What "Black" Hair Products do white folks use?

melodee

When I was in Sally's the other day, a white lady with very long but very tangled hair came in with a hurried look on her face. She asked the saleslady "where is your coconut oil"? I started wondering if Sally's really did sell natural coconut oil, as I had never seen it there before. The saleslady was stumped, "I don't know if we sell that". She said. Just then the tangled hair lady went toward the black hair care section and grabbed a container of what appeared to be GREASE off the shelf. "I found it", she exclaimed. Still curious (yes, I'm a nosey little LHCFer) I looked at what she was holding. It wasn't pure oil, but coconut oil pressing grease/hairdress, the kind with mostly petroleum. I had to say something.
I asked her if that product was really good. Shetold me it was a great conditioner. She showed me her very tangled, but long hair and said something like "you can see I need it". She then said a friend who presses her hair with it suggested she try it as a conditioner.

Do you guys know of white woman who use products marketed for black folks on their hair? And which products are those?

I know some fashion magsa few years ago used to suggest Murray's pomade. This was years after I remember my little brother using it with a wave cap.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
It's funny that you asked this... this question crossed my mind the other day! I wonder if whites use products marketed toward blacks too.

babyanjel

A friend of mine uses Pink Oil. She's been using it for years...it's funny cause I personally wouldn't touch the stuff.
Two other friends of mine use the Castor oil that my grandmother makes.

Also... if someone could explain this to me...
I have a friend @ work. and she's indian with a slight wave to her hair. She told me she was getting bored with her hair and figured that she'd relax it to make it curly. I was like "ummmm it'll make your hair straight I think" She was like no it won't I do it all the time and went over to the Health & Beauty section and bought a box of Dark n' Lovely box perm.
Anyway she came to work the next day and sure enough he hair was in the prettiest ringlets I've ever seen :eek:. And to maintain the curls she uses Hot 6 Oil.
Can someone pleeeease explain that to me?

ThickHair

I know a few white guys and one Dominican who uses grease to slick back their hair. I did get the Dominican guy to use Jam and he likes it better than the grease. He said that it washes out better. He had to use dishwashing liquid to get the grease out.

purpledove

A white co-worker told me she uses oil sheen. She didn't say what brand. Her hair is very thickand curly.

IrisDaVirus

I've known quite a few with curly hair use curl activators over the years. There's a white girl at my job right now who lives by the Care Free Curl Gold (the liquid one in the bottle).

Oh, and I've known plenty who relaxed their hair too. :yep:

Last edited:

SexySin985

babyanjel said:
A friend of mine uses Pink Oil. She's been using it for years...it's funny cause I personally wouldn't touch the stuff.
Two other friends of mine use the Castor oil that my grandmother makes.

Also... if someone could explain this to me...
I have a friend @ work. and she's indian with a slight wave to her hair. She told me she was getting bored with her hair and figured that she'd relax it to make it curly. I was like "ummmm it'll make your hair straight I think" She was like no it won't I do it all the time and went over to the Health & Beauty section and bought a box of Dark n' Lovely box perm.
Anyway she came to work the next day and sure enough he hair was in the prettiest ringlets I've ever seen :eek:. And to maintain the curls she uses Hot 6 Oil.
Can someone pleeeease explain that to me?

A perm makes your hair curly while a relaxer makes your hair straight.

macherieamour

I knew this Italian girl with really thick hair used olive oil as a pre-wash. A lot of Jewish and Arab girls at my high school used relaxers...I put some of my white friends onto Emergencee and deep conditioners. They were sooo happy:)

Cheleigh

I've heard of white and asian women using relaxers to relax their curly/thick hair.

A lot of the curlies on NC.com use "ethnic products" like ORS loc & twist, MHC type creams, Curls (for multi-racial women), Oyin, Qhemet products. Many also swear by CON shampoo. Some use black soap and unrefined shea butter.

babyanjel

SexySin985 said:
A perm makes your hair curly while a relaxer makes your hair straight.

uuuhh, I know. I meant a box relaxer. I have a habit of calling realxers, perms....sorry.

MizaniMami

I go to a pred. white forum and a lot of them use CON and Queen helens, oils, hot oil treatments, a lot of stuff really.

But me on the other hand I use stuff mainly marketed towards whites. Aveda, redken,dove,and other salon brands. I find that most "black brands" don't do nothing for me but weigh my hair down with oils and greases.

KhandiB

I *heart* Dove :love:

MizaniMami said:
I go to a pred. white forum and a lot of them use CON and Queen helens, oils, hot oil treatments, a lot of stuff really.

But me on the other hand I use stuff mainly marketed towards whites. Aveda, redken,dove,and other salon brands. I find that most "black brands" don't do nothing for me but weigh my hair down with oils and greases.

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i think the top 3products non blacks use are

1.oil sheen i have heard so many whites/ puerto ricans/ asians say its great for dry scalp (but not necessarily the hair)

2. relaxers most of the ones that i know of use it to text rather than relax bone straight

3. hot oil treatments

*ElleB

macherieamour said:
I knew this Italian girl with really thick hair used olive oil as a pre-wash. A lot of Jewish and Arab girls at my high school used relaxers...I put some of my white friends onto Emergencee and deep conditioners. They were sooo happy:)

Ummm, to my knowledge those aren't "black" prods...Except the relaxer, I guess

I was just in CVS looking at some products and this white lady walked up beside me and was looking at some Smooth 'N Shine products. She walked away with the Smooth 'N Shine 60 critical repair treatment. I was like :confused: I had never seen a white woman in that section of CVS before this thread was posted...lol

Lovelylocs

babyanjel said:
uuuhh, I know. I meant a box relaxer. I have a habit of calling realxers, perms....sorry.
It's okay. You're alright. I relaxer is a kind of perm. :yep:
Also, I am interested in how a box of dark and lovely made the Indian woman's hair curly too. I am going to go surf and see if I can come up with smthg. :confused:

Lovelylocs

Okay, on second thought, maybe she was lying. :lol: I can't find anything and it really doesnt make sense. She was probably trying to show off. :lol:

Faith

On the LHL site...this blonde woman with past waist length hair had in her siggy what she uses and she had CON shampoo and Africa's best ultimate herbal oil. Who knew...

Lovelylocs

It makes sense to me. The products marketed towards us should be moisturizing and women with really long hair need as much moisture as they can get for their ends. :yep: Plus, curly haired people can probably benefit from a lot of the products that make our hair thrive. I don't really think of hair as black and white anymore. I think of it in terms of straightness/curliness. Generally, black hair is extremely curly. :yep:

WaterMoccasin

I've definitely seen them checking out the "black section" before and they certainly didn't look like strangers to it.

I even heard one suggest pink oil to another.

It really is a matter of straight/curly/coarse/thin/thick etc. so I'm not really surprised they find products in "our section" that work for them and vice versa.

As for the relaxer making the Indian girl's hair curly- isn't the process reliant on rods? :confused:
Therefore, whether she uses the permanent curler or relaxer, isn't it the rods that determine the curl and the size of the curl? Because without them, hair would just relax...no?

sweetascocoa

i know a hispanic woman that uses pink oil on her curly hair. when i met my bf, he was using blue magic grease for his dry scalp which didnt help so i gave him my jojoba and castor oil.

i also know a few of them that use ORS products like the carrot and olive oil

erin558

my white friend uses ORS olive oil lotion, and relaxed and natural by pantene.

dyes her hair frequently and she says black products help

Kimberly

BahamaMama said:
As for the relaxer making the Indian girl's hair curly- isn't the process reliant on rods? :confused: Therefore, whether she uses the permanent curler or relaxer, isn't it the rods that determine the curl and the size of the curl? Because without them, hair would just relax...no?

I was thinking the same thing. The chemicals in both (curly perm or relaxer), I believe, are basically the same it's the treatment of the hair during (how much smoothing you do, etc) and afterwards that determines if it will be straight, curly, or somewhere in between. Right? I could be wrong.