SPINOFF: Anyone cowashing + twisting their way to WSL?

loolalooh

This is a spinoff from the cowashing + bunning to WSL thread.

I can't bun on the daily because I have 1,000,000 % shrinkage when wet :yep: and my edges will take a real beating from the tension :sad:. Instead, I keep my hair in twists and I've upped my co-washing. For now, I'm just co-washing 1-2x a week. I'll up it to every other day or daily after my next set of twists.

Is anyone else cowashing + twisting their way WSL ... or to their length goal?

oooop2

If my hair is in larger twist, I cowash every other day and just retwist in the shower. I tend to do this more in the summer....

msa

I would if my twists were cute, but they're not. My hair doesn't have a lot of bulk so my twists co e out thin and scraggly instead of thick and fluffy. That does seem like the perfect retention regimen though.

loolalooh

I would if my twists were cute, but they're not. My hair doesn't have a lot of bulk so my twists co e out thin and scraggly instead of thick and fluffy.

LOL... I'm sure your twists are cute. Maybe co-washing will plump them up?

That does seem like the perfect retention regimen though.

That's what I hoping for!

Ronnieaj

I'm trying to!! I can't wear my hair in twists all the time, but I do 5 days/week. I'm lurking in the twisting for growth challenge--I wasn't a member on the March 15 deadline!! Right now I'm having pretty good success; it's just a matter of keepin on.

bemajor

I tried this for about a week (last week) and got frustrated because messing with my twists in the shower just made them fuzzy and harder to loose out when dry (almost like they started to lock)

I guess I needed to moisturize them more?

How often do you guys co-wash? And do you moisturize as well?

I want to try this again.

loolalooh

I'm trying to!! I can't wear my hair in twists all the time, but I do 5 days/week. I'm lurking in the twisting for growth challenge--I wasn't a member on the March 15 deadline!! Right now I'm having pretty good success; it's just a matter of keepin on.

I used to do the same thing. Hang it there!

I'm eyeing the twist for growth challenge too ... excited for the the next one to start so I can get in on it.

Ronnieaj

I tried this for about a week (last week) and got frustrated because messing with my twists in the shower just made them fuzzy and harder to loose out when dry (almost like they started to lock)

I read somewhere (I think it was Going-Natural) about wearing a stocking cap to co-wash in twists. That's what I do and it works really well. I use a spray leave-in condish when I do it (GDIL and rosewater). I wash and twist on Saturday, co-wash on Monday in twists, take twists out Wednesday evening and co-wash, let hair hang free Thursday and Friday, and repeat on Saturday.

Jhuidah

I wear my twists 5 days a week, too. I do need to moisturize more, whether I feel like I need it or not.

The few times I tried to cowash with twists in, they got all hard when they dried and looked like they were trying to lock up. So I have to wash in loose sections.

I wonder if daily moisturizing with a water-based moisturizer will give you the same effects as cowashing? I have some distilled water and aloe vera that I've been meaning to mix up and try out.

NerdSauce

I actually pretty much had the same problem Brittny has had-- much to my chagrin after spending about 8 hours putting in teeny tiny twists :wallbash: so I've given that specific approach up. But since my hair is too short (and/or too dense) to bun I've let go of the idea of handling it all at once pretty much entirely. I'll be doing the whole twisting and tucking thing for a while.. probably until at least the end of the summer. On days that I'm not going anywhere I just untuck, moisturise, and tuck back. The twists aren't neat so when I'm going somewhere I just untuck and untwist and wear it kind of like a curly fro. The first time I tried washing my hair in sections it was the easiest thing EVER :eek:o and the detangling is practically non existent. My issue has always been retention (especially when I was relaxed) so I'm hoping this will help. I plan to co-wash every two or three days or so, and shampoo every three or so co washes-- and I pretty much just use Lustrasilk Shea Mango, Natures Gate Aloe condish, and a lil bit of oil. Oh, and protein treatments as needed as my hair is a little on the fine side and as such kind of moisture sensitive.

It seems to be working so far :grin: I'm getting back to the practically zero breakage that I had at first as a natural before I started trying to do any and everything to my hair (lol), and hopefully I'll continue to retain what I grow..

loolalooh

This happened to me when I was shampoo-ing a lot. I stopped that with a quickness.

So far my hair is responding differently when I co-wash instead. It still gets fuzzy but it's not locking. At least not yet. Another reason why I probably don't get much locking is because I try not to manipulate the roots or hair too much when I co-wash.

I've been co-washing about 1-2x a week, but I'll probably up it 3-4x a week. After co-washing, I usually moisturize/seal with shea butter or an oil.

Give it another shot with more moisturizing and less manipulation. See what happens!

Last edited:

loolalooh

I read somewhere (I think it was Going-Natural) about wearing a stocking cap to co-wash in twists. That's what I do and it works really well. I use a spray leave-in condish when I do it (GDIL and rosewater). I wash and twist on Saturday, co-wash on Monday in twists, take twists out Wednesday evening and co-wash, let hair hang free Thursday and Friday, and repeat on Saturday.

Yep, I hear this is a good way to minimize the frizzies!

BTW, I like your routine. Sounds so simple!

loolalooh

I wear my twists 5 days a week, too. I do need to moisturize more, whether I feel like I need it or not.

The few times I tried to cowash with twists in, they got all hard when they dried and looked like they were trying to lock up. So I have to wash in loose sections.

I wonder if daily moisturizing with a water-based moisturizer will give you the same effects as cowashing? I have some distilled water and aloe vera that I've been meaning to mix up and try out.

Good question. I'm not sure what it is (if anything) about co-washing that aids with growth and/or retention. The massaging? The water? The cleansing? The moisture? Maybe daily moisturizing with a water-based conditioner could to the trick. I have a friend who retains good length by letting water run over her twists daily. Hmm...

loolalooh

I actually pretty much had the same problem Brittny has had-- much to my chagrin after spending about 8 hours putting in teeny tiny twists :wallbash: so I've given that specific approach up. But since my hair is too short (and/or too dense) to bun I've let go of the idea of handling it all at once pretty much entirely. I'll be doing the whole twisting and tucking thing for a while.. probably until at least the end of the summer. On days that I'm not going anywhere I just untuck, moisturise, and tuck back. The twists aren't neat so when I'm going somewhere I just untuck and untwist and wear it kind of like a curly fro. The first time I tried washing my hair in sections it was the easiest thing EVER :eek:o and the detangling is practically non existent. My issue has always been retention (especially when I was relaxed) so I'm hoping this will help. I plan to co-wash every two or three days or so, and shampoo every three or so co washes-- and I pretty much just use Lustrasilk Shea Mango, Natures Gate Aloe condish, and a lil bit of oil. Oh, and protein treatments as needed as my hair is a little on the fine side and as such kind of moisture sensitive.

It seems to be working so far :grin: I'm getting back to the practically zero breakage that I had at first as a natural before I started trying to do any and everything to my hair (lol), and hopefully I'll continue to retain what I grow..

This is good news to hear that what you are doing is working for you. Yea, something doing "any and everything to our hair" can be the worst thing ever!

bemajor

Ok thanks guys. I will try again. maybe tonight or tomorrow while my hair is still clean.

I have another question...how do you combat shrinkage with cowashing? It seems that everytime I wet my twists the shorter it looks when it dries.

Last question: How often are you cowashing?

loolalooh

Ok thanks guys. I will try again. maybe tonight or tomorrow while my hair is still clean.

I have another question...how do you combat shrinkage with cowashing? It seems that everytime I wet my twists the shorter it looks when it dries.

Last question: How often are you cowashing?

Let us know how it goes; I hope it works out for you.

I usually just let the shrinkage be, but over the weekend what I did to combat the shrinkage was:
1) Co-wash in the evening
2) Cornrow my twists
3) Let it airdry overnight
4) Take the cornrows out the next morning for a braidout on the twists

It came out looking like what you see in my signature; wavy and not as much shrinkage. Hope that makes sense.

For now, I co-wash about every 3 days. Eventually I'll do every 2 days.

oooop2

What sz twist are you working with??? If I attempt to cowash w/ small or med twist, then they look frizzy. Hence why I tend to do it only when wearing large twist (about 15/20)....

When I cowash, I wet my hair w/water. Then I saturate my hair/scalp w/ HE Hello Hydration Moisturizing Condish. I then grab 1 twist at a time and under a stream of water, untwist, detangle (I prefer detangling this way and not using a comb/brush too often), and retwist. All in making sure not to remove all of the condish. Once entire head is retwisted, I squeeze out the excess water and shake. I then lightly add Qhemet Olive Cream or a home-made sheabutter cream to my strand and let it air dry. I've definitely be able to attain and retain growth doing this to my hair.

that_1_grrrl

I might revisit twist. I am starting to get bold with hairstyling, so I might do twists for awhile. If I could learn to do flat-twists, it will be on!

anon123

If my hair is in larger twist, I cowash every other day and just retwist in the shower. I tend to do this more in the summer....

This is something I'd love to do with like 20 twists or so. If I didn't look like an extra from The Color Purple, I'd be all over it. Oh, and if my hair didn't try to dred up every time water touches it. :lachen: I would love to do this.

btw, I love your twists. They always look so lush. *sigh* I'm not sure if I've seen your big ones. Got any pics?

loolalooh

What sz twist are you working with??? If I attempt to cowash w/ small or med twist, then they look frizzy. Hence why I tend to do it only when wearing large twist (about 15/20)....

When I cowash, I wet my hair w/water. Then I saturate my hair/scalp w/ HE Hello Hydration Moisturizing Condish. I then grab 1 twist at a time and under a stream of water, untwist, detangle (I prefer detangling this way and not using a comb/brush too often), and retwist. All in making sure not to remove all of the condish. Once entire head is retwisted, I squeeze out the excess water and shake. I then lightly add Qhemet Olive Cream or a home-made sheabutter cream to my strand and let it air dry. I've definitely be able to attain and retain growth doing this to my hair.

Good point, Oooop. Size matters!

anon123

Hmm, I really want to try ooop's method. maybe i'll try for a few days with just the bangs area. 2-4 big twists in that area, cowashing daily, and see if they knot up. I've tried this before over my whole head with the result of losing hair because I had to detangle daily with the shower comb to prevent locking, even though I twisted my hair into big twists immediately after. I'm not sure what makes me think this time will be different. Definition of insanity, much?

Urban

I've been doing this for the past month or so! I love it. I've been cowashing every 3 or so days then retwisting on Fridays ... using either HE Hello Hydration or LTR. My hair is thickening up very nicely.

Although, I think one mistake I've been making is undoing the twists when dry ... i think I've lost a wee bit of length this way, because my ends tangle up on me and I end up with a few broken pieces. I'll definitely try untwisting and retwisting in the shower.

My twists don't look cute either so I've been combining this method with a wig.

loolalooh

Hmm, I really want to try ooop's method. maybe i'll try for a few days with just the bangs area. 2-4 big twists in that area, cowashing daily, and see if they knot up. I've tried this before over my whole head with the result of losing hair because I had to detangle daily with the shower comb to prevent locking, even though I twisted my hair into big twists immediately after. I'm not sure what makes me think this time will be different. Definition of insanity, much?

This sounds like a good plan. Doing the whole head would be insanity:yep: ... nah, just playing. Hopefully this time really will be different. What conditioner are you using to co-wash? That could be important.

loolalooh

I've been doing this for the past month or so! I love it. I've been cowashing every 3 or so days then retwisting on Fridays ... using either HE Hello Hydration or LTR. My hair is thickening up very nicely.

Although, I think one mistake I've been making is undoing the twists when dry ... i think I've lost a wee bit of length this way, because my ends tangle up on me and I end up with a few broken pieces. I'll definitely try untwisting and retwisting in the shower.

I'm glad you mentioned this. After some days of co-washing, I undid a dry twist yesterday just to see how easy it would be to take down. I had to be extra careful because of the coiled up ends. I can see how taking down a wet twist would be much easier. You and Oooop are onto something.

My twists don't look cute either so I've been combining this method with a wig.

Oooh, I like this plan.

oooop2

This is something I'd love to do with like 20 twists or so. If I didn't look like an extra from The Color Purple, I'd be all over it. Oh, and if my hair didn't try to dred up every time water touches it. :lachen: I would love to do this.

btw, I love your twists. They always look so lush. *sigh* I'm not sure if I've seen your big ones. Got any pics?

Here you go:

This is how it looks after I cowash and retwist. I typically wear the side pulled up for more of a style.

And when I want to change up, I add rollers at the end of my version of Curly Nikki's TnC!!

Definitely try it on about 2-3 twist in the front to see if it works...Co-washing my hair only works if I do it this way..

anon123

This sounds like a good plan. Doing the whole head would be insanity:yep: ... nah, just playing. Hopefully this time really will be different. What conditioner are you using to co-wash? That could be important.

Well, the only conditioner I have right now is the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Tea Tree Tingle. I don't have all my hair stuff with me because I'm doing a long-term house sitting thing. I was out and I just bought it to try for the first time over the weekend. I don't really like it, but we'll give it a chance. I'm going to put a little castor oil on the hair after cowashing and retwist.

I'm not sure doing the bangs will give me the best indication, though. That part of my hair gets pulled and stretched the most, so it's a little bit looser than the rest. Anyway, I'm still going to do that for several days and see how it goes.

anon123

Here you go:

This is how it looks after I cowash and retwist. I typically wear the side pulled up for more of a style.

Definitely try it on about 2-3 twist in the front to see if it works...Co-washing my hair only works if I do it this way..

Thanks. See, I knew yours would look great. Mine look terrible. You can see my roots and they look very nappy and tight (like my siggy below) but then the twists themselves look smooth. It looks so wrong with the 2 different looking textures. I don't have an exact picture, but this will give you some idea of what I mean:

http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/2007-hair-1/flattwisttotwist.html

Last edited: