Shrinkage with a Relaxer

-Love Love*

Okay so my hair is relaxed [although I'm stretching] and when I wash it I experience shrinking. I've read a lot about shrinkage on here so I figured it was normal, but it usually occurred with Naturals. Does it mean something different for me since I'm relaxed?

All hair looks longer when it's wet.

When your hair is wet it's more elastic and weighed down :yep:

I have horrible shrinkage. When I blow my hair out or wet wrap it, it is at it's actual length for all of about 30 minutes and then it seems to draw up :ohwell:. My bangs are lip length but fall right at mid nose after they're styled. (even when flat ironed straight) I don't get it but I've come to accept that about my hair. :look:

I was confused by the same thing....

Its just that even though your relaxed, you probally still have some curl left in your hair, so when it gets wet, however you had it styled/straightened goes away, and the curl comes back, and it shrinks up and thats how it will dry and look if you dont do anything else to it.

To avoid that, while airdrying you can put it in a braid or bun...something that will keep it from curling/shrinking.

Also what Neith and MizzAvalon were saying.

Okay so my hair is relaxed [although I'm stretching] and when I wash it I experience shrinking. I've read a lot about shrinkage on here so I figured it was normal, but it usually occurred with Naturals. Does it mean something different for me since I'm relaxed?

shrinkage is shrinkage....

if your hair is extra "spongy" (like mine) you will most likely have shrinkage even when relaxed.

the only time i don't have shrinkage is when my hair is flatironed.

I have horrible shrinkage. When I blow my hair out or wet wrap it, it is at it's actual length for all of about 30 minutes and then it seems to draw up :ohwell:.

This describes my hair, too. That is why I will no longer wrap my hair wet. When it is dry, then it will be all right. I wish it didn't take so long to dry.:rolleyes:

Shrinkage is a real bummer. I am relaxed and when my hair is wet it looks close to APL. But when dry it does not look as long. This is why I am waiting until I am at least BSL before I wear my real hair out so I can enjoy having some length.

I'm texlaxed, but if you didn't know any better you would think I was natural at the amount of shrinkage I have! Even with a bone straight relaxer, once that new growth starts coming in your hair will shrink.

Back