Someone told me that protein supplements were....

Leshia

hard on the liver and kidneys. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Am I doing myself bodily harm by trying to strengthen my hair or what?

londongirl3

Well your liver is used to breakdown excess protein ( into sugar actually). I don't really know the risk of taking protein supplements but it would definitely have some effect on your liver. Your liver does regenerate itself though. (That said, regeneration is relative to damage).

For the kidneys, well the amino part of the protein is converted to urea. So the more protein you take, the harder your kidneys have to work to remove the urea.

I wouldn't take any supplements without consulting a doctor. You should read up also on the side effects as well. Don't read the manufacturers information unless it is a prescribed supplement. If it is not a prescribed supplement do your own research because the supplier has no obligation to list down the side effects.

carrie

Well, don't believe everything you are told. Londongirl explained how the kidney and liver process the protein. The key is to have healthy, well functioning organs. It is recommended that when you increase your protein intake, whether it be from whole food sources or supplements, you should also make sure ou drink plenty of water.

I personally take in 250-275g of protein a day /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I am waiting for someone to jump in and tell me that is too much. But its is just fine for my purposes. Along with that I take in about 1.5 gallons of water a day. I have had blood work done and enzymes checked. I am quite healthy. I also take milk thistle and cranberry to aid in healthy functioning of all systems.

Carrie

londongirl3

That is too much protein for the average person. You are a body builder though Carrie.........right? You convert that protein into muscle. The average person has no need for that much protein, it will be excreted because there is no use for it.

carrie

close londongirl, I am a fitness competitior. The average person does not need that much. However if they are trying to lose weight or "tone" (I hate that word" they will need more than the daily recommended, which I believe is less than 100g a day.

keylargo

carrie, i'm trying to gain weight. i have noticed that i gained a little weight recently and i believe it is from the anabolic liquid aminos that i'm taking. it's good weight because i walk alot so my legs look really toned.

in your opinion, how much protein should a person take to gain weight? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

carrie

Re: Someone told me that protein supplements were.

KeyLargo -

it is recommended that you ingest 1.5 times your lean bodyweight. But make sure you are weight training to add muscle, not fat to your frame.