Shedding and thinning hair with lye relaxer?

Sondice

Ok so my last relaxer way in May. I self relaxed. I did everything that I was suppose to do, ! week before I did a protein treatment. de-tangled the night b4, based scalp that night and in the morning b4 my relaxer, protected relaxed ends with CHI silk infusion, even pre parted hair so that when I applied relaxer, I could do it quickly. I have resistant coarse 4a/b hair. The relaxer I used was Linange Lye and it says for coarse hair to leave it on for 22 mins, and that exactly what I did. But when I rinsed the relaxer, I noticed like a huuuuuuuuuuuge amount of hair in my hand. Like during the whole process I lose prob like to me a months worth of shed hair. But the weird thing is is that my hair was underprocessed. Now Im thinking about relaxing in the next three weeks or so and honestly, Im scared of using Linange. Like ever since I was a kid I used no-lye relaxers (Just for Me, Dudley's, ect) and my hair was veeery thick. I think Ive only used lye prob 4 times total, like literally in my life. To me I have lost alot of my thickness and I dont like that at all. Im debating about switching back to no-lye. Had anyone else tried the lye and realized that it just dosent agree with thier hair and went back to no- lye?

Minty

if you add too many products as a base, you will underprocess. Most lye relaxers already have buffers in them. You don't state which relaxer you used, but my first guess would be that you

a. used too much product to base your scalp/protect your ends
b. did not allow enough time and/or did not smooth enough

most people have some fear of lye relaxers but they are designed differently than no-lye, you can not treat them the same as a no-lye product as they process the hair differently.

to overcome the underprocessing, you can flatiron in small sections at high heat with a couple of passes on the new growth and leave it in this straightened state for 2-3 days. this will only work if you are not to far along after the relaxer process (i.e. same day)

KinkyGenius

I'm texlaxed but I used the Linange Lye relaxer for the first time 2 weeks ago, all I can say is that the relaxer was VERY difficult to wash out for whatever reason. Neutralizing properly was such a vital step for me, I think if I had not neutralized properly I would have been overprocessed and suffered a ton of breakage during and after the relaxer was rinsed out.

Sondice

I'm texlaxed but I used the Linange Lye relaxer for the first time 2 weeks ago, all I can say is that the relaxer was VERY difficult to wash out for whatever reason. Neutralizing properly was such a vital step for me, I think if I had not neutralized properly I would have been overprocessed and suffered a ton of breakage during and after the relaxer was rinsed out.

Idk for me I used the Linange neutralizing conditioner and then Dudleys Neutralizing shamapoo w/ color alarm. I followed the directions for the conditioner, to let it sit for like 10 mins and the rinse. I did this, then used the shampoo, I didnt see ne pink, and did a couple of lathers with it to make sure that all of the relaxer is out. I havent experienced any shedding or breaking since that day. Like it was so wierd, as soon as I rinsed out the relaxer, idk it was like my scalp went into shock almost it seemed and I lost, at least to me what seemed like alot of hair.

KinkyGenius

Idk for me I used the Linange neutralizing conditioner and then Dudleys Neutralizing shamapoo w/ color alarm. I followed the directions for the conditioner, to let it sit for like 10 mins and the rinse. I did this, then used the shampoo, I didnt see ne pink, and did a couple of lathers with it to make sure that all of the relaxer is out. I havent experienced any shedding or breaking since that day. Like it was so wierd, as soon as I rinsed out the relaxer, idk it was like my scalp went into shock almost it seemed and I lost, at least to me what seemed like alot of hair.

Hmmm, do you think it's possible that you didn't get all of the shed hair out prior to the relaxer?

Sondice

Mmmmm...idk I could of swore I did though. I parted my hair in small sections and combed each one until I didnt see ne more shed hair in the comb and then clipped it up.

SelfStyled

Idk....just throwing this out here...do you think that using the two different neutralizing agents may have been the culprit?

Anyways I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I don't think I would use the Linange again. If you have had good experiences in the past with no lye- I would just stick with that.

LittleLuxe

Well they do say Lye Relaxers are rougher on the scalp than No-Lye, maybe your scalp really did go into shock? It really does sound like you did everything right and I don't know how often your head sheds like that so much so that you think you've lost a lot of thickness.

Sondice

Idk....just throwing this out here...do you think that using the two different neutralizing agents may have been the culprit?

Anyways I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I don't think I would use the Linange again. If you have had good experiences in the past with no lye- I would just stick with that.

Thanx girl :) it might be. Lol and I thought I was doing myself a favor by using the two. I just wanted to make sure everything was neutralized. Yea I don't think imma use it again. Like the shedding has stopped since that day but for me I feel like I have lost a lot of the volume of my hair. I think I'm just gonna make the switch ORS no lye.

Sondice

Well they do say Lye Relaxers are rougher on the scalp than No-Lye, maybe your scalp really did go into shock? It really does sound like you did everything right and I don't know how often your head sheds like that so much so that you think you've lost a lot of thickness.

I know right. I wish I would have taken a pic of it. I had a nice little pile of hair next to the sink when I was done.

SelfStyled

Thanx girl :) it might be. Lol and I thought I was doing myself a favor by using the two. I just wanted to make sure everything was neutralized. Yea I don't think imma use it again. Like the shedding has stopped since that day but for me I feel like I have lost a lot of the volume of my hair. I think I'm just gonna make the switch ORS no lye.

Yup- ORS sounds good.

One time I had tried Silk Elements Relaxer- and the same thing happened. My head was shedding so bad. The next relaxer I went right on back to my regular.

Good Luck Sondice!