SHS stylist are not your friends

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I went to a Stylist for the 1st time since '08 (in September 2014).

I wanted a 'professional' looking blow Dry/Flat Iron for a serious Date.:lick:

I had never been to her before (recommended by a Friend).

So, I DC'ed overnight and applied my own Heat Protectant and went in to the Salon with a Pre-Conditioned/Pre-Heat Protectant Head.

When I called her to make the Appointment, I explained to her I would be doing just that and she said it would be the same price regardless (which I figured it would).:ohwell:

When I got there and removed Wig, Plastic Cap and she proceeded to blow dry, she kept saying "you need a trim to even things out" I said: "um hmm, maybe next time. But this time I just want a blow dry and flat iron." :look:

She asked if I was natural (I had just had a T/U Friday) this was on a Monday.:lol:

I simply told her "No I am Relaxed" She gave me a smirky look.

But she did what I asked all the while saying: "Next time you come back.....you need a,b,c,d,"

I thought: Chile....please you ain't seeing me again.:lol:

Lucia

I went to a Stylist for the 1st time since '08 (in September 2014). I wanted a 'professional' looking blow Dry/Flat Iron for a serious Date.:lick: I had never been to her before (recommended by a Friend). So, I DC'ed overnight and applied my own Heat Protectant and went in to the Salon with a Pre-Conditioned/Pre-Heat Protectant Head. When I called her to make the Appointment, I explained to her I would be doing just that and she said it would be the same price regardless (which I figured it would).:ohwell: When I got there and removed Wig, Plastic Cap and she proceeded to blow dry, she kept saying "you need a trim to even things out" I said: "um hmm, maybe next time. But this time I just want a blow dry and flat iron." :look: She asked if I was natural (I had just had a T/U Friday) this was on a Monday.:lol: I simply told her "No I am Relaxed" She gave me a smirky look. But she did what I asked all the while saying: "Next time you come back.....you need a,b,c,d," I thought: Chile....please you ain't seeing me again.:lol:

See :look: you know what she was trying to do
I'm glad you were firm and diligent.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@Lucia

Girl....She was salivating at the thought of reaching for & grabbing those Scissors!:spinning: I could just see/feel it.:lol:

I walked out in control with just what I asked for so I didn't mind paying full price.

mz.rae

This is a good thread!! I had a similar experience as a lot of the women in this thread. Back in October/November I went to this one stylist after seeing some of work on instagram, and seeing she did this one girl's hair that I remember from high school who always had nice hair. This stylist was new I believe she graduated hair school a year and a half ago. Anyway the first time I went to her I had just recently came out of having Senegalese twist so I probably did need a trim, but I only brought the amount of money she said it would be for a blow out and flat iron. Anyway she asked about my ends and told me the price of the trim and I told her not today on my next visit I would. Anyway she did an on the house baby dusting, which to me after that my ends looked fine. The next time I came back with the extra money for the trim, and after flat ironing my hair and looking at it she said I had 3 inches worth of split ends. To me that didn't sound right and I wasn't going to let her cut that much of my hair off. Since then I haven't gone back to her and have gone to another stylist that said what trimming they did they didn't do thorough trim and he just did a dusting no where near the 3 inches that the other person was talking about.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
She asked me what products I used.....

Ya'll know I wasn't gettin' into alladat,:spinning: so I just said I had an Affirm (Mild) Lye Relaxer and kept it at that.:lol:

I know my Hair was well conditioned and well maintained, so I wasn't about to have no debate about that.:rolleyes:

SmilingElephant

I've been trimming my own hair since 2008 using the Feyes Method.

I NEVER let a stylist trim my hair. Never ever ever!

The last time I went to a salon it was a Dominican salon. They kept asking me if I wanted a texturizer, making a huge fuss over how much hair I had...the amount I brought to tip...was the amount she bumped my quoted price up to...ten more dollars.

I told her "No scissors. I'm so serious...just blowdry and flat iron...I do my own trims. " and she left my ends alone.

That was back in 2013.....I haven't been to another salon since. I don't have time to look for somebody who I trust with my hair...ppl play too much.

So I either use the Feyes method after flat ironing my own hair or I dust my ends using the Devachan method of dusting curl by curl. And I trim every 6 to 12 months.

Lucia

I've been trimming my own hair since 2008 using the Feyes Method. I NEVER let a stylist trim my hair. Never ever ever! The last time I went to a salon it was a Dominican salon. They kept asking me if I wanted a texturizer, making a huge fuss over how much hair I had...the amount I brought to tip...was the amount she bumped my quoted price up to...ten more dollars. I told her "No scissors. I'm so serious...just blowdry and flat iron...I do my own trims. " and she left my ends alone. That was back in 2013.....I haven't been to another salon since. I don't have time to look for somebody who I trust with my hair...ppl play too much. So I either use the Feyes method after flat ironing my own hair or I dust my ends using the Devachan method of dusting curl by curl. And I trim every 6 to 12 months.

SmilingElephant

Yes say it again

I had to learn how to trim flat iron style etc. all so I don't have to depend on a stylist who could set me back years. I'm learning some simple but elegant updos I can do myself.

SmilingElephant

I've been noticing a couple of salons...some I used to go to growing up....have closed down.

I don't get why...with all this wealth of information for natural/curly hair...why can't hair dressers get with the times and give us what we want?

I've read stories where some ppl who were clients of hairdressers; would get all scientific on them providing scientific evidence and the hair dressers not supporting it or listening to it at all.

I see more diy women with super long hair and healthy hair...than I do on the ones who frequent a salon...bc we take time time to learn what OUR hair is all about and what it needs.

We demand the service...so why isn't it being given? They're losing jobs! :(

Lucia

I've been noticing a couple of salons...some I used to go to growing up....have closed down. I don't get why...with all this wealth of information for natural/curly hair...why can't hair dressers get with the times and give us what we want? I've read stories where some ppl who were clients of hairdressers; would get all scientific on them providing scientific evidence and the hair dressers not supporting it or listening to it at all. I see more diy women with super long hair and healthy hair...than I do on the ones who frequent a salon...bc we take time time to learn what OUR hair is all about and what it needs. We demand the service...so why isn't it being given? They're losing jobs! :(

SmilingElephant

I've noticed the same thing many salons open then 3 months later they close only some of the family type chains some barber shops are still open and some big name ritzy expensive salon spas.

You make too much sense and that would be too easy. NYC has devachon miss Jessie's etc. so it's coming but they are few and not available everywhere :ohwell: Even if I went to a curly salon I would still check them out before I let them touch my hair.

I know there are some cosmetologist a in the board hint we just gave you an idea run with it.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

SmilingElephant

I've noticed the same thing many salons open then 3 months later they close only some of the family type chains some barber shops are still open and some big name ritzy expensive salon spas.

You make too much sense and that would be too easy. NYC has devachon miss Jessie's etc. so it's coming but they are few and not available everywhere :/ Even if I went to a curly salon I would still check them out before I let them touch my hair.

I know there are some cosmetologist a in the board hint we just gave you an idea run with it.

It absolutely BLOWS my mind!!!

Like....are they not following the trend? That would be a major hub in supporting anything black owned....places that cater (Properly) to our hair needs.

I suck at braiding braiding my hair. I would pay someone to do even just two french braids....but bc I don't TRUST going to anybody to do my hair....I never wear my hair in braids!

If i went to a salon to have my hair styled right now and just asked for just twists or some simple braids....I'd be charge the same price of my light bill, they'd try to force a chemical treatment on me or try to cut my hair.....when that ain't what I asked for.

I don't wanna go through alladat!

A salon is supposed to be a place where someone does something to your hair that you asked for, but don't have time to do it yourself or don't feel like it. It should be a relaxing experience....in my experience it has never been relaxing. Even while...relaxed lol.

So now there's thousands of women going natural and the vast majority of us have become DIY bc everybody wants to give us a hard time.

Ain't nobody got time for dat!!

And you definitely lose money when u don't accommodate your customers.

naturalmanenyc

Saw this on Instagram. She lost 4-8 inches after trusting a stylist. The cut is uneven and was seemingly done on purpose. Her hair was not damaged and didn't need that drastic cut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I NEVER let a stylist trim my hair. Never ever ever!

The last time I went to a salon it was a Dominican salon. They kept asking me if I wanted a texturizer, making a huge fuss over how much hair I had...the amount I brought to tip...was the amount she bumped my quoted price up to...ten more dollars.

I told her "No scissors. I'm so serious...just blowdry and flat iron...I do my own trims. " and she left my ends alone.

That was back in 2013.....I haven't been to another salon since. I don't have time to look for somebody who I trust with my hair...ppl play too much.

@SmilingElephant @Lucia

I was randomly toying around with the idea of possibly getting/trying a Dominican Salon for a Blow-Out, so since I had no 'reference point' I went to YELP to look at Local reviews.

One Salon I read up on had several Customers complain that the Dominican Salon had mixed "Relaxer" in their Conditioner(s) and was applying it to Naturals before performing the Blow-Out.

Needless to say that 'random thought' completely left my mind and startled me at the same time!:blush: #shadypractices

SmilingElephant

@SmilingElephant @Lucia

I was randomly toying around with the idea of possibly getting/trying a Dominican Salon for a Blow-Out, so since I had no 'reference point' I went to YELP to look at Local reviews.

One Salon I read up on had several Customers complain that the Dominican Salon had mixed "Relaxer" in their Conditioner(s) and was applying it to Naturals before performing the Blow-Out.

Needless to say that 'random thought' completely left my mind and startled me at the same time!:blush: #shadypractices

Don't nevah!:nono: lol

It ain't worth it! (Ms. Sophia's voice) lol

Bun Mistress

This is so true. I usually only let one woman cut my hair, she is in a another city and if I need a cut when I'm in town I call her.

I left a dude cut my hair after a sew take down becasue it was time for a trim. I honestly only need a trim about every six months. He cut off 4 to 6 inches stating that he wanted to make it even (ie he cut to the bulk of my hair) and in a blunt cut. I didn't ask for a blunt cut I asked for a trim. My hair grows in a V shape always has. Never again.

Lucia

@SmilingElephant @Lucia I was randomly toying around with the idea of possibly getting/trying a Dominican Salon for a Blow-Out, so since I had no 'reference point' I went to YELP to look at Local reviews. One Salon I read up on had several Customers complain that the Dominican Salon had mixed "Relaxer" in their Conditioner(s) and was applying it to Naturals before performing the Blow-Out. Needless to say that 'random thought' completely left my mind and startled me at the same time!:blush: #shadypractices

IDareT'sHair

I heard that too can you post the link if you have it
That's not only shady and illegal but dangerous a lot of people can't perm or color because they have allergies they shouldn't play around with people like that they'll get sued or worse do that to the wrong person

Lucia

Saw this on Instagram. She lost 4-8 inches after trusting a stylist. The cut is uneven and was seemingly done on purpose. Her hair was not damaged and didn't need that drastic cut.

naturalmanenyc
There's no reason for that look at how puny her bun became I think she needs to sue them on small claims she has dated pics as proof.

Harina

^^ Pretty sure this is what happened to me recently. I wish there was a way to prove it for sure. ****** *****.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Going to play devil's advocate:

STYLISTS. When the hair is cut into a STYLE, it's to make its appearance a lot better. You cut the damaged, weakened areas and try and give shape to the overall hair. It'll grow back. This is like going to your hygienist and telling them how you only want certain teeth cleaned. That's when you need to decide what you want: 1) health of hair or 2) nice appearance of hair and choose to forego cuts. Nobody wants to send a client from their chair and their hair looks janky. Oftentimes, people can't see what the backs of their hair truly look like.

Lucia

@Lucia
SHS strikes again!

I feel for her, all that work and time gone. Some of the comments are suggesting that this stylist sabotaged her on purpose since they kept pressuring her to come in for a cut.
Umm.. red flag #1 : too eager to do color cut whatever to your hair, 100% of the time they will jack your stuff up!

I just saw that and about to post it, were -->HERE<---
That was just outright sabotage that stylist does not know how to cut curly hair at all. I wonder if this stylist knows how to cut hair at all or knows the difference between a trim and a cut. Just straight butchered her hair.
I'm heated, :angry2: sorry this was just wrong, I'll try and send her the link to this thread, I know she's not a member here. She could probably sue, because she has documented time stamped proof of this curly hair carnage.

She was naive about having her hair trimmed while curly you never let just any old stylist cut your hair curly, NEVER!!!
When I would go to a trusted shop even if they were black or latino I would always straighten my hair first, I don't even trust some so-called deva stylists I have to see there technique on someone else first.
She saw a woman come in with long curly hair and leave with short curly hair.
She should have done like the last guy waiting on a cut in this ad- got up and left.

Last edited:

ThatJerseyGirl

See.....that stylist wouldn't have gotten that off on me....

yall already know what happened years ago when a stylist did me like that. I beat.the.breaks.off.... I specifically told this trick I wanted a slight dusting. There really wasn't anything wrong with my hair at all. So there was another stylist doing a client's hair across from me and the sheer look of horror on her face told me what i needed to know. I looked down and saw my hair laying on the floor in all of it's glory?

I lost it. Damaged the shop and everything with no F's given. Yup, I was and probably still am about dat life when it comes to my hair....oh well. this is why i don't do salons.