Spinoff...What are the best practices for Airdrying in a Ponytail

RabiaElaine

I think this in one of the things I still need to master. I love airdrying because my hair has so much fullness to it when I do this as opposed to using heat. I also lose less hair because I'm not combing my hair with a fine tooth comb to rollerset it.

But I think I'd like to learn best ways to airdry my hair in a ponytail. Airdrying is especially nice right now in the heat, it really cools the body down.

Those who've had success with it please tell the rest of us exactly how you do it.

Thanks!

SvelteVelvet

Not airdrying in a ponytail. I'd suggest airdrying into one large semi-loose french braid. Save the pony for when it's dry.

RabiaElaine

SvelteVelvet said:
Not airdrying in a ponytail. I'd suggest airdrying into one large semi-loose french braid. Save the pony for when it's dry.

Hmmm...that seems like a good suggestion! Going to try that.

ETA: I think I might try one loose regular braid instead of the french since I think the french would involve more manipulation of my hair while it's wet. I won't braid right down to the ends though. I'll stop braiding maybe an inch or 2 before I reach the ends.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

I just stopped baggying all together. The repeat wetting and drying of my hair (opening and closing of the cuticle) made my hair weak and thin. I already had fine porous hair and baggying did not help at all. I will not be baggying again. It just is not the right thing for my hair:perplexed

SW2011

I've had great results while airdrying in a ponytail. I only wash it at night, so my hair has time to airdry while I sleep. I comb my hair back while under running water in the shower, and I use one of those silk or satin ponytail holders. I use a satin scarf to tie down the edges. It's still damp in the morning, but that's ok, because I just put it in a bun. HTH!

LocksOfLuV

I used to airdry in a ponytail but the scrunchie wasn't double tied. Now I airdry in a big twist.

I need to update my tutorial!:cool:

imstush

I do a wet bun. But i don't use any type of ponytail holders. I loosely wrap the hair itself around in a bun and pin it. I started to wear my hair like this on a regular because the ponytail holders have been breaking my hair.

Also I checked out Kini's FOtki and she does a braid and wraps it around into a bun held by hair pins.

HTH

SvelteVelvet

RabiaElaine said:
Hmmm...that seems like a good suggestion! Going to try that.

ETA: I think I might try one loose regular braid instead of the french since I think the french would involve more manipulation of my hair while it's wet. I won't braid right down to the ends though. I'll stop braiding maybe an inch or 2 before I reach the ends.

That's what I meant, I shouldn't have said french, when I do it I start about 2 inches above my neck.

HoneyDew

I have not looked through this entite thread, so forgive me if someone already said something about this:

What are the benefits of airdrying in a ponytail vs. out? I airdry my texlaxed hair out hanging down. I sometimes put a loose head wrap or head band on the keep wet hair out of my face, butother wise it is just hanging out. I suppose it my hair was longer I could put it in a bun and let it airdry for a day while I run errands or something, but doesn't the ponytail make it take longer to dry? Wouldn't it cause breakage to pull it back and pony iy up?

camellia

Sometimes I air dry in a ponytail, especially now that it's hot out and I'm co-washing.

After I put in my leave in then I put my hair into a ponytail using a satin ribbon or scrunchie, very loosely. Sometimes I use a claw clip.

I haven't had any breakage from doing this.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
kittenz said:
This thread said ponytailing wet hair is dangerous.:ohwell:

Even if I use a scunci for my ponytail airdrying, I get these horrible dents that I can't get rid of. So the best thing for me is to airdry using a silk scarf when it gets to about 80% or 90% dry after moisturizing and sealing with oil.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
HoneyDew said:
I suppose it my hair was longer I could put it in a bun and let it airdry for a day while I run errands or something, but doesn't the ponytail make it take longer to dry? Wouldn't it cause breakage to pull it back and pony iy up?

That would make sense to me. If I have to put my hair in a scunci pony, I wait until it's about 80% dry before doing so. But most of the time, I let airdry hanging down or pinned up.

SilkyandSmooth

Good thread. I usually air dry in a ponytail but I think that I'm going to try something different now. I have noticed broken hairs on the ponytail holders.

tatje

When I airdry, I usually put a scarf on and let my hair dry for 30-45 min loose (not in ponytail), then I would take off the scarf and let it dry by itself. That way it is still flat and straight but the rest of my hair is full and is without the rubber band mark. When my hair is done air drying I then put in a bun (or for someothers a ponytail).

msjones

I've been letting my hair dry down since its summer, using my InterCellular leave in Conditioner, and sealing with Avocado Butter, and then flat ironing when it is completely dry. I've noticed ALOT less breakage since it's less heat. Putting my hair in a ponytail and then having it dry would take wayyy too long.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I usually air-dry in two banded ponytails. Doing that helps to dry my hair straight like a blow-out but it takes forever to dry.

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Here's how I do it...:D

After washing, I add a leave-in, then detangle. After detangling, I let it air dry until it's about 80% dry, then I add in a little moisturizer and seal w/ coconut oil. Then I just gently pull it up into the ponytail. I smooth with a boar's hair brush. If you want a liittle bump at the end, take then ends of your hair and make one pincurl, secure w/ a bobby pin. When it's completely dry, it's bumped. I lose very little hair this way. There are pics in my fotki of my air-dried ponytail. HTH!

RabiaElaine

GABeauty said:
I've had great results while airdrying in a ponytail. I only wash it at night, so my hair has time to airdry while I sleep. I comb my hair back while under running water in the shower, and I use one of those silk or satin ponytail holders. I use a satin scarf to tie down the edges. It's still damp in the morning, but that's ok, because I just put it in a bun. HTH!

What do you do with the ponytail at night? Do you twist it before putting on your scarf?

RabiaElaine

Ok...so this is what I got from everyone's suggestions...and what I'm going to try tonight.

I'm going to airdry 80-90% with my hair out and hanging down (well semi down...since I'm texlaxed). I'm going to wear a scarf across the top/front when I do this that way my hair is lays smooth and flat while it airdries. When it's most of the way dry I'll put in a bit more moisturizer. Then pull into a pony (smoothing with a soft brush) and tuck the ends under with a pin.

I'm expecting to get very little breakage this way.

HoneyDew

qtslim83 said:
Here's how I do it...:D

After washing, I add a leave-in, then detangle. After detangling, I let it air dry until it's about 80% dry, then I add in a little moisturizer and seal w/ coconut oil. Then I just gently pull it up into the ponytail. I smooth with a boar's hair brush. If you want a liittle bump at the end, take then ends of your hair and make one pincurl, secure w/ a bobby pin. When it's completely dry, it's bumped. I lose very little hair this way. There are pics in my fotki of my air-dried ponytail. HTH!

Okay I can see doing it like that. When mine is about 80% dry, putting in a ponytail would be a good idea, especially if I need to go out or don't have time to flatiron it.

HoneyDew

RabiaElaine said:
Ok...so this is what I got from everyone's suggestions...and what I'm going to try tonight.

I'm going to airdry 80-90% with my hair out and hanging down (well semi down...since I'm texlaxed). I'm going to wear a scarf across the top/front when I do this that way my hair is lays smooth and flat while it airdries. When it's most of the way dry I'll put in a bit more moisturizer. Then pull into a pony (smoothing with a soft brush) and tuck the ends under with a pin.

I'm expecting to get very little breakage this way.

By the way RE, great progress!!

senimoni

I'm late as usual but cosigning on the airdrying down first part...I lost my edges pulling straight back into a pony.

RabiaElaine

senimoni said:
I'm late as usual but cosigning on the airdrying down first part...I lost my edges pulling straight back into a pony.

O really?! We really need to make sure that newbies know this...I've been trying to figure out airdrying for years now...I think I may have it right once I try it drying hanging down tonight.

ayoung

I've started using Serinity Breeze's method for air drying and my hair luvs it!! it is in her fotki . I sub. her products though--I use Beyond the Zone Split Ender and my ORS Olive Oil Cream.

It DID NOT like airdrying in a ponytail or bun--my hair is fine and that was a no-no for me.

SB has made awesome progress and I hope to as well with this method.

She drip dries her hair. Applies Split Mender and Moisture and when 80% or so dry she seals with oil. Then when dry she moisturizes her ends. And then she moisturizes them everyday until wash day.

LovelyLionessa

I don't do this normally but I found this method worked for me while on vacation in Jamaica. I would co-wash, not towel dry my hair, gently squeeze the excess water out, then apply leave-in. I'd let my hair airdry a little, then put it in a ponytail. As the day/evening wore on, I'd remove the scrunchie to allow my hair dry further. This even got my roots straight at 10 weeks post. :eyebrows2

sugarose

I will airdry in a pony if I am post-relaxer and need my roots straight. What I do is smooth my hair with my soft brush and put in a semi-tight pony. I only need about 1 hour before my roots are completely dry. Then I just airdry the rest of my hair down. I don't see any breakage from this, but I think it's because I only do it on wash days and it's only for a short amount of time.
Otherwise I will air dry in 1 or 2 braids.