Spinoff: Ask a WSL and Beyond Lady

Lucia

Spinoff from the WSL reggie thread, Thanks for the idea Carrie A her original post http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=6647035&postcount=189 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=321851&page=10 1st page: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=321851 ----------------------

Post your questions about reggies, styling, products, etc... and someone will answer.
So ask away ladies.... Any WSL and beyond lady can answer questions TIA ETA: please read through the thread 1st so not to repeat questions. If you're new to this thread answering please answer these questions.
1. If you get them: How do you deal with tangles, matting, SSK (single strand knots) dry hair, itchy scalp?
2. How often do you trim, dust or S&D the knots and SSK's only when you need?
3. What are your staple products and how do you use them?
4. Do you still do wash n go's, what products do you use to get your WnG look?
5. What's your straight/stretched length now front and back of hair? And what's you goal length or how long will you let your hair grow? 6. Has your hair ever been this long before?
Eta: how many times have you cut back or had a setback and grown to waist again?
7. For naturals: What do you say to naturals who are getting discouraged and ready to give up on being natural and go back on the creamy crack (relaxers/perms/texturizers)?
ETA: 8. For relaxed ladies, what should other relaxed-heads add to their regimens to help them attain and retain longer lengths?
ETA 9. What's your go to style or PS? braidouts twists wng buns etc.

Last edited:

Lucia

Are you trying to grow your hair longer than WL?

Yes, my new goal is HL. I was going to stop @ WSL but that hair anorexia got the best of me, that and shrinkage. It's only APL curly now, I want at least top-BSL curly/HL straight-my guesstimate. Once I get HL straight, I'm just going to maintain with my reggie, trims, and go for full HL and thick more even ends.

NaturalPath

If natural: by how much has your texture/curls loosened, if you started out with wayy shorter hair?

Last edited:

Fhrizzball

If you're natural what length is your hair in it's curly state and when did it start growing downwards instead of outwards? Also at what length did your hair get to SL in it's curly state?

How often do you trim?

LoveLongLocks

If you're natural what length is your hair in it's curly state and when did it start growing downwards instead of outwards? Also at what length did your hair get to SL in it's curly state?

How often do you trim?

My hair is natural, and in its curly state it is at bsl. I noticed that at about SL it would weigh down, or fall downwards. As for SL, I believe at about APL straight.
I trim approx. 2-3 months.

jupitermoon

Are you trying to grow your hair longer than WL?

I would like for my hair to grow as long as possible.

what is your favorite ps and how often do you dc?

Ps=Protective style? Buns. I don't really dc, because I co wash and leave conditioner in so often.

what are your staple products?

Lately, EVOO and Giovanni conditioners.

How often do you trim?

My length curly is about bra strap--slightly above or below depending on factors such as the weather or whether it's been stretched by bunning, etc. My hair has always grown down and out.

I started with below shoulder length natural hair after my transition. It was a little below bra strap stretched.

I trim once or twice a year as needed---I get about a total 1-4 inches taken off within a years time.

ETA:

What has been your shortest length?

Shoulder length straightened/relaxed which I guess would be above shoulder length for me in its natural state... :perplexed

Last edited:

Lucia

Tinkerbell19 said:

It was mostly braided under a weave, buns. I try to DC weekly but it's more like every 2-3 weeks. I always DC before and after straightening.

southerncitygirl said:

Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner, Coconut oil, EVOO, coconut creme, and I have alternates in case I can't find these. I don't stock up just have the ones I need. I have details in my fotki.

Kusare said:
How often do you trim?

It's around APL, it didn't start growing down until SL but I still need products. I S&D mostly, trim when I need it, my hair is very uneven but that's OK it's healthy.

amwcah said:

When I got to the boards it was almost shoulder length

Well before I found the boards it was similar to this:

http://worldhairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/HLIC/2efacfab07de9175c3ec87f6d7de83fe.jpg

eurka007

What process do you use to seal in moisture?? And is the EVOO you use, the type that you can buy in the grocery story? How much do you use it, and how often?

Sorry for so many questions, but Im new at this and any advice can help?

Lucia

What process do you use to seal in moisture?? And is the EVOO you use, the type that you can buy in the grocery story? How much do you use it, and how often?

Sorry for so many questions, but Im new at this and any advice can help?

My #1 fav is EVCO=extra virgin coconut oil <---BEST.OIL.EVER!!!
I also use EVOO if I can't find coconut oil it's my alternate staple. Most times I use them together for pre-poo under heat cap. Yes, I use cooking grade oils that you get @ the grocery store or I order EVCO online-it never goes bad almost.
I use 2 methods:
Straight: I use a little bit of conditioner and coconut oil on the length esp. ends. Just enough to put a slight shine on my hair. I'll do this every night or every other night.

Curly: While it's still damp I load it up with lots of conditioner, and lots of oil from root to ends. Then I put it up in a bun, or braid. I'll do this weekly or every 3 days if it's hot outside.
Most of my products (I don't have alot) are cheap and work for me, and mostly easy to find.
My fotki has my product list and details.hth

Last edited:

Lucia

wheezy807 said:
How often do you wear your hair down/out?
How do you wash your hair? In the shower? In plaits?

Well I haven't been wearing my hair out these past months, but I plan on alternating 60/40 up and down styles. I wash my hair in the tub it's in 2 sections, that are clipped up and I do each section with the hair loose, co-wash, detangle, then condition. I don't do all my hair together unless I'm washing it while I'm showering. hth

Last edited:

LoveLongLocks

-sorry for so many posts, but I don't know how to put all of the quotes in one post? (open for help on how):sad:

Currently it is under a partial sew in for a protective style, since I am not really a "bunning" type of chic- and like to wear my hair out.:nono:

When not in weaves, ect - I wear my hair down mostly, unless I am working out...or if it will be in the way. However I moisturize often when I do - atleast 2 to 3 times daily. :yep:

LoveLongLocks

I plait. Unless my hair is a "unplaitable" at that time = too much product. My hair will tend to be too sticky or have lots or build up. So, I have to rinse and finger comb, then plait - in the shower. If all is well I plait and wash in the sink.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time

What does ps mean? Sorry, I should hang out on the hair board more often :D
I never deep condition :blush: I try to make sure my hair is moisturized all the time.

If natural: by how much has your texture/curls loosened, if you started out with wayy shorter hair?

My curls are more or less the same, I think. Maybe a tad bit looser. :scratchch

My staple products are Sunsilk conditioner and shampoo. I think we have another version of them over here, but any conditioner that gives "slip" is great, regardless of price or brand! :)

How often do you trim?

My hair is waist length in it's curly state or perhaps a little bit longer. It started hanging down at around shoulder length.

It was shoulder length, curly, when it was around APL straight I think.

I trim maybe once a year, at the most. That's one of the keys to growth - make sure your hair's ends don't split so that you don't have to trim :D

I cut my hair Halle Berry short once. Like 1-2 inches. I cut away a perm that I didn't like. I didn't even know I was "big chopping" :lol:

This spring and summer I'll wear it down almost every day because I'm on the hunt for a new man :lachen: If I was hooked up, I would wear it down once or twice a week.

Yes, I wash my hair in the shower, no plaits. I saturate my hair with conditioner and then detangle with my fingers or (recently) with a wide tooth comb.

JinaRicci

Did you have long hair before or is this the first time getting to this length? If so, what do you think you did differently? Thanks.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Did you have long hair before or is this the first time getting to this length? If so, what do you think you did differently? Thanks.

This is the first time my hair is this long. When I came to this board I stopped coloring my hair all willy nilly and I stopped using heat and the rest took care of itself.

PS = buns

Wow I had no idea! Ps equals buns!

My favorite bun is just a regular twisty bun - I twist and twist in a circle and tuck the ends under and fasten with a pelican clip. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/picture.php?albumid=3608&pictureid=21726