How Many Times Have You Tried to Go Natural?

How Many Times Have You Tried Going Natural?

• This is my second time and it's working better this time.

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • This is my second time and I still can't get it right!

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • This is my third (or more) time and I finally got it right!

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • This is my third (or more) time and I give up!

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stormy

I'm just curious because I see there are several ladies on their second or third time at least. Me, I'm texturized right now which seems to be a happy medium (for now). :grin: If I ever go natural again (it would be my second time) I think I'll do better since I know what my natural hair likes and doesn't like. If you're on your second, third, fourth or whatever time please share your experiences. Like, what made you go back to relaxing, texlaxing or texturizing? And what made you go back to natural? What have you learned works for you, etc...

I guess I'm trying to see how many times on average it takes some of us to get to a comfort zone.

Last edited:

SimJam

this is my 3rd and last time going natural (ie: Im not relaxing again)

try #1 1999 - I just BC'd (ceaser cut) because I was going to Fl for school and I was always curious abt going natural and I figured no one wud know me anyways so why not LOL. lasted abt 2 years, then I relaxed after it got to be too much for me to handle ... I did myhair myself for the most part.

try #2 after having my hair relaxed for abt 1 year, I BC'd again 2002 (ceaser cut) this time I lasted for another 2 years, then relaxed again in 2004.

then this time nov 2009 - I know this will be the last time because now I know how to manage my hair, I only relaxed the other times b/c my hair just overcame ne and I didnt know what to do with it.

with all the knowledge of my hair and haircare I'm positive this will be the last time 'cause it will be smooth sailing

13StepsAhead

This is my 2nd time. the 1st time I was a freshman in college and 13hrs away from my stylist and decided I would just go natural via heat :nono: :nono: My hair broke off terribly and I decided to relax it when I went home for the summer and get my hair back to its normal health. This time its going way better and I attribute that to finding LHCF.

lilliz6

The first time I tried was freshmen in college. I lasted for about 6 months. I tried again my sophomore year and that lasted about 9 months. I then decided it would be the last time May 2008 when I graduated from college. I have now been natural for 2 years. I will never turn back to relaxers because I love the fullness of my natural hair.

Last edited:

lilliz6

I had issues maintaining my natural hair bc I went to school in Florida, the worst humidity ever. I wasn't used to working with my natural curl and I always wanted to wear my hair flatironed. It's much easier to be natural with hair care boards in my opinion.

Stormy

Thanks for responding ladies. I see there are different types of hair too and different reasons. So, it's not like just one type has problems with getting used to natural hair or handling it.

Keep 'em coming.

Sianna

This is my second and last time!

The first time was last year actually. :look: For YEARS, I had wanted to cut all my hair off and start all over again with a fresh, brand new head of healthy hair! Last year I finally did it. I ordered a full lace wig online and the day it came, I shaved all my hair off and donned the wig.

My hair has been short all my life and my thinking was that going natural would automatically mean that it would be healthy and strong. :rolleyes: I had no idea I needed to moisturize, condition, or even wash regularly. I didn't have a clue! The idea was that I would let my hair be natural and perfectly healthy for about a year, then I would relax it again. 'Surely,' I had foolishly believed, 'It'll do better this time, what with this fresh healthy new virgin hair! It's gonna be great!'

Sadly, I relapsed... er, relaxed again after just a few short months! :lachen:

My hair did fine for a little while, but unsurprisingly, when the winter came again, my hair broke off again. I now realize that this probably happened due to a horrendous lack of moisture! Anyway, I was actually looking online for another wig when, completely by chance I came across something that made me seriously consider why I spent so many years relaxing my hair. I thought it over for a few days and finally decided call it quits! I chopped my hair down to about half an inch and here I am, six months later and with no plans to ever relax my hair again!

I have mentioned that I might texlax in the future, but now I don't think I'll even do that! If, IF I ever feel that I want to loosen my curl pattern, (never want bone straight hair again!) I'll try yogurt or something! :yep:

BostonMaria

I tried on and off for maybe 10 years. I'd try at least once a year and 4 months was the most I could do. I had a hard time at first because I couldn't figure out what styles to do or how to make my hair not look a hot a** mess. I was also young, single and not confident enough.

In 2007 I found help through the naturallycurly website and was able to successfully transition after 10 months. I never yell at others who say they can't do it. At some point you'll have your A Ha moment and do it. Transitioning is not for the faint of heart.

Haven't relaxed my hair since Nov 2006!

LadyRaider

In 2007 I found help through the naturallycurly website and was able to successfully transition after 10 months. I never yell at others who say they can't do it. At some point you'll have your A Ha moment and do it. Transitioning is not for the faint of heart.

I think you have to be in the right environment. I honestly think that if I'd been on THIS board and not another one in April of 2009, I would not have relaxed then.

Stormy

Hmmm... from the poll it looks like most people are getting it right at least the second time around. That's good!

Stormy

I tried on and off for maybe 10 years. I'd try at least once a year and 4 months was the most I could do. I had a hard time at first because I couldn't figure out what styles to do or how to make my hair not look a hot a** mess. I was also young, single and not confident enough.

Wow! 10 years. And I just looooove your hair. And to think it's ALL natural. You're so blessed. :yep:

Stormy

This is my second and last time!

The first time was last year actually. :look: For YEARS, I had wanted to cut all my hair off and start all over again with a fresh, brand new head of healthy hair! Last year I finally did it. I ordered a full lace wig online and the day it came, I shaved all my hair off and donned the wig.

My hair has been short all my life and my thinking was that going natural would automatically mean that it would be healthy and strong. :rolleyes: I had no idea I needed to moisturize, condition, or even wash regularly. I didn't have a clue! The idea was that I would let my hair be natural and perfectly healthy for about a year, then I would relax it again. 'Surely,' I had foolishly believed, 'It'll do better this time, what with this fresh healthy new virgin hair! It's gonna be great!'

Sadly, I relapsed... er, relaxed again after just a few short months! :lachen:

My hair did fine for a little while, but unsurprisingly, when the winter came again, my hair broke off again. I now realize that this probably happened due to a horrendous lack of moisture! Anyway, I was actually looking online for another wig when, completely by chance I came across something that made me seriously consider why I spent so many years relaxing my hair. I thought it over for a few days and finally decided call it quits! I chopped my hair down to about half an inch and here I am, six months later and with no plans to ever relax my hair again!

I have mentioned that I might texlax in the future, but now I don't think I'll even do that! If, IF I ever feel that I want to loosen my curl pattern, (never want bone straight hair again!) I'll try yogurt or something! :yep:

Talk about trial and error huh? I like your how your hair seems very versatile. Your curls really pop in your siggy.

Neek-a-Nator

I BC in April 2010, this is my THIRD time, lol. I relaxed the other 2 times because my hair would get so long and thick I would get overwhelmed. I now know what my hair needs so I'm sure there will be no more relaxers touching this head. Besides for ME it took me to finally figure out after I relaxed the 2nd time my hair simply does not thrive with relaxers.

gimbap

The first time I tried to go natural was October 2004. That lasted about 2 months. The second time was June 2008. I was doing good until I met a new guy and wanted to look cute. That lasted 3 months. The 3rd and last time was November 2008, I finally threw out all my relaxers, wore a bun for the first 3 months, sew-ins for 5 months, and BCed after 8 1/2 months in July 2009. Been natural for a year and I'm NEVER going back!

UrbainChic

I've BC'd three times, but I don't see it as me trying to go natural.

I've been natural the majority of my life , 88% to be exact (yes I actually calculated). So I just can't say I've tried being natural with those BCs, since in my life natural has just been the default setting.

This last time was my final time though because I think I have fully explored relaxed hair and its just not for me, and besides I miss having long hair.

OhSoOthentik

This is my second time. I did a bc back in 2005. I was trying to start locing and my stylist told me I couldnt loc my hair because it was just curling up and not actually locing. So I stayed natural for a few months but I didn't know much about taking care of my natural texture and all the different styles available to me. I got tired of wearing two strand twists so I went back to relaxing. this time around I am much more educated and comfortable.

KrystalClear

This is my second and last time. I would have already been 3 years natural if I had not caved the first time. Here we go again. And I'm in it for good :)

Fine 4s

Not exactly answering the question but...
1st and last for me...since 1995.

Last edited:

discodumpling

1 time! I've been happily natural since April 1st 2007. I see no need to EVER go back to a relaxer as I have the tools & the knowledge to make my hair do whatever I need it to do!

Missjae09

I'm not completely natural but this was my 2nd attempt.. the first time I only last 3 months. I think being unemployed when I initially started helped because I had time on my hands to play with and experiment with my hair.. Its the only good think that came out of being unemployed! :ohwell:

BostonMaria

I think you have to be in the right environment. I honestly think that if I'd been on THIS board and not another one in April of 2009, I would not have relaxed then.

When I first wanted to go natural back in the late 90's there were absolutely no forums, blogs, online magazines for transitioners. I would check every once in a while until I found one back in 2006. You really need the support of others in order to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Wow! 10 years. And I just looooove your hair. And to think it's ALL natural. You're so blessed. :yep:

Thank you Stormy!!! I always loved my natural hair - well from what I could remember back when I was a child - so I knew it was just a matter of sacrificing at least 2 years of my noggin :grin: I can only compare it to working really hard to lose weight and then being at a point where you're an athlete... except its hair LOL

brucebettye

I have been natural once for about a year. I just was hiding my hair and was not going to perm it until I knew how to take care of it. I may be going natural again soon since I have not permed my hair since Nov 2009. I have better knowledge of how to take care of my natural hair since I joined LHCF. But I will do a long transisiton since I can stretch my perms for over 6 months.