Sl 2016 Challenge

faithVA

How many inches or so does one need to reach full shoulder length in the back only? Or does height etc. matters? I think I'm measuring wrong it says I only need 7 inches to be full shoulder in the back..I'm 2 inches in the back.. now...need only 5 inches in the back to be full sl

It varies from person to person. It can vary based on the length of your neck and the distance between the bottom of your neck to the top of your shoulder blade. With that said 7" can definitely be right. For most people it is probably between 5" and 8".

You've been quiet lately. Are you taking care of your hair? sticking to a regimen? keeping your hair tucked away?

jennifer30

It varies from person to person. It can vary based on the length of your neck and the distance between the bottom of your neck to the top of your shoulder blade. With that said 7" can definitely be right. For most people it is probably between 5" and 8".

You've been quiet lately. Are you taking care of your hair? sticking to a regimen? keeping your hair tucked away?
yeah but it was past my shoulder blade...so that would be full sl, right?
I'm ok. Thanks for asking. Just had internet problems. I'm gonna put my hair away for a while. I did an apogee treatment last week..it has reduced the breakage a little. I just want to make apl someday. So I'm gonna see in the next months. Looks like you will make full sl soon. Congratulations faith on your progress.

faithVA

yeah but it was past my shoulder blade...so I dunno
I'm ok. Thanks for asking. Just had internet problems. I'm gonna put my hair away for a while. I did an apogee treatment last week..it has reduced the breakage a little. I just want to make apl someday. So I'm gonna see in the next months. Looks like you will make full sl soon. Congratulations faith on your progress.

We are close in length, I think based on the last picture I saw of yours. My nape may be a bit longer but the rest of your hair is longer. My nape has reached SL but the area right above it hasn't reached full NL yet.

I'm hoping my nape reaches SL by the summer but the rest of the back won't be SL until December. So that sounds about where you are as well.

We have to be in the game for the long haul. Inch by inch we can get there. We just have to keep the inches we grow.

Hang in there. Stay patient and celebrate the in between moments.

jennifer30

We are close in length, I think based on the last picture I saw of yours. My nape may be a bit longer but the rest of your hair is longer. My nape has reached SL but the area right above it hasn't reached full NL yet.

I'm hoping my nape reaches SL by the summer but the rest of the back won't be SL until December. So that sounds about where you are as well.

We have to be in the game for the long haul. Inch by inch we can get there. We just have to keep the inches we grow.

Hang in there. Stay patient and celebrate the in between moments.
Yep. I agree. Thank you. We"ll get there.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
my flat twist was bad too.... if you keep trying it will get better.:2inlove:

I'm not giving up...I did another set last night and they were amazin (except the middle where I could hardly reach) ...though I doubt if I will do a twist out. Its cold this week so I'm keeping my beanie on until next wash day.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Used the flexi rods last night and the curls were pretty much the same. They tend to be a bit more spiral type curls with these but I don't mind that.
I used about 9 or 10 and it wasn't hard to sleep in them at all. Looks like I'll have to buy more of these and store my perm rods for a while. I imagine once I nurse my hair back to health I can use the perm rods occasionally. Now time to start on all the vitamins. @KiWiStyle where did you get L-Cystein?
Mariano's, I'm in Chicago.

faithVA

yeah but it was past my shoulder blade...so that would be full sl, right?
Didn't see your question before. Past your shoulder blade is full SL.

faithVA

I mixed JC Curling Cream with some water and used that to twist. That seems to work better than using it straight. I'm going to okay around with water down moisturizers and stylers to see if I get a better set.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I trimmed my hair last night! It's been over six months since my last cut so I was well over due! My color treated ends were catching onto themselves causing a detangling nightmare! My ends were rough and dry even when wet :confused: so they had to go. Luckily I can still flat twist...BTW, my new ends curled nicely even with another inch of color on them. I took too much off from my bangs...oh, well my hair will definitely take off now and I'm sure I'm still in the 2016 SL game!!

faithVA

I trimmed my hair last night! It's been over six months since my last cut so I was well over due! My color treated ends were catching onto themselves causing a detangling nightmare! My ends were rough and dry even when wet :confused: so they had to go. Luckily I can still flat twist...BTW, my new ends curled nicely even with another inch of color on them. I took too much off from my bangs...oh, well my hair will definitely take off now and I'm sure I'm still in the 2016 SL game!!
Yay. Definitely stay in the game. It's still early in the year and you will have a lot of progress this year.

LdyKamz

I cowashed last night and used Shea moisture curl and style milk, then it's a 10 leave in with keratin and sealed with castor oil. I set my hair on flexi rods and this morning my hair was still wet. Usually my hair is dry by morning on perm rods. Also when I took them out some of my hair was stuck to the flexi rod. I didn't like that at all. Have to get used to these things.

On the plus side once my hair dried it was crazy soft. I can't stop touching it. And it was really shiny. I think I used a good moisture combo. I'm going to try it again next time I cowash and see if it was a fluke.

faithVA

Today was my wash day but I decided to postpone it. I'm going to an event on Saturday and going to do my hair Saturday morning so didn't think it was worth it to do my hair tonight and then again on Saturday morning. I took down each twist, spritzed with Alikay Naturals leave-in and sealed with Design Essentials moisturizer and twisted back up.

My ends need dusting but I'm going to hold out for another 3 weeks. I hope they don't impact my rollerset too much on Saturday.

LdyKamz

Going to try for a trim this weekend. It's early and I wanted to try to align my trims with check in dates so I would have clean ends in my progress pics but oh well.

Eta: Going to trim next time I straighten in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

faithVA

I am getting so lazy. No matter what day it is I don't feel like washing my hair :sad: I forced myself tonight because I'm going to an event tomorrow. I feel a lot of buns and French rolls in my future :lol: My flat twist are fine for work but I don't like to wear them for special occasions.

I took out my flat twist and was surprised how defined my hair was. If it was just a bit longer I could have rocked a twist out tomorrow. I'm very excited about the possibilities of being able to do a flat twist out in the fall.

I finally did wash and now I'm under the dryer with curlformers installed. I will be under here for about 1.5 hours. Then I will let my hair cool. Then I need to take out the curlformers and put in flexi rods to try to hold my style. By doing my hair tonight hopefully I won't be rushing tomorrow.

LdyKamz

I'm making an appointment with a stylist and if she's any good I'll be going to her from now on. I don't plan to do much to my hair other than keeping it simple. Shampoo 1x a week and DC and cowash all the other times. I will only straighten at the salon so might go back to wnging it. My hair is much loser from straightening so they should work for now.

I'm still going to take all the vitamins and whatnot just for overall health and it should help with growth as well. Hopefully I still make SL this year.

GGsKin

I conditioned my hair blast night with a diluted mix of AOWC and KCKT. Then I clay washed with a mix of rhassoul and the two bentonite clays, water, milk, SAA and ACV.

Finished with the usual oils and gel. I've put the top in two braids and clipped it up in a banana clip.

I've managed to stay away from the scissors for two weeks. Good times.

faithVA

Dusted tonight and put my hair in 2 strand twist for a twist out tomorrow. Have no clue how it's going to work out.

LdyKamz

Ladies, I cannot figure out how to wear my hair. I cowashed 2 days in a row and my hair feels dry and the wash n go was good yesterday but today not so much. I think I'm ready to try the MHM method and add clay to my regimen. Especially since I don't want to do anything to my hair but wash n go. I want to do as little to my hair as possible. Max hydration will hopefully aid in retention and less tangles. I'm going to do a couple of searches and then go to the beauty supply store during my lunch hour for a few things.

Question though do you think straightening every few months has to stop with this method?

GGsKin

Ladies, I cannot figure out how to wear my hair. I cowashed 2 days in a row and my hair feels dry and the wash n go was good yesterday but today not so much. I think I'm ready to try the MHM method and add clay to my regimen. Especially since I don't want to do anything to my hair but wash n go. I want to do as little to my hair as possible. Max hydration will hopefully aid in retention and less tangles. I'm going to do a couple of searches and then go to the beauty supply store during my lunch hour for a few things.

Question though do you think straightening every few months has to stop with this method?

I don't think straightening has to stop. I just wouldn't go the original method of using baking soda. I don't really use BS in my routine anymore