Should all parts of the bible be given the same value?

envybeauty

I am not sure how to best formulate my inqury so bear with me....

I saw a verse posted on my church's website today. To a person who is not familiar with the bible and who wrote what part, that person may think God said what was written. I think that is misleading in a sense without further acknowledging the author of the verse. Then again, I thought, well the Bible to me is God inspired so even thought it may not have been one of the ten commandments or Jesus himself didn't say it, shouldn't that verse have the same value. Should it not?!?!?

I also thought about how some pastors will read one or two verses during a sermon and run with it. They treat some verses as if Jesus himself said it, when it may have been Paul or David (who while they may have been divinely inspired, were still regular people nonetheless). But should that matter?

Not that it matters all that much to my inquiry but the verse from the website is below.

On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.
1 Corinthians 16:2 (NIV)

dreamer26

Yes, the bible is inspired by God and has been approved for us to live by. Although God or Jesus didn't say it if he allowed it to be written in the bible he is condoning it. He put his seal on it.

Now with that said, the bible has to be read historically and contextually.

You have to understand what was being said, the time it was being said and why.

So when I come across difficult passage of scripture I reference it with a clearer passage and if that doesn't work I seek God for guidance.

That's why the bible tells us to study to show ourselves approved, a workman need not be ashame, rightly dividing the word of truth. We can't just read one verse and think we know all what heaven has to offer and understand the heart of God, because also the bible is full of parables, types, and symallies(sp), meaning that Jesus spoke about earthly things but he had heavenly meaning.

JMHO

Nice & Wavy

Yes, the bible is inspired by God and has been approved for us to live by. Although God or Jesus didn't say it if he allowed it to be written in the bible he is condoning it. He put his seal on it.

So when I come across difficult passage of scripture I reference it with a clearer passage and if that doesn't work I seek God for guidance.

That's why the bible tells us to study to show ourselves approved, a workman need not be ashame, rightly dividing the word of truth. We can't just read one verse and think we know all what heaven has to offer and understand the heart of God, because also the bible is full of parables, types, and symallies(sp), meaning that Jesus spoke about earthly things but he had heavenly meaning.

JMHO

ITA with this post!:yep:

envybeauty

JMHO

i liked your response.

Southernbella.

JMHO

I agree!:grin: