Sour Milk smellin scalp

jujubelle

Hey all.

With this excessive heat I have not been able to style my hair in anything but a bun, which I have no problem with as it's helping with retention and not using heat. I'm a month + without using heat and straight bunning everyday.

Usually I will wet bun and keep it in for 2-3 days, take it down, then co-wash and then clarify once a week, and shampoo every 2 weeks. I have had to co-wash/rinse my hair more often because ever since a couple of months I sweat excessively, especially from my scalp. And when I wet bun, the middle will still be wet like 2 days later.

My issue now is that even when I co-wash and shampoo, my scalp still has this soury milk/sweat smell to it. I'll scratch my scalp and my hands will smell like that.:nono:

Anyone else ever experience this?

Pompous Blue

I don't have that problem, but if you want to continue to wear buns as a protective style, why don't you skip a couple of days of wearing the bun. And since clarifying does not seem to be working, why not "detoxify" your scalp by using bentonite clay or rhassoul clay. They both detoxify and exfoliate your scalp.

As a field-engineer some days I have to wear a hard-hat in this Florida heat and my scalp sweats something awful. I make it a point to give myself a bentonite clay or rhassoul clay mask every 1 - 2 weeks. (The mask consists of water and the clay. I mix it with an immersion blender for a few seconds until it becomes gel-like and apply it to my scalp/hair. I then massage for a couple of minutes and rinse it out)

HTH

Carrie A

You may need to dilute a little shampoo instead of just cowashing. Maybe you can braid the hair in four plats then put them in a bun to let the scalp breathe and dry out a bit. My hair smells like that in three days. Co washing didn't work for me.

jujubelle

thanks pompous and carrie. I will try and get the bentonite clay. I have the green clay that I use for my face masks...is this the same thing?

Pompous Blue

thanks pompous and carrie. I will try and get the bentonite clay. I have the green clay that I use for my face masks...is this the same thing?
I found this on fromnaturewithlove.com. All 3 draw toxins from the body.

French Green Clay consists mostly of montmorillonite and is highly efficient at drawing oils and toxins from the skin. French Green Clay is rich in important minerals and phyto-nutrients and is the most commonly used therapeutic clay. Use it for facials, and body wraps. French Green Clay can also be used in soaps (about 1 tablespoon per pound of soap) and body/foot powders.

Limit French Green Clay to 1 application per week. Do not use for sensitive or dry skin types.

Uses: Cosmetic/Medicinal. Suitable for Oily Skin/Hair

Bentonite Clay is a combination of montmorillonite and volcanic ash. Bentonite Clay is a highly absorbent clay that pulls oils and toxins from the skin and is one of the best clays for making clay poultices. It is best suited for oily skin. Bentonite Clay is also a good clay for shaving soaps (use about 1 tablespoon per pound of soap) and for use as an oily hair and scalp treatment.
Uses: Cosmetic/Medicinal. Suitable for Oily Skin/Hair

Moroccan Rhassoul Clay (also called Ghassoul) is a super fine ancient clay that comes from deep below the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. Although Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is difficult to obtain from the deep clay beds, it has been used for centuries by the ancient people of Rome and Egypt. Rhassoul ClayClay is rich in minerals such as Silica, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Potassium and Sodium. It helps detoxify the skin while it exfoliates gently. Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is used by the finest spas around the world.

Limit to 1 application per week. Do not use for sensitive or dry skin types. Uses: Suitable for Normal and Oily Skin/Hair Types

So, since you have the green clay, I would try it out.

Today, I added coffee oil to my rhassoul clay and water. I massaged for about 5 minutes and afterwards, let it stay on 10 minutes longer and rinsed it out.