*sigh* Anyone figure out how to deal with their crown issues yet?

BillsBackerz67

I did a search and realized that a lot of people are having the same probs I am and wondering if anyone found a solution or something that worked for them. I am at a lost as to what to do with my crown hair. For some reason it still either splits uncontrollably, is super DRYYYYYYYYY, or there are like 4 or 5 single strand knots on each strand in the middle of my head:perplexed. As a result I keep cutting it and it ends up doing the same thing eachtime it grows back. Meanwhile the front back and sides are growing in awesome and I dont have any probs. Im almost tempted to cut my entire head again, but what for if its going to grow in exactly the same?:ohwell: I tried adding extra products to that section, oils, deep conditioners etc. cutting down on the WNG's but to no avail. Its like that section doesnt absorb or respond to anything I put on it. Any suggestions?

kblc06

I did a search and realized that a lot of people are having the same probs I am and wondering if anyone found a solution or something that worked for them. I am at a lost as to what to do with my crown hair. For some reason it still either splits uncontrollably, is super DRYYYYYYYYY, or there are like 4 or 5 single strand knots on each strand in the middle of my head:perplexed. As a result I keep cutting it and it ends up doing the same thing eachtime it grows back. Meanwhile the front back and sides are growing in awesome and I dont have any probs. Im almost tempted to cut my entire head again, but what for if its going to grow in exactly the same?:ohwell: I tried adding extra products to that section, oils, deep conditioners etc. cutting down on the WNG's but to no avail. Its like that section doesnt absorb or respond to anything I put on it. Any suggestions?

I've noticed the same thing...and what's ironic is that it's my loosest section of hair (like 2c/3a). I plan to start bunning and braiding hair into my ponytails to keep it protected. I straightened and dusted my hair last week and that was really the only area that had split ends & mid-shaft splits :wallbash:. I'm starting to incorporate GVP detangler & Roots of Nature oil moisturizer to help soften and detangle that area. I've also started dividing my hair in half to make absolutely sure that area gets moisturizer applied to it. I've yet to figure out why it's so dry and wiry :ohwell:

Ozma

Thanks for this thread. I have the same exact problem, with my crown area being dry, coarse 4a. The rest of my hair is fine 3b/3c and is reaching for APL. I think my crown is just now chin length stretched. I try to keep this section super moisturized and protected at all times.

If you keep us informed about what might be working for you, I would appreciate it.:yep:

Honey01

I wish I could say I had. I am really going to try and baby this area this time around (just got a fresh trim all over of at least 3 inches).

It always amazes me that this section of my hair seems to get the most growth, but is the most prone to breakage. And it is also the area most resistant to relaxer.

I no longer back comb this area so I dunno what the problem is.

Last edited:
^^ You're right about that. That area grows much faster than average, but breaks like crazy and stays dry. I'm going to experiment with different oil mixtures applied to the scalp. I might try mixing castor oil and amla oil to that section and see if it helps.

BostonMaria

I have the same problem. My crown area is very dry and I have to baby it. I don't have a solution but I can tell you some things I do to try to make it better:

At night I will moisturize and add shea butter to that area, then I braid my hair in sections and put a scarf on. Avocado and hemp butter also helps. With me its key to not let my hair start to get dry before applying any type of product. If I'm going to use gel I have to add extra conditioner to that area.

I pre-poo once a week with coconut oil or any other oil I can grab. I do this for at least one hour.

I avoid shampooing more than once a month. If I do shampoo I use a moisturizing one or my Shikakai bar.

I try to alternate between wet hair (wash and go's and ponytails) and rollersetting my hair. When I rollerset I can analyze my hair strands much easier and it also gives me the opportunity to not manipulate my hair as much. When my hair is straight my crown area blends in nicely with the rest of my hair. You can't even tell there's a problem.

Like I said, those things haven't completely gotten rid of the problem but it has helped alleviate it a bit. HTH!

Last edited:

heyfranz

My crown hair is doing okay right now. I use extra products when i DC, I now do a HOT, then DC overnight, and finish up my wash routine with PC. My scalp at the crown is still "super" itchy, though. I've tried everything to remedy that situation to no avail. I'm just happy that for now, my crown is not breaking. It is still drier and still has a "wiry" texture.

Patricia

Same here! I put more conditioner on that area. I cut my hair several times cause my hair wont catch up. I'm just letting my hair grow at its own pace now. no more cutting

Nice & Wavy

Ya'll are not alone. I think that I've found something that has helped me recently...

I don't CW as much...I've been spraying my hair with Dove Replinishing Mist (which seems to be out of commission:wallbash:) and now I'm replacing it with Mane n' Tail Detangler which is doing an excellent job.:yep: to wet my hair instead of water. I then use Qhemet Burdock Root buttercreme on my hair and seal it with Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade. I've been doing this everyday on dry hair: spray, butter, pomade and my hair in the crown has done a complete about-face. I'm actually surprised cause everything I used didn't work.

I have a feeling its the wetting the hair too much. I am like Boston Maria now and only shampooing my hair once per month, and only use Shikakkai to cleanse with. I will only CW once per week and start the process over again on DRY hair. It's been working for me and I hope that it continues:yep:

There must be a solution to all of this....:wallbash:

ETA: oh, and that part of my hair is the shortest as well cause I kept cutting the ends to try and help it....that really sucked.

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

I've noticed the same thing...and what's ironic is that it's my loosest section of hair (like 2c/3a). I plan to start bunning and braiding hair into my ponytails to keep it protected. I straightened and dusted my hair last week and that was really the only area that had split ends & mid-shaft splits :wallbash:. I'm starting to incorporate GVP detangler & Roots of Nature oil moisturizer to help soften and detangle that area. I've also started dividing my hair in half to make absolutely sure that area gets moisturizer applied to it. I've yet to figure out why it's so dry and wiry :ohwell:
Mine is like a dry wiry 4b or something. I cant tell what type of hair is there cuz its mad crazy and stubborn . Everytime I go to the salon to get it straightened Im embarassed cuz the lady looks at my hair like "wtf have you been doing to this part of ur head while the rest is all healthy and nice looking?" :lachen: Im thinking maybe I need to deep condition about 5x per week in that area only. Im on a mission to get this part figured out.

BillsBackerz67

I have the same problem. My crown area is very dry and I have to baby it. I don't have a solution but I can tell you some things I do to try to make it better:

At night I will moisturize and add shea butter to that area, then I braid my hair in sections and put a scarf on. Avocado and hemp butter also helps. With me its key to not let my hair start to get dry before applying any type of product. If I'm going to use gel I have to add extra conditioner to that area.

I pre-poo once a week with coconut oil or any other oil I can grab. I do this for at least one hour.

I avoid shampooing more than once a month. If I do shampoo I use a moisturizing one or my Shikakai bar.

I try to alternate between wet hair (wash and go's and ponytails) and rollersetting my hair. When I rollerset I can analyze my hair strands much easier and it also gives me the opportunity to not manipulate my hair as much. When my hair is straight my crown area blends in nicely with the rest of my hair. You can't even tell there's a problem.

Like I said, those things haven't completely gotten rid of the problem but it has helped alleviate it a bit. HTH!

thanks so much for this...my hair blends in perfectly when straightened but if you where to feel it thats a whole nother story:look: My stylist doesnt really know why my hair is acting like it but she trims it in a way where it blends in. Im going to add some butter and oils to my routine on a daily basis to see how that works. Im not diligent on nightly moisturizing and maybe that is my prob.:nono:

BillsBackerz67

My crown hair is doing okay right now. I use extra products when i DC, I now do a HOT, then DC overnight, and finish up my wash routine with PC. My scalp at the crown is still "super" itchy, though. I've tried everything to remedy that situation to no avail. I'm just happy that for now, my crown is not breaking. It is still drier and still has a "wiry" texture.
I get the itchies there a lot too. the one thing I dont have is breakage issues but as much as I cut it I may as well. :nono:

BillsBackerz67

Ya'll are not alone. I think that I've found something that has helped me recently...

I don't CW as much...I've been spraying my hair with Dove Replinishing Mist (which seems to be out of commission:wallbash:) and now I'm replacing it with Mane n' Tail Detangler which is doing an excellent job.:yep: to wet my hair instead of water. I then use Qhemet Burdock Root buttercreme on my hair and seal it with Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade. I've been doing this everyday on dry hair: spray, butter, pomade and my hair in the crown has done a complete about-face. I'm actually surprised cause everything I used didn't work.

I have a feeling its the wetting the hair too much. I am like Boston Maria now and only shampooing my hair once per month, and only use Shikakkai to cleanse with. I will only CW once per week and start the process over again on DRY hair. It's been working for me and I hope that it continues:yep:

ETA: oh, and that part of my hair is the shortest as well cause I kept cutting the ends to try and help it....that really sucked.

hmmmm you may be on to something. maybe my crown area doesnt like CW or a lot of water. I do that daily and as a result the rest of my hair is thriving except for that area. I have cut out shampoo to a minimum with my regi, but maybe I can try blending tht area in without actually washing it with the rest of my hair. Thansk for replying. Im going to give it a month or 2 and see what works:yep:.

vkb247

I have this problem and this area is also less dense so it is much more obvious when it is damaged and breaking. Breakage in the crown started me on my healthy hair journey. I had to learn to take more time to detangle it, put extra moisture on it, never wear my hair loose when sleeping (I sleep on my back a lot and it gets all mashed up which makes the issues worse), and henna has really helped make all my hair detangle easier and take product much better.

Ozma

I have this problem and this area is also less dense so it is much more obvious when it is damaged and breaking. Breakage in the crown started me on my healthy hair journey. I had to learn to take more time to detangle it, put extra moisture on it, never wear my hair loose when sleeping (I sleep on my back a lot and it gets all mashed up which makes the issues worse), and henna has really helped make all my hair detangle easier and take product much better.

I am seeing some improvement with henna, too. I think that Nice & Wavy and BostonMaria are on to something. Too frequent co-washing has contributed to the dryness. I saw a thread in the Natural Forum about a mixture of glycerine, aloe juice and castor oil. I am going to apply this daily to the crown area.

melodies815

Thanks for this. My DD's hair is always shorter there. Hers is a little to the back of the crown, but still in the same general area, and while it doesn't tangle, it breaks at the ends. It stays crazy dry at the ends. I baby her ends now with shea butter ALL THE TIME, and I think I am starting to see a difference but don't know yet. It's going to take a few months of consistency.

Thanks for posting your reggie!

cj

Cassandra1975

I think that's a big part of it. Last night I put some twists in with my shea butter mixture, on damp hair. All the twists were plump and moisturized. I put my scarf on and went to bed. I wake up this morning, and all the twists in the crown area are dry like the Sahara, while the rest is fine. It's like sleeping on your back allows the pillow to wick all the moisture out of that area, regardless of if you have the scarf on or not. Very frustrating! I have yet to figure out a solution.

vkb247

^^^I sleep with my hair in a loose ponytail or even up in a banana clip. My hair has to be up when I sleep or I get breakage. I don't know if this would work so well for people who have issues with their edges.

BillsBackerz67

I am seeing some improvement with henna, too. I think that Nice & Wavy and BostonMaria are on to something. Too frequent co-washing has contributed to the dryness. I saw a thread in the Natural Forum about a mixture of glycerine, aloe juice and castor oil. I am going to apply this daily to the crown area.
A former member here named Peachtree had some homemade glycerin recipe for her crown and it worked extremely well for her. I need to check out her fotki to see if she still has the recipe up. It was a year or 2 ago.

dlewis

My daughter and I have this problem too. I keep this area conditioned and I still have dryness issues. I'll be watching this thread.

LynnieB

Disclaimer: Don't laugh.........yet.

Thinking about how so many have crowns that can get dry, more prone to split ends or other unbecoming hair behaviors, has it ever occurred to any one that it could be because your crown (the top of your head) is ALWAYS exposed to the UV rays and heat of the sun?

Unless you weave or wear hats constantly so that it's covered up, for the most part.

Actually just being out and about every day the sun beats down on the scalp and hair every time we step outside.....and if even if it's not sunny, UV rays are still out there and the top of your head is vulnerable.

I'm sure a sunscreen in your products could help but unless it's SPF 100, there should still be some sort of cumulative effect going on, right?

So maybe the crown requires a bit of X-tra of whatever else you're using on the rest of your hair?

Just thinking out loud.

Feel free to laugh now ;)

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I didn't know so many were suffering from crown issues. This has always been my problem spot, natural or relaxed. I have to force myself not to cry or get angry when I detangle this area. It is sooo dry and tangle prone.:nono:

BillsBackerz67

Thinking about how so many have crowns that can get dry, more prone to split ends or other unbecoming hair behaviors, has it ever occurred to any one that it could be because your crown (the top of your head) is ALWAYS exposed to the UV rays and heat of the sun?

Unless you weave or wear hats constantly so that it's covered up, for the most part.

Actually just being out and about every day the sun beats down on the scalp and hair every time we step outside.....and if even if it's not sunny, UV rays are still out there and the top of your head is vulnerable.

I'm sure a sunscreen in your products could help but unless it's SPF 100, there should still be some sort of cumulative effect going on, right?

So maybe the crown requires a bit of X-tra of whatever else you're using on the rest of your hair?

Just thinking out loud.

Feel free to laugh now ;)

Good theory and totallynot laughable!:yep:...but I know for me this is not the case. I live in Buffalo and during the winter Im barely outside and when I am outside, I wear a hat. I have more probs with it in the winter than the summer. So in my case I dont think its the UV rays.

msa

Actually Lynnie, this is completely plausible so no laughing here. My crown issues are due to scalp issues. That area gets sore randomly and the hair there is thinner and more fragile. My dermatologist actually said that it may be because of the sun (I'm sensitive to it).

My crown area felt the best (with no soreness or itchiness) when I was using Oyin Juices & Berries, followed with whipped pudding, and I had a weave in. The Juices & Berries has lots of herbs that contribute to scalp health and the whipped pudding is shea butter based which does provide some protection from the sun. Also, having my hair in a weave meant the crown was covered, and I couldn't scratch or rub it too much (which causes breakage for me).

Brownie518

My crown used to be extremely dry, too. Once I started spraying it with Oyin Juices n Berries, it's all good. Especially before I sit under the dryer. I spray it to death with the Oyin before getting under the hood and that helped tremendously.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I'm usually not conspiracy theorist...but I've been on Indian and Dubai/Kuwait hair threads seeing posters with the same problems. I'm simply surprised at the many folks on here who are experiencing crown dryness and/or breakage...and I am one of them. It's probably that I never had a problem before...so naturally, I'll be more intune with others having that prob now. :nono:

I use castor oil and a conditioner and try and massage it, making sure to be extra gentle and wrap my hair at night. That Profectiv's is nice. It's improving...just miserable.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Actually Lynnie, this is completely plausible so no laughing here. My crown issues are due to scalp issues. That area gets sore randomly and the hair there is thinner and more fragile. My dermatologist actually said that it may be because of the sun (I'm sensitive to it).

My crown area felt the best (with no soreness or itchiness) when I was using Oyin Juices & Berries, followed with whipped pudding, and I had a weave in. The Juices & Berries has lots of herbs that contribute to scalp health and the whipped pudding is shea butter based which does provide some protection from the sun. Also, having my hair in a weave meant the crown was covered, and I couldn't scratch or rub it too much (which causes breakage for me).

I'm beginning to believe this is my prob as well because I moved to a much higher altitude environment so sun's rays are stronger. :nono: Although I usually wear it back in a bun and no parts to the crown, it's just the area that gets fried by the sun.

Jalen's Mom

OMG, I thought it was just me. I've never had this problem until this year. Okay, maybe I didn't notice it. My crown is extremely dry, and it is resistant to relaxers. Plus, my scalp is always very sore. I use to think that my scalp was dirty, but it still hurts after I wash, and I was 2 times a week. I'm very tempted to go see my dermatologist. Before I got that route, I'll probably try to experiment with butters and my rose water, glycerin and aloe vera juice mixture. :wallbash: