SPINOFF:Whats your Hairtype & Nationality--How did they affect your length & regimen?

fluffylocks

This should be inclusive to everyone and fun :look:

1. What is your hairtype?

2. Whats your nationality? ( Race, Place of birth ect.)

3. Were there any steorytpes about:
Your hairtype?
Your hairtype because of your race?
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality?

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you?

5. Whats the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)?

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed?

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality?
(Example: You are from Australia and they belive this & that, so my regimen was this...and we always used this product....or My mom is white, my father is black----I used this & that ect.)

fluffylocks

Re: SPINOFF:Whats your Hairtype & Nationality--How did they affect your length & regi

I"LL GO!

Mostly 4a, COARSE....Couple of spots of 4b in the middle, and 3c in the back in front, but thats too much talking, 4a.

Black
African decent
America

Your hairtype? "Nappy" Hair could not grow (coarsness and curl pattern)
Your hairtype because of your race? Skin. Darkskin girls couldnt grow hair and had "bad" hair

The sterotypes about my hair at some times in my life were true, When i was younger i had longer hair, early teens and later---damaged. They effected me because i believed that i could not grow my hair, and it made me feel "less than" because people always said only light/mixed girls could grow hair, and that my hair was "bad"

Longest--Maybe about BSL, Elementry School aged
Shortest--Earlength, Highschool age

Relaxed since i can remember, i believe it was due to the stereotypes

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality?
(Example: You are from Australia and they belive this & that, so my regimen was this...and we always used this product....or My mom is white, my father is black----I used this & that ect.)[/quote]

Black people around me belived that washing was bad, only washed 2x a month.

Grease would grow hair, greased nightly.

Trimming grew hair & stunted growth----Trimmed after every relaxer

Braids grew hair, Heat was bad

Holy grail products were
Pink lotion, cream of nature, Pantene,

Last edited:

wannabelong

Re: SPINOFF:Whats your Hairtype & Nationality--How did they affect your length & regi

1. What is your hairtype? 4 a/b I think

2. Whats your nationality? ( Race, Place of birth ect.) Black, born in the USA - D.C. to be exact.

Your hairtype? no
Your hairtype because of your race? no
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? no

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you? N/A

Shortest - boy hair cut (33)

Longest - between SL and APL in college (19 - 20)

natural 10 years, relaxed last two years

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality? I don't think my nationality had anything to do with my regimen growing up. It was the lack of knowledge of how to properly take care of my hair that shaped my regime or should I say lack of.

(Example: You are from Australia and they belive this & that, so my regimen was this...and we always used this product....or My mom is white, my father is black----I used this & that ect.)

LunadeMiel

1. What is your hairtype? 3b/3c/4a?

Black
Haitian

Your hairtype? not really, people never really commented negatively about my hair type.
Your hairtype because of your race? No
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? People always assumed that I was not really from Haiti because of my hair type...:rolleyes:

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they affect you? No, I've grown up around people with various hair types and various lenghts.

5. What's the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? APL- BSL (right around the time that I relaxed)
Ear length in October 2005
6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? I've been relaxed for 12 years. I'm currently transitioning

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality? Growing up my mother used a lot of grease in my hair. People thought that grease made your hair grow...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Me_short_hair.jpg
    Me_short_hair.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

princessnad

1. What is your hairtype? 4a

Black
Jamaica

Your hairtype? Well, I never thought of it as a stereotype. I just thought some people were lucky enough to 'have' long hair and some people had short hair. When I was younger, I never thought about the process of growing it. It was like people were born with the hair they were going to have. And that was that.

Your hairtype because of your race? Black people were supposed to have shorter hair. If you are mixed with Indian or Chinese then you have a chance at longer hair. Any black girl I saw with long hair, I would think had some sort of mixed heritage. (I neglected the whole part about my own grandmother having a white Dad)

Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? People just always call me a fakin' Jamaican anyway because I am light-skinned. But people are just ignorant and don't realize Jamaican is a nationality and not a race. Many races and mixtures co-exist within Jamaica with all shades of people...:rolleyes:

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they affect you? N/A

5. What's the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? Between SL and APL before 6 years old. Then my Mom left for the States and being left in the hands of my other family members, my hair got less care and was a little shorter than SL. When I was back in my mother's caring hands :Blush2:, around age 12, it grew back to a little shorter than APL.

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? I've been relaxed for 10 years.

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality? Too much grease. Not washing often enough (every week- every other week) Shampooing too much. Ripping through my hair, I just thought it was normal to rip out a handful + of hair after every wash. Then after I was relaxed, the whole leave it all to the hair-dresser thing. I don't know if that is a Jamaican thing, but that is how it was in my immediate family.

Dposh167

mostly 4a with some 4b spots

black/african american

Your hairtype? nappy
Your hairtype because of your race? nappy
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? nappy lol

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you? well most people around me had similar hair type..so if i was considered nappy so were they

longest= 3 & 4th grade (mid back)
shortest= 7th grade (neck length)

15-16 years (of my 23 years) i got relaxed in 3rd grade

there were none.
u just put all ur money and time into black hair products and called it a day.

fluffylocks

The one star.

Dang.

Just trying to make a postive comparison thread after the two loooong ones where everyone said things werent fair. :ohwell:

Sugarhoney

1. What is your hairtype? 3c/4a

Black
American
(of African, Native American, and European decent)

Your hairtype? Because I'm mostly 3c I am not "nappy" to some of my fellow Naturals. And people tend to think I am "bi-racial" when I wear it curly. (??)

Your hairtype because of your race? because i'm not lightskinned I can't have long hair. (I have been hearing that all of my life.):rolleyes:

Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? Foreign people that I've known say black american women have "difficult" hair

No.
They didn't.

Longest: Bra-stap length (Current)
Shortest: Pixe-cut, similar to Monica's (the singer) hair back in the day, when I was 14.

Relaxed: 1990-2004
Natural: Childhood & 2004-current

Because I grew up with a kinkier 4a texture (somehow my type changed to 3c since then) than my mom, and the women on my maternal side who have done my hair growing up, who have long silky 3a or 3b hair, I was subjected to harsh combing and piles of grease brushed in with minimun washing. Needless to say, I broke many of combs and loss alot of hair!

From that experience, I now comb my hair with care and patience. And I do not have much hair loss.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

1. What is your hairtype? I think it's 3b/c

2. Whats your nationality? ( Race, Place of birth ect.) African American, born in U.S.

Your hairtype? Yes, I get stereotyped as being mixed with something because of my hairtype.

Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? No

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you? I guess they are true somewhat because I know there are other races down the line in my family. They don't affect me because I don't let them.

5. Whats the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? I don't really know. I didn't really pay attention to my hair length when I was younger. I always had a decent length though.

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? I was only relaxed 5 or 6 years of my life, the rest natural.

Both my parents are black but have very different hairtypes. Growing up our hair care was like most other AA households which was shampoo, condition, hair grease or oil, etc. I think my hair type comes from my dad's side, my grandmother and all of her sisters are black but look almost white (I think you guys know what I mean), white skin, very loose hair in the 2's. For some reason I feel like I need to say this after reading all of the other race and texture threads. I stayed silent in those but I do want to say that there is no specific mixed texture or specific black texture. I really don't know what else to say because I was confused by all the threads.

Last edited:

JustKiya

(I swear, there is a one star hater running around here, giving threads one star when they only have one post and so forth - I mean, really, did the Pibbs thread deserve one star??? :perplexed )

Annnnnnnnyhow.

3b/4a

American of Diasporic Desent. :lol: Fine, Fine, I'm black, born in Chocolate City!

Your hairtype? Should be nappy, is nappy.
Your hairtype because of your race? Should be nappy, is nappy.
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? Should be nappy, is nappy.

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you? I have nappy hair. What can I say? I grew up Muslim, wearing the Hijab, so only close friends and family saw my hair - so I didn't have to deal with trying to make it 'swang' or having other kids ask me what was up with my hair - they were too busy picking on me for other reasons. :ohwell:

5. Whats the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? The longest its been is APL - I was 18, and had just gotten my second perm. The first one was at 13, and I let it get ate up, and didn't do a thing to my hair in the inbetween time.
The shortest? I was 18, had just gotten my second perm, and got a Halle Berry (Barry? I know, I'm sad) haircut. The hairdresser nearly fell out, but she cut it all off.
Natural before that - I've no clue.
Natural after that - I had locs, and it was about APL - maybe a lil shorter...

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? My last perm was in Feb of 97, so, officially 11 years, give or take a week or two.

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality? I was tenderheaded, and my momma swore I had my fathers hair, because her hair acted/looked NOTHING like mine (oddly enough, the better I take care of it, the more it's like hers.....), so - my childhood regimen was resist getting it done (washed, dried, greased up)/get it pressed to make it easier to deal with/end up in cornrows anyhow because I didn't understand the concept of keeping my hair dry/resist getting it done, so forth and so on.

The only way I can link that to my heritage is that - well, we didn't know our heritage. We don't know our heritage. The issues that I had as a child/teen with my hair weren't due to me having that 'bad hair' - it was because I didn't know what to do with the hair I had. The fact that I was 29 before I REALLY realized that is saddening and shocking to me, on so many different levels.

SignatureBeauty

1. What is your hairtype? 3c/4a/4b

2. Whats your nationality? ( Race, Place of birth ect.) Black,Born in Houston,Texas

Your hairtype? Yes, People would see that my hair grew fast and would sometimes think it was fake & it wasn't even all that long, but it was healthy, Then because it would swang and blow in the wind and wasn't all stiff with Spritz spray and brown gel and crimps & grease, they said I must have "Indian in my Family" Which I do, but not enough Blood to tamper with my Hair Genes LOL!!!!

Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? No

4. Were the sterotypes true? No

How did they effect you? Not At All Made me feel better and to know that I must be doing something right, because they think I had a Weave or "Indian" in my Family!!

5. Whats the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? The Longest was when I was in High School About 15-18yrs Old! & The ShortesT is When I done The Big Chop and Shaved my head Bald to go Natural in 2003, I was 27.

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? Since 2003, I have been Both so about 5 years

When I was growing up, we always had a Shampoo & Condition & Press once a week, & we had Scalp greasing about 2 times a week and our hair was rolled with them pink sponge rollers. I must say that none of this Hindered our hair growth at all, Our hair grew Lovely! Mom done the best, Dad was Bald Headed so I couldn't even tell you what his hair looks like. But It taught me to take care of my hair, Even though things have changed, & we have better access and knowledge of our hair, I am passing it down to my kids, even my boys because they seem to think grease and water make waves LOL!!! But their hair grows. I mean Women in my family still uses royal crown grease & blue magic & tbc,dax etc. and there hair is just as healthy! But it is all a Personal choice. Alot of women Back in the Day had Lovely Long hair and none of them had Natural Products like we do Today, so I say if it ain't broke,don't fix it.

By The Way!! This Is How A Thread Should Be

Cheleigh

Type 4
Black, California
Your hairtype? Nope
Your hairtype because of your race? Not really, although I think that because I am dark-skinned, some people might have added a special "your hair is so long and pretty."
Your hairtype because of your place of birth or any other nationality? Nope

4. Were the sterotypes true? How did they effect you? Well, I grew up thinking that I was tough **** HA!!! :lachen: Funny, because my hair wasn't even very long.

Shortest--March 2006, just after my BC. Longest has been brastrap. Usual length for most of my life was hovering around armpit.

I was natural and pressed for 12 years, relaxed for 20 years, and natural for almost 2 years.

I grew up with most black girls having fairly long hair, so I always knew it to be achievable. As a black American growing up sort of lower-middle class, most of my peers got presses, used grease, and wore pigtails and ponytails. Some had curls. I didn't start to see girls with hair breakage until jr. high, and still it was nothing compared to what I see now.

choconillaprincess

mostly 3c-a lil 3b
Half white american (german jewish and english decent) and half black american (my pop was like 1/8 japanese but i don't think there's enough in me to count)... Oh yea I'm also decendent of Vikings lol
Your hairtype?
Just that it must not be my natural hair... some ppl really don't believe me!
Your hairtype because of your race?
Ppl assume that because i'm mixed race I should have loosely textured hair or "good hair"... I've had folks say that I only have curly hair cuz i'm mixed and others say my hair is not as good as most mixed ppl....?
I'm from the south where weaves are very prevalent and when I where a puff ppl accuse it of being a "piece" lol

Not really when I was younger my hair was really long & i was always the mixed girl with long hair... then when my mother stopped taking care of it and I took over and got a perm it started to break off... so I realized that the length of my hair wasn't determined by me being half white but how well i care for my hair

Then of course when my hair wouldn't grow past my shoulders because I couldn't care for it ppl would question why my hair was short if i was biracial

Longest: MBL-WL throughout elementary school
Shortest: SL- I cut it hear around 8th grade and it never grew back! until I went natural of course...

Natural for almost 2 yrs!

I was VERY confused about how to take care of my hair... Watching my mom take care of her hair I tried to use the same products which weren't created for me... I read magazines that catered to mostly white readers and followed their advice which was, once again, not for me... When I made some black friends (yay!!!) towards the end of middle school-beginning of HS they would tell me how to do my hair... most of it was bad advice tho! They told me to moisturize with grease! ahhh

kiesha8185

1. What is your hair type? I've been told I'm 3c-4a

2. Whats your nationality? ( Race, Place of birth ect.) I'm black. Born in NY, but my parents are from Trinidad.

3. Were there any stereotypes about:
Your hair type? People think I'm mixed with Indian.
Your hair type because of your race? That I have "good hair" and I have it easy or something.
Your hair type because of your place of birth or any other nationality? People think that I am mixed with Indian and have "good hair" when I say my parents are Trini.

4. Were the stereotypes true? How did they effect you? No, I am not mixed. I don't really care about the stereotypes.

5. Whats the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)? My hair was always thick as a child. It was full APL when I first relaxed it, then it all broke off.

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? I have been relaxed since I was 10 (12 years relaxed)

7. How do you feel your nationality shaped your regimen as a child, or what are some unique and different things that you feel was a part of your regimen growing up due to your nationality? Hmmm, my parents did know a little about henna in Trinidad, and she used it some times. My mom used to oil our hair and scalps with coconut oil. I think that's what contributed to our thickness and length.

divya

1. What is your hairtype? 3c-ish

African/East Indian/Carib
American (nationality)
Trinidadian (Caribbean) descent

Your hairtype? Not really.
Your hairtype because of your race? Not really...but a lot people do expect for “dougla” people to have curly/wavy hair, but not all of us do…

Just echoing kiesha here…some people tend to these all Trinis are Indian/mixed Indian or have "pretty hair."

4. Were the stereotypes true? How did they effect you? No, they aren’t true so I didn’t pay them any mind.

5. What’s the longest & shortest your hair has been & when was it (age)?
My hair was longest in my pre-teen years - almost waist length.

6. How long have you been natural or relaxed? Been texturized/texlaxed since around age 12.

Well, I’m not sure really. I have found that more Americans were/are into really having their hair done all the time, but my family being Trinidadian were more into very natural/simple styles. Maybe that’s why my hair seems to grow fast to some people. Braidouts were the norms, and when getting touch-ups, they were always mild and not frequent. Also like kiesha mentioned, it's quite normal to use coconut oil...

Tenacious

3b/3c, thin

Nationality: American
Ethnicity: African, Mexican, English, Native American
born in East Ridge, TN.

3. Were there any stereotypes about:
Your hairtype?
Yes, it was finer and straighter than my peers, so I had "indian hair".... which later proved to be mexican blood.

Well, having Native American and Mexican-American roots, I figure that my jet-black hair color comes from this lineage. My family members (who have more black lineage) have thick, reddish 4b hairtypes.

When I was little, I didn't understand why I looked different than my sisters and my mom. The stereotypes then started shaping how I viewed myself, so I searched until I found an answer of why I looked this way.

BSL - 10 years old (9 years ago)

My last relaxer was Feb. 2005, I bc'ed on June 2006.... So, about 3 years since my relaxer and over 2 years since I bc'ed.

Well, before I knew about my background, I was just another black child to me, so I always had my hair done every sunday. I just knew that I was different since I couldn't get braids done or wear everyone's styles because my hair was so fine... I always wanted to know why I couldn't get braids or why I couldn't get twists, but never got an answer. I just remember my mom wouldn't let people touch my hair in school.