Spin-off: What products did your mom use on your hair?

Lusa

That nasty hot comb she had to heat up on a brazier that burnt the crap out of my hair, and scalded my ears
Green Dax
Blue Magic
Sulphur 8
Colgate shampoo and conditioner and pretty much any other cheap drug store products.

And like most other women here my hair was long, and in pretty good shape. I just wish she hadn't taken me in for a perm, it was better natural but she had to fight to style it day after day.

anherica

Wella Balsam Shampoo
Neutrogena T-gel
bergamont hair grease
Perm Repair
Vaseline
Pink Oil Lotion

I had a dryness/dandruff issue going on. My hair wasn't super long, but it was/is super thick, and it was the bane of my mother's existence. I hated straightening comb day, my left ear always managed to get roasted.

sweetwhispers

Dax- The black one- cos i have dry scalp
Blue Magic
Indian Hair oil- anyone, usually Jasmine
Vaseline Hair Tonic
Any Shampoo, no conditioner
Occasionaly she would change products

bablou00

The whole bottle of Just for Me detangler because my hair was so hard to manage. Pink moisturizer when she would straighten my hair out....I hated that smell. Creme of Nature which I still use to this day from time to time.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I'm sad to say my mother only used shampoo and nothing else. My hair was washed about once a week. She brushed (yes) my hair daily.
That's all the hair care I got :lachen:

I forgot to say that she was extremely scissor happy so I never had long hair as a child, but it grew quickly. As soon as it reached my shoulders she would cut it :D She hated brushing out the tangles!

Last edited:

karezone

My hair was probably washed once a month, I don't remember that well. I know that my grandma used any kind of hair grease but never vaseline. My Mother used dax and 911 leave in conditioner the watery kind. The both loved to put some glovers in my hair. Can you imagine walking around in the middle of summer smelling like that.

LoVeMYLIfe

I remember getting my hair washed every Saturday night with some kind of el cheapo shampoo, then she would make a few big, what I now call princess Leah twists to dry, then take down and press. She would not let me get a relaxer. I ended up getting my cousin to put one in when I was like 15 years old(boy did I get in trouble :perplexed ).

Now I know why my hair use to be so thick and long though.:ohwell:

adw425

My Mom used Breck or Balsam shampoo. I don't remember her ever using a conditioner. She oiled my scalp and hair with Hair Rep (although she uses pretty top quality hair products now, there is still a little can of Hair Rep in my parent's house and always has been) or teal-colored Ultra Sheen hair grease. I had a really nice head of hair then -- before I got a relaxer at 14 when I was starting high school and had to take swimming once a week...thus beginning a very long roller coaster ride of hit and miss hair care until discovering LHCF.

pattycake0701

I have no clue what she used on my natural hair but when she relaxed it (I was six), she used the Gentle Treatment box relaxer and I think I got a touch up like every 6-8 weeks. Daily maintenence included Perm Repair cream on my pig tails and at night Blue Magic grease and the setting lotion that came wth the relaxer kit, a sponge roller and end paper every day to curl my bangs and I slept in a stocking cap (my old tights with the legs cut off). I think she used about a 1/2 inch after touch ups. I don't remember too many shampoo and deep conditioner treatments but I know she used to give me hot oil treatments and would blow dry my hair with a ton of grease. My hair did look very healthy, full and thick even though it was soooo greasy but my hair at its longest was probably an inch or so away from arm pit length.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Good thread.

My mom washed my hair maybe once a month if that much. I hated getting my hair washed and raised up quite a fuss. She washed it in the kitchen sink and my dad had to hold my ears closed because I couldn't stand getting water in them, lol. I still cant. She used any kind of cheap shampoo and condish....Suave, VO5, White Rain, or Flex (yall remember that one). After air drying she used some kind of cheapie grease like Ultra Sheen or Blue Magic or something. Occasionally I can remember her putting flat beer in my hair. I never had heat used on my hair except maybe for a special occasion like a wedding she would blow dry and press it lightly. It would always revert and I hated it. My hair was always braided and it was very long and fairly thick (my hair has never been extremely thick though).

isioma85

We used Dallas hair pomade, this weird blue (but lovely smelling) hair grease. And also AllWays Indian Hemp Pomade,Pink Oil Vaseline, and Loreen Petroleum Jelly (which was made by my momma's company :D).

ETA: Cornrows were mandatory for schools in Nigeria so we had our hair in cornrows every week, took the hair out on Friday afternoon, washed on Saturday, and put them back up Sunday night.

Last edited:

Max2004

My mom used Johnson and Johnson's shampoo every 2 wks. and dax grease for my scalp. I can't remember any conditioner. She shampooed my hair in the kitchen sink. She would put plats all over my head. She would let it airdry. This was on Saturday nights. She would press it on the 1st and 3rd Sunday morning for church. I would wear braid with beads until the next shampoo. I had thick long hair.

Dogmd

My Mom washed my hair with breck shampoo and greased it with Ultra sheen (blue one) and sulphur 8. I would get my hair washed in the kitchen sink and she would detangle it with the black comb and nothing else. You could hear me yelling down the street. They just kept saying that I was tender headed. Man... I use to hate wash days!!! But my hair was super thick and healthy. My mom was mad when I got a relaxer in college. She still has natural thick armpit length hair and still uses ultra sheen grease on her heair daily.

skoloco

Cheleigh said:
She used the blue-green Ultra Sheen grease (rarely the green, for some reason). That black rubber comb with the handle.

Me too! Definitely the Ultra Sheen. I still remember what it smelled like. I don't remember the shampoo; whatever was cheap probably. :lol:

glamazon386

I went to the salon most of the time. But when I wasn't in braids and just wearing my little girl plaits and ponytails she used:

Cream of Nature Shampoo
Let's Jam Styling Gel

I think that was it. She used to use Blue Magic when she first started using the Jam. But she said with the Jam she didn't really need it. I was relaxed though...

blackbarbie

camellia said:
Whatever shampoo and conditiioner was on sale. Loads of Vaseline. :look:

Same here, but I remember the Suave mostly. I got my hair pressed up until I was 18 y/o and about one week before I went off to college and it was just vaseline that she used to press it with.

tricie

Wow, I don't recall that much; I do remember my mom giving my dad the Blow Out Afro kit! :lachen:

Let't see; I think we used:
CON shampoo and conditioner
Pink Lotion (never knew it was so bad 'til I came up in here)
Lottabody for roller sets
some kinda grease
the dreaded hot comb (burnt ears and all)! :drunk:

Cute thread!

bettytoo

my mum use ultra sheen the blue one and dax.green one.before she got me a perm at 8 years old. she wash my hair with flex shampoo.i use to use ultra sheen when i went natural 12 .but i stopped using it .as it dries out your hair.its african pride for me.

AsTheCurlzTurns

It's been sooo long ago, only thing I can remember right now, was her using some Bergamot(sp?) green or blue hair grease and using a pressing comb after greasing my scalp. Also we all used shampoo and conditioner, but darn if I can remember the brand or kind.