applied the shea yogurt, concentrating on my ends.

3. ^^same process as above about 2 days later.

I may have to take back what I said about Shea not being good for my twist outs. I've just taken down my twists and my hair looks luxurious, not weighed down at all. I'm heavy handed with the Shea butter, so I think it's not a good idea to take down my twists immediately (like the next day), but it's perfect after a few days.

It's wonderful that you can see a difference with your detangling process. Congratulations on achieving luxurious looking hair!

Daina

2-3 times a week for me (but this is only my first week of actually having a consistent shea regimen) 1. On wash day I pre-poo'd with CO, Alikay Naturals leave in, and Alikay Naturals Shea Yogurt (both concentrated on roots and ends). My detangling process was so much smoother than usual, fewer tangles and knots. After my wash and DC, I did two-strand twists with EVOO and the Alikay Naturals products.

2. About 2 days later, my hair was still in twists--I sprayed the length of my twists with Alikay Naturals leave in and applied the shea yogurt, concentrating on my ends.

3. ^^same process as above about 2 days later.

I may have to take back what I said about Shea not being good for my twist outs. I've just taken down my twists and my hair looks luxurious, not weighed down at all. I'm heavy handed with the Shea butter, so I think it's not a good idea to take down my twists immediately (like the next day), but it's perfect after a few days.

Yessss I experienced the same thing...I put my hair in twists and of course slathered the whipped shea over top my Giovanni direct leave-in and water/avj. I left my twists in for several days and then took them down intending to wash my hair but the shea twist out was beautiful. Hair was thick, plump and the curls were poppin. I'm repeating the same process this week to make sure it wasn't a fluke!

Chicoro

I was in a home furnishings store and passed by a section with mirrors hung on display, and caught my reflection. My braids were hanging over my hoodie collar and the ends of my hair were past armpit length. I remember saying to myself, "Wow, my braids sure do look long!" Shea butter makes my braids hang heavier and look heavier and longer.

I'm wondering if I was noticing that growth spurt 'I was expecting' for January 2018, from using Shea butter. It seems like my hair gets noticeably longer [to me] every 2 months, since I've been using Shea butter regularly. I just do an informal 'pull check'.

Last edited:

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019
Today is my wash day. I just looked at my twist and they are all full plump and juicy. I really can just pass today up but that would mean I would have to wear these twist another 2 weeks and I need to run my fingers through my hair.
Im actually am getting my nails done today and maybe do my hair tonight or take a whole pamper day for tomorrow!
I'm interested in seeing how much hair I loose every 2 weeks. From what I can tell its much less.
This wash day will be the 3rd since the begining of the year and will give a lot of information. Im really excited about my journey again!

Chicoro

So I was doing some shea butter research and came across this site (http://www.nasabb.com/) that has been selling shea butter for years. [...] But here's a couple of them that I thought you all might find interesting.
What makes some Shea Butters smell so bad?This happens for several reasons but the three most common reasons are as follows. 1. The shea butter was extracted using dirty water. 2. The shea butter was not properly stored. 3. The shea butter nuts were fermented before extraction. Some ferment the shea butter nuts before extraction. And this gives the shea butter a very pungent scent.

If you want to read the whole thing go to http://www.nasabb.com/FAQ-About-Unrefined-Shea-Butter_ep_51-1.html

That's the very word I used to describe my Shea butter I had: Pungent! Now, we know. If the shea nuts were allowed to ferment before extraction, the resulting Shea butter can smell kind of funky!

I'll take natural funk over chemical funk, any day! I thought the smell was from
being hexane (chemically) extracted. Glad to know it's a natural odor!

Good intel @jennex !

Come in from the field. You get a well deserved break to rest, study up a bit, and prepare for the next assignment.

Chicoro

Someone I know went to Burkina Faso. They have great Shea butter there, by the way!

What was stated:

Me: "Did you bring back any Shea butter?"
Person: " I didn't have time to shop and buy gifts. I just brought one very small, container back."

But what it felt like was stated:

Me: "Wow, she's beautiful [Shea butter from Burkina Faso]."
Person: "Hey! Stay away from her. She not for you!"

Last edited:

Aggie

:hiya: Afternoon Shea Junkies :lol:,

I was not able to reach the vendor from Etsy who had that divine, soft and wonderful nutty fragrance Shea butter I bought during the BF sales @Saludable84 :sad:. Now I wished I bought 20lbs from him, if only I knew then that this was the good stuff. I really have to try and find another vendor that has this same butter.

Today I'm mixing a batch for a friend of mine that has eczema of the foot. I sure hope it works to help her tame her breakouts.

Aggie

@Aggie
What are you using in that particular Blend?
I'm using extra virgin coconut oil, avocado oil, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin e oil and a 15 drops each of calendula, tea tree, rosemary, lavender, and peppermint essential oil. I'll probably use a little for my hair as well.

I will be ordering chamomile, carrot seed, clove bud and clary sage essential oil and tamanu oil for my next blend for her eczema. I only used what I actually had in my stash for this current blend.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I whipped up a mix of:
Unrefined SB
Rose Powder
Chebe Powder
Pomegranate Seed Oil (I didn't wanna use my Pome.granate Oil all up on x1 batch so I added Camellia Oil)

*Turned out nice* It yielded an 8oz Jar.

Oh..I also used a corner of the SB my Colleague brought from Ni.geria, since I have such a small amount. :angry2:....:fistshake:

It is much different than the one I've been using. Not better or worse - just 'different'.

Both are very soft, but the one from Ni.geria was slightly/kinda "crumbly" but very soft and easy to blend.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
:hiya: Afternoon Shea Junkies :lol:,

I was not able to reach the vendor from Etsy who had that divine, soft and wonderful nutty fragrance Shea butter I bought during the BF sales @Saludable84 :sad:. Now I wished I bought 20lbs from him, if only I knew then that this was the good stuff. I really have to try and find another vendor that has this same butter.

Today I'm mixing a batch for a friend of mine that has eczema of the foot. I sure hope it works to help her tame her breakouts.
I’ve messaged them a few times with no response so when I went back to the page to compare prices, they were gone. The prices were good too.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@Aggie @Saludable84
I like Oslove Organic.s (A.maz.on) Raw, Unrefined SB recommended by @ElevatedEnergy :up::up:

Yes yes yes, all her butters are yummy....the Shea butter and mango butter is the best I've personally come across and I have tried many vendors. The African Black soap is the best I've tried as well. It has tons of shea butter and coconut oil already in it, so to use it as a shampoo...the only thing needed is for it to be dissolved in water or tea of choice. Quality products and vendor....been trying to get her stuff wholesale...It's just that good.

Aggie

I believe I purchased on eBay from the plant guru 7lbs for $20.
This is a great price and I believe I saw this vendor on etsy as well but the shipping was cost prohibitive if I remember correctly. How was the shipping cost on ebay @Saludable84?

I really like the butter I have but if I can find another one that is a lot like the one I have and is as cost effective on a consistent basis, I will stick with it. I want a great butter but I don't want it to be too heavily priced, especially since I have to have it shipped to the Bahamas.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
This is a great price and I believe I saw this vendor on etsy as well but the shipping was cost prohibitive if I remember correctly. How was the shipping cost on ebay @Saludable84?

I really like the butter I have but if I can find another one that is a lot like the one I have and is as cost effective on a consistent basis, I will stick with it. I want a great butter but I don't want it to be too heavily priced, especially since I have to have it shipped to the Bahamas.

Shipping was free. Priority 2 day.