How Many Times Have You Tried to Go Natural?

How Many Times Have You Tried Going Natural?

• This is my second time and it's working better this time.

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • This is my second time and I still can't get it right!

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • This is my third (or more) time and I finally got it right!

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • This is my third (or more) time and I give up!

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stormy

Thanks ladies! And to you first timers I commend you for being able to last so long!!!

Sorry Krisalexs! I kept seeing so many around the board talk about their second, third, fourth time and so on till I completely forgot to put an option for the "first" time! LOL!
Good point. Thanks!

kd79

this is my 3rd go round. 3rd times a charm right?!:look: Well the first there was a lack of knowledge; 2nd time around i was frustrated with it tangling all the time; this time around i feel better and confident that i will remain natural, and maybe just play around with the different lengths:grin:

Ltown

Greyland
I've tried 4 times always bc, then when I joined LHCF in 2008 I read about long term transitioning and I was sold. I gradually snip my hair throughout my transition and Jan 2010 was the start of being natural.

Bublin

2nd time.

When i was natural first time round my sole aim was to have that curly mixed raced hair look.....FAIL FAIL FAIL. My hair was a mess. I didn't have a clue.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I've broken the poll. 9 times.:look: I believe it is due to BCing to short hair and giving up.:ohwell: I love natural hair. I just don't know if I have it in me to ever be able to be successful with natural hair. It makes me kind of sad to type it.:nono:

Bublin

Don't beat youself up DD. Just do you. Don't feel pressured by Hair Boards or anyone else (if that is what you are feeling). Why not aim for long relaxed hair.

We all have different reasons for going natural - not just length.

I for one am going natural because relaxers wreck my scalp, other than that my hair was doing OK.

Lynnerie

I've only gone natural once but have claimed I'm transitioning at least 5-6 times. I would transition for so long and then end up relaxing I would feel so defeated.

Finally in 2008 I decided I would transition and go through with the BC once and for all. I haven't looked back yet.

Some things that were hard for me was believing I would reach my goal of mid-back faster with relaxed hair because it was already APL so why chop now.

-Having the self confidence to accept my hair texture and how I would look with short hair.

-Wondering whether I would be able to have healthy natural hair.

Being on LHCF,naturally curly, and prayer helped me so much to accept myself and I discovered that I look way better with natural hair and my hair did not stay short for long- the TWA phase was brief.

For all those who are struggling with going natural I suggest to look at the pros of it. Plus, if you've been struggling to reach your goal relaxed thats probably a sign...

naturalgyrl5199

The first time I tried to go natural I was using the wrong products (joico which was protein bssed) and could not put a comb thru my newgrowth during my transition, so I relaxed until I could do more research.

The second time was a breeze and I never looked back. This was 8 years ago.

Oh man...I used Joico the whole transition, and the 1st year after my BC! I love the stuff! Made my hair strong! Still use it when I need a mild protein....:ohwell:

me-T

preparing for my third time. i'm realizing natural hair suits me, and it's better on the debit card lol.

me-T

this is my 3rd go round. 3rd times a charm right?!:look: Well the first there was a lack of knowledge; 2nd time around i was frustrated with it tangling all the time; this time around i feel better and confident that i will remain natural, and maybe just play around with the different lengths:grin:
this sounds a lot like me!

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
The first and last time :yep: My hair is fuller and stronger without the chemicals so I don't feel the need to to have lifeless, dull dry hair again!

Krymsonkween

3rd time. My problem came from wanting the BAA from and trying to get my twa big. I looked at big fro's and would just cry. My dh did not help any. I would try to comb or pic daily and my hair would shed. I would have all these little tiny circles of black hair eveywhere.

I would blow dry daily. I could not do anything with my hair. Now this time I have learned to embrace and love my curls. I don't comb or use a blow dryer. I just let my hair be.

I hav also jumped off the pj train. For me that was the worse. Anything any1 said worked for them I ran to the store.

I have also realized my hair does not like bleach!:wallbash:

Krymsonkween

Also it is hard going with that nbetween stage. Not long enough to do anything and not short enough either. I am gonna braid in a month just so I want get frustrated again.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
This is the first time. I been natural overall about a 2 years but was still perming the front for the weave....til it dropped out. Now the front is shorter than the back but its growing back nicely. Sometimes i wanna perm it to make it easier and then i watch pics of y bald spots...yeah not so pretty. I use a lot of wigs and weaves because me and chemicals we really don't get along. So here I am. Learning new stuff everyday. Cant wait for the day when my hair grows out and I can cut it evenly.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Don't beat youself up DD. Just do you. Don't feel pressured by Hair Boards or anyone else (if that is what you are feeling). Why not aim for long relaxed hair.

We all have different reasons for going natural - not just length.

I for one am going natural because relaxers wreck my scalp, other than that my hair was doing OK.

I don't feel bad. It's just a goal I'd like to meet and stay at. One day, I'll get there.:yep:

Netta1

One time and one time only. I have been natural and documented my journey for going on 7 years october 2010.

Stormy

Well, it's been nearly a year since I created this thread and guess what? I'm about to go natural AGAIN! Uuugh! I tried texturizing while my hair was super short, then texlaxing as it got longer and ended up right back relaxed. Everything was going well until I went to the salon. I went to my old stylist and told her I just wanted it texlaxed. As my hair was getting longer and thicker I was afraid I would miss areas trying to do it myself. The first time she didn't get it even, so she left it on longer the next time. Lo and behold my hair was bone straight! Started breaking, shedding and I had itchy scalp. I have all these thin spots in my hair! She kept me coming back for treatments and all this, meanwhile not admitting that it was over processed. Finally I started doing protein treatments and adding more moisture. The breakage, shedding and all that stopped immediately! But... even though my hair is doing much better now I'm doing another BC after the 4th of July holiday.

Never again! I miss my natural hair. SSKs and all. LOL! I think I can handle it now.

Whew! I had to vent yall.

Shinka

Wow, I done it maybe 7-8 times since 2002 (maybe closer to 9ish). The longest natural about a year, then fully premed for about 10-12 months. Going from 5-6 inches of hair to a ceasar each time.

Why? Most times my natural hair had no problems, I just got tired of natural hair options during those in between phases (twist, fros, etc) and didn't feel attractive. I hated waking up to my hair being flat on side or having to wet so it will look presentable. Braids take my edges out...so I can't use that as a "rest" option.

I love my relax hair because I love rollersets and curls. Inlike classic looks I feel relaxed hair looks neater to me. once I started using lye based perms, my hair flourished. I know my relax hair regimen down pack to keep my relax hair looking good.

Problems start after self-relaxing and usually I make a mistake and overprocess etc. I don't like paying others to do my hair. When i livednear my sister in law,licensed beautician, she relaxed it for free, I loved it and my was beautiful. ( I styled, she relaxed every 10-12 weeks).

In general, I dont like the unpredictability of Relaxers. The last time a stylist relaxed my hair in Jan 2011, which led to my scalp being irritated for like 2 months until I bc'ed, despite acv rinses, clarifying etc...

After that experience, I simply asked myself "why do I keep doing this to myself?" I just bc'ed. Now I make an effort each day to redefine my standard of beauty. I still deal with issues list in 1st paragraph, bu have put less emphasis on them. I still admire long relaxed hair... I just appreciate relaxed heads from afar. Also I work out consistently since I don't use my hair as an excuse. Nice perk)

I think this time I may attempt to loc in the fall and, if not, I just want it long enough to press it when I desire.

Hair is just becoming less important and I dont feel the need to "do it"anymore. I am rocking a wash & go twa. My hair has about an inch or so of growth after 3 months.

I colored it an auburn color for summer...needed some novelty. This time I think I'm in it for the long haul.

Sha76

I'm about to start
My fourth time. The last few times because I wanted to. This time because I may have developed an allergy to part if nor all of the relaxing process

SingBrina

Once! I'll try again perhaps when ny hair hits MBL, my hair was a lot fuller and healthier!

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100