"Should You Heat Train?" Video

natura87

I found this video on youtube about heat training.Ok, first of all her hair is INSANE!!! I dont know if she is a member here or not but WHOA!! I am in no way shape or form interested in heat training and I agree with what she said but I just wanted to know what LHCF thinks.

http://youtu.be/7vqAJq235HY

For some reason comments have been disabled. I wonder why?

geejay

Her hair is amazing and beautiful. But...uhm...I don't think her opinions are very informed. I think she knows very well what is best for her hair. But I don't think she really appreciates the variety of natural hair experiences that are out there. Different strokes for different folks.

Etherealsmile

Her hair is amazing and beautiful. But...uhm...I don't think her opinions are very informed. I think she knows very well what is best for her hair. But I don't think she really appreciates the variety of natural hair experiences that are out there. Different strokes for different folks.

is she against heat training? I can't listen as i'm at work:ohwell:

pookaloo83

She should have worn a scarf. How am I supposed to pay attention to the video when all that hair is just flowing! :wallbash:

bride91501

@ her opinion in the video: ummm....ma'am? *taps computer screen* that's easy for you to say when you have hair that looks like that :rolleyes:

:lachen: :lachen: I kid, I kid

Seriously tho, I actually agree with her. I know alot of folks heat-train, and more power to them. If someone was struggling with their texture and was considering returning to a relaxer for that reason, I'd actually suggest heat-training as a last alternative. But I think it does kinda defeat the purpose of "going natural" to then "artificial-ize" your texture. JMO

lana

I don't agree with that at all :nono:

I love her hair, but if her hair IS 4a/b then I'm going to have to retype MY hair....

I do not have the same head of hair as her (lol). Not complaining, but I'm a 4a/b and my hair does not look like that at the root. (lol):lachen: Her roots look very nice but more of a 3b/c maybe.:look:

brittanynic16

I agree. :yep::yep:

Your Cheeziness

I love her hair, but if her hair IS 4a/b then I'm going to have to retype MY hair....

I do not have the same head of hair as her (lol). Not complaining, but I'm a 4a/b and my hair does not look like that at the root. (lol):lachen: Her roots look very nice but more of a 3b/c maybe.:look:

With the weight of all of that hair, I'm sure her roots will "appear" looser.

@ her opinion in the video: ummm....ma'am? *taps computer screen* that's easy for you to say when you have hair that looks like that :rolleyes:

:lachen: :lachen: I kid, I kid

Seriously tho, I actually agree with her. I know alot of folks heat-train, and more power to them. If someone was struggling with their texture and was considering returning to a relaxer for that reason, I'd actually suggest heat-training as a last alternative. But I think it does kinda defeat the purpose of "going natural" to then "artificial-ize" your texture. JMO

I understand that point, but I think a point that is missed is that not everyone wishes to wear their natural texture as their primary hair style. There are people out there who wish to be chemical-free due to scalp issues, excessive tangles, chemical burns, etc. and who may also still prefer to wear their hair straight.

Last edited:

DritaDavanzo

Exactly....she has a beautiful head of hair no doubt about it, but I think she gives a sense of false hope to those who are actually 4a/b.....I definitely think she's more 3C.

In her relaxed pics she had waist length hair....she's always had long hair it seems...so while I can acknowledge her hair is gorgeous. I'm not as awe struck because it's not like she started with a TWA and grew it out to her current length (to me that's far more inspirational/impressive) This is a chick who had crazy long relaxed hair, transitioned and ended up with crazy long natural hair......I enjoy seeing the stages/growth and the dramatic differences....in her case she went from long to long LOL

I think it's nice to draw inspiration from everywhere, but me personally, I can't draw inspiration from someone whose hair I know I'll never have :ohwell:

bride91501

I understand that point, but I think a point that is missed is that not everyone wishes to wear their natural texture as their primary hair style. There are people out there who wish to be chemical-free and still wear straight hair due to scalp issues, excessive tangles, chemical burns, etc.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on this one girl :) The decision to be a straight-hair natural is a preference. Rarely (if ever, as far as I know) is it one born out of some medical necessity.

Mind you, I'm not saying folks can't do what they wanna do with their hair- hell, I've even passed along some of the information in the heat training thread to my sister, who is addicted to relaxers and straight hair, even though she has an extremely sensitive scalp.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't pretend that heat-training is something that it's not- people making a decision that their natural hair is too nappy/kinky/tangled/radical looking/dry/unusual/different/fill-in-the-blank, and they want something different.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
heat training is not real?:ohwell:

her hair is beautiful but the more YT videos she makes the more she is loosing me....

Janet'

Well, for the first 5 years of my natural journey, I was a straight-haired natural...I wasn't heat training per se, but I also wasn't interested in wearing my hair curly...Honestly, I just continued wearing it as I had always worn it (when I was relaxed)...Her hair is gorgeous though...and for those interested...do what you do!

Your Cheeziness

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you on this one girl :) The decision to be a straight-hair natural is a preference. Rarely (if ever, as far as I know) is it one born out of some medical necessity.

Mind you, I'm not saying folks can't do what they wanna do with their hair- hell, I've even passed along some of the information in the heat training thread to my sister, who is addicted to relaxers and straight hair, even though she has an extremely sensitive scalp.

I'm just saying that we shouldn't pretend that heat-training is something that it's not- people making a decision that their natural hair is too nappy/kinky/tangled/radical looking/dry/unusual/different/fill-in-the-blank, and they want something different.

Ok, now that we have disagreed, go apply your Megatek! :lachen: (Before anybody gets up in arms, me and bride are e-cool.)

ETA: I just re-read your response. I meant to say that people may choose to go without relaxers (regardless of hairstyle) because of chemical burns, etc. and the decision to wear it straight can still be their preference. So, to that degree, I agree with you. I just typed it wrong initially.

**Back to the Ateyaa thread :giggle:

Last edited:

geejay

is she against heat training? I can't listen as i'm at work:ohwell:

Etherealsmile, Yes she is most definitely against heat training. It's pretty black and white, in her view.

I watched again and jotted down some of the things that stood out to me from her video:

- There is no such thing as heat training. It's just damage.

- Heat training is not an option for naturals

- Naturals should not want to change their hair

- If you are natural, you should not be concerned with straight hair

She's entitled to her opinions. I just don't think they are founded on anything other than her own experiences with her own hair. Which leaves out a considerable amount of other information, experiences and opinions that are available on this board, youtube and elsewhere on the internet.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I disagree with her, she knows what is right for her hair, and in all honesty, I don't think she's a 4-anything so she doesn't have these same experiences as some of us (me!), just my 2cents on the matter...

beautiful head of hair though, but I do think she's spreading false hope with all this "I'm type 4" nonsense...like I said, just my thoughts on the matter.

EllePixie

Heat "training" is a topic that there will always be debate on. She offered her opinion and I don't see anything wrong with that. If you feel some kinda way about it, oh well...

I also don't disagree with her when she says she is a 4a/4b. She wears a lot of twist outs and if you use the right moisturizer and scarf (on her edges she uses a scarf to smooth them down when she does twist outs) you can definitely make your roots look like that. I don't know what hair type I have now but the back of my hair used to be a clear 4a and I can easy straighten my roots or they'll be wavy when I do a braid/twist out from sleeping in my scarf and smoothing the hair before twisting/braiding.

bride91501

@Etherealsmile, Yes she is most definitely against heat training. It's pretty black and white, in her view.

I watched again and jotted down some of the things that stood out to me from her video:

- There is no such thing as heat training. It's just damage.

- Heat training is not an option for naturals

- Naturals should not want to change their hair

- If you are natural, you should not be concerned with straight hair

She's entitled to her opinions. I just don't think they are founded on anything other than her own experiences with her own hair. Which leaves out a considerable amount of other information, experiences and opinions that are available on this board, youtube and elsewhere on the internet.

Ok, I'm not sure where I was at when she said all that, but I clearly missed it:perplexed. Can't say I agree completely with her then :nono:

Ok @Your Cheeziness....I'm outa this thread. off to pop a garlic pill.... :lol:

likewtr4chklit

Hmm the "naturals should just be happy wit their naps and shut up POV" whatev. The only thing I do agree with is that heat training is essentially burning the curl out of your hair overtime. The heat trained naturals that I know (usually older women who have been pressing their hair from the beginning) end up not even having a curl pattern after a while. For all that you could have tex-laxed and saved yourself some time (and might still have a curl pattern)

CrueltyFree

She can label her hair whatever she wants. Why people feel the need to "disagree" with something she identifies her hair as is kind of weird. You mad? Maybe it's not all that puzzling, but eh that's just how I feel about it. Curl pattern typing is all subjective anyway and it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I think the owner of the hair has the authority on the matter but I know things don't work that way.

Anyways, I agree with her general sentiments about heat training and that heat training is just...heat...damage :look:. But I do think her delivery was a tad too dogmatic. What she says isn't law so if you don't agree then continue to do you.