(spinny spin) - Why WONT You Go Natural?

Whimsy

Just curious, for all who feel they wont ever stop texlaxing or relaxing to go back to their natural roots:

Why/Why not?
Have you gone natural before and decided it wasn't for you?

lunabelle

Honestly, I'm afraid i'll regret it. And I definitely don't want to BC. I don't have the head for short hair. I'm pretty good at managing my hair now but, the thought of having thicker, healthier hair is always a temptation. Who know maybe in a couple of years....:rolleyes:

KPH

House Head
I have tried twice but once my scalp gets tender I can't take it. I fell off the wagon last sunday and I'm disappointed in myself but the soreness was darn near unbearable.

TaurusAngel

Ease of styling. I like straight hair more and if i went natural, that would definitely be a chore for me. I was natural until 15 and i don't regret relaxing it. I'm just able to handle my hair better relaxed as opposed to natural.

Whimsy

I have tried twice but once my scalp gets tender I can't take it. I fell off the wagon last sunday and I'm disappointed in myself but the soreness was darn near unbearable.

soreness? what do you mean?
Your scalp?

morehairplease

Honestly, I'm afraid i'll regret it. And I definitely don't want to BC. I don't have the head for short hair. I'm pretty good at managing my hair now but, the thought of having thicker, healthier hair is always a temptation. Who know maybe in a couple of years....:rolleyes:

hey there sweetie,

is that you in your avatar pic? Your hair is gorgeous!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I'll never say never, but based on how I feel currently I won't go natural because:

*I don't want to cut my hair
*I prefer the straight hair look for myself
*It takes a lot of (admirable) work to be natural
*I like my style options better with relaxed hair

20Pearls_Girl

I am natural now because of a HUGE mishap at a salon. I was afraid to go back to a relaxer but frankly my hair is too thick, dense, coily and it takes too much time for me to style. I think being natural limits my styling options and not a good look for me overall. Caring for it has been too much of a task. I will be relaxing again in a couple of weeks. I won't go bone staight though. I probably won't ever go back natural again, it's too much work and very limiting for me.

Keshieshimmer

I'll never say never, but based on how I feel currently I won't go natural because:

I think that this sums up my feelings as well.

prospurr4

Just curious, for all who feel they wont ever stop texlaxing or relaxing to go back to their natural roots:

Why/Why not?

I have been natural (for over 20 years), relaxed, and now I'm texlaxed. I prefer the thickness, managability and versatility of my texlaxed tresses. :grin:

indefinite

I've tried to transition twice. I can't do a thing with my natural hair, it's just too much work, especially since I sweat in the gym a lot.

hunnybunny81

Ditto.:yep:

sylver2

i am finally just being able to master my relaxed hair. i'm enjoying that right now. i also like that i can acheive natural looks while being relaxed as well. my hair is thriving.
no reason for me to try and go natural right now and start the struggle to master all over again.

TaurusAngel

i am finally just being able to master my relaxed hair. i'm enjoying that right now. i also like that i can acheive natural looks while being relaxed as well. my hair is thriving.
no reason for me to try and go natural right now and start the struggle to master all over again.

Agreed. :yep::yep:

atlien11

Im not even going to lie, my hair is NOT manageable even when i stretch. I think i would get frustrated trying to detangle and style it and end up hacking it off or relaxing in the end.

Too much mainteance, its just not for me :look:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

:yep: :yep: :yep: - same for me.

I have thought about going natural because my hair would look and feel thicker, but everytime I think I want to do it, I think back to when I was natural and my "curls" are not cute. I would look a hot mess most everyday.

MAMATO

Ditto

++++

I didn't have a relaxer at 7 yrs old like some women on the board. I got the first one at 18 yrs old, so I really had the time to learn what managing natural hair involves. My daddy was against relaxers (he was all on the "back to the roots" ideology:lachen:...over my head :spinning:) , so one of the first things I did when I became an adult was to put a relaxer on my head. Well, that was a life changing experience for me. No more pain, no more time spending on trying to detangle my thick hair, no more hair all over my bathroom, I prefer them on my scalp.

Not all natural hair is like that, my sisters never encountered such difficulties, but unfortunately I had to deal with them. I never had any problems with relaxers, my relaxed head is even better than my natural hair. But you know, it was like 15 years ago, so if I was to become natural now, I am sure It'll be less pain for me cause there are way more good products available now for that kind of issues. But, since my hair is going fine now, I don't feel I need to change what works for me.

ladylibra

Ditto

++++

I didn't have a relaxer at 7 yrs old like some women on the board. I got the first one at 18 yrs old, so I really had the time to learn what managing natural hair involves. My daddy was against relaxers (he was all on the "back to the roots" ideology:lachen:...over my head :spinning:) , so one of the first things I did when I became an adult was to put a relaxer on my head. Well, that was a life changing experience for me. No more pain, no more time spending on trying to detangle my thick hair, no more hair all over my bathroom, I prefer them on my scalp.

Not all natural hair is like that, my sisters never encountered such difficulties, but unfortunately I had to deal with them. I never had any problems with relaxers, my relaxed head is even better than my natural hair. But you know, it was like 15 years ago, so if I was to become natural now, I am sure It'll be less pain for me cause there are way more good products available now for that kind of issues. But, since my hair is going fine now, I don't feel I need to change what works for me.

ironic how that works... your dad stressed natural hair and so you relaxed it. my mom stressed long straight hair and so i cut it all off and went natural. :drunk:

Everything Zen

I won't even think of going natural until I reach my hair goals and then without a BC. I got my first perm when I was 18 and before that grew up with the hard press. Of course I didn't have the LHCF back then but there were a couple of times when I would try to press my hair myself and I would just end up in tears with nappy hair and a lot of burn marks. My hair takes to perms very well and I like the ease of managing it in this state. I love the super straight look and the variety of styles that it can provide. I've always had healthy hair except for college with bad water and a bad stylist who overprocessed my hair and made it start to thin and break due to a botched Aphogee treatment (she was very nice though in her defense) but that was 3 years ago when I finally started looking at info online like C&G and now my hair is better and longer than ever!

LivingDoll

Having texlaxed hair is the best of both worlds. I can wear my hair in a curly wash n' go, let it airdry into a soft wavy fro or style it straight. I love the body and the volume that I have and the versatility that being texlaxed offers. I wouldn't go in either direction (natural or bone straight) for that reason. While many women are beautiful with their natural hair, I never desired it for myself...texlaxed is close enough for me.

MizAvalon

I was natural for 4 years in my 20's.

The biggest thing for me is the transistion and growing out period. At this time, I'm just not at the point where I would be able to handle all of the time and patience it would take to do that again. A BC is out of the question for me so that would require several years of transistioning. That is incredibly draining and I just don't have it in me right now.

If I could wake up tomorrow and have my current length but natural? I would do it in a flash.

shinyblackhair

I am in agreement with what Supergirl stated. That is not to say that at some point down the line, I won't go natural, but for now, relaxed hair is what is right for me. :)

chebaby

i was transitioning but that will all end tomorrow. i was stretching for 7 months and didnt have a problem at all until last week when i realized that my natural hair must have been shedding and getting tangle around the relaxed ends because i started getting little knots, which was odd because i wear my hair straight everyday and i comb everyday.

HollyGolightly1982

I bc'd in high school and wore my hair natural for five years. It seemed to take a LOT more work than my telaxed hair. I was contemplating going back to natural but I changed my mind.

DonnaDi31Proverbi

I BC'd in December 2006. I stayed natural for a year and a half and LOVED my hair. I thought I had made a permanent decision, but I just kind of missed having long hair, so I texlaxed it. Now I miss my natural, but I'm not cutting anymore until I'm at least past BSL. I know I want to be natural again, and hopefully permanently, I just don't know when. I will definitely transition longer next time though.

sunshinebeautiful

Why/Why not?

Yep, this is me. I was natural for 2 years. It was great. Sometimes I miss my twistouts but I'm EXTREMELY happy with my texlaxed hair. If I do go natural again, I'm definitely locking.

CenteredGirl

Thanks for that shout out. As a natural, I appreciate it Supergirl.:grin: