SPLIT ENDS....

how often do you trim

• Total voters

honeybadgirl

whats the story with them??? i hear ladies on this site that says they dont get trims for months, even years. why do we need trims if, like many here, still grow long hair? will the split ends really split all the way up to the root, then what happens when it does? i have also heard other women, not from this site but in "real life", pretty much dismiss length on a woman if her ends are "raggedy". they'll say, "yeah her hair is long but look at those ends" as if the length doesnt count because the ends are not blunt or even. how do you we keep our hair healthy, retain length and have split ends? is it truely possible??:confused:

seeminglysweet

honeybadgirl said:
whats the story with them??? i hear ladies on this site that says they dont get trims for months, even years. why do we need trims if, like many here, still grow long hair? will the split ends really split all the way up to the root, then what happens when it does? i have also heard other women, not from this site but in "real life", pretty much dismiss length on a woman if her ends are "raggedy". they'll say, "yeah her hair is long but look at those ends" as if the length doesnt count because the ends are not blunt or even. how do you we keep our hair healthy, retain length and have split ends? is it truely possible??:confused:

I'm not sure if the split ends will really split all the way up to the root but I watch mine closely and they do split farther up the strand.

As far as length, I don't dismiss someone's length if the ends are raggedy but I don't think their hair is as beautiful as I would if they got those raggedy ends cut off, even if they had to loose 2-3 inches as a result. I think healthy hair is more important than length but I will wait until the very last breaking point until I cut my split ends. :lachen:

Brownie518

My ends were terrible 'before the Forum'. It's one of the reasons I found it. Now, thanks to jojoba oil, qp mango butter, and profectiv healthy ends my hair has recovered. Now, I trim as needed and keep those ends moisturized.
I won't dismiss length due to raggedy ends. We all understand the fear of trimming. It doesn't look nice and it can't be good for your hair in the long run. Believe me, I know.

Kari107

I've always wondered about those people who say the go even a year without trimming. I wonder just how they do it. I tried to take care of my hair and hold off trimming. It lasted 5 months but I finally gave in last week. My hair ends were just too brittle to hold on to them. I was not happy when I did it but my hair looks better and it was needed. I think the lenght of time that a person can go without a trim is an individual thing. Some people can wait a year some just can't. It all depends on your hair and it's condition. When I see people with long hair and damaged ends I must be honest I do dismiss it a bit. While I admire the lenght it would be even better if the ends were healthy. I also understand that trimming is not something people love to do but I feel it is necessary.

toyztoy

Kari107 said:
I've always wondered about those people who say the go even a year without trimming. I wonder just how they do it. I tried to take care of my hair and hold off trimming. It lasted 5 months but I finally gave in last week. My hair ends were just too brittle to hold on to them. I was not happy when I did it but my hair looks better and it was needed. I think the lenght of time that a person can go without a trim is an individual thing. Some people can wait a year some just can't. It all depends on your hair and it's condition. When I see people with long hair and damaged ends I must be honest I do dismiss it a bit. While I admire the lenght it would be even better if the ends were healthy. I also understand that trimming is not something people love to do but I feel it is necessary.
What she said!:D Even ends/healthy ends are definitely more important than length to me! It seems to me my hair always grows more after a good trim.

itsmeme

I'm in the process of figuring out what my trim routine should be. since my big chop jan.06. I didnt get a trim the whole time i was growing my hair until mar.07 and let me tell u they cut at least a inch and a half all split ends:mad: . I also had micros during that time.When i went back bout a little over a month later they said i didnt need a trim so im like when will i need one? I think that it is important to keep them trimed becuz split ends is unhealthy hair to me and i would dismiss it when it comes to length

LocksOfLuV

A lot of people that are protective styling and baggying can hold off on trimming. Their ends aren't being exposed to the elements, clothing, etc, so why should they trim? Those people take care of their ends and can afford to not trim. If you are using heat and wearing you hair down a lot, you may have to trim, that's just the nature of the game. But the faithful baggiers/protective stylers have been taking precautions so they DON'T have to trim.

I have not worn my hair down or used heat for going on six months this May. When I relax, do you think I am going to trim? Hell no (unless I there has been some breakage during my stretch that I didn't see).:lol: I worked hard keeping those ends protected and moisturized. I am not going to put myself on a schedule just cause it seems like the thing I should do. I am trying to go a whole year without trimming. We will see how it goes....;)

It is VERY possible for people who take care of their ends.

camellia

I'm one of those very infrequent trimmers/dusters. As you can see my hair is not even. It grows in "tails". I doesn't really bother me. Of course it does look better and neater when I actually comb it.;)

My ends aren't damaged and I rarely see a split. I think this is due to wearing my hair up most of the time and rarely using any type of heat. My ends don't rub against anything so they don't become frayed.

I think the last trim I had was in December or maybe January. DH trimmed off about 2 inches for me to "neaten" things up.

MrsHouston

It's been about 8 months since my last trim. I might dust on my next flat iron, not sure. Check out my ends if u must;)

MrsHouston

LocksOfLuV said:
A lot of people that are protective styling and baggying can hold off on trimming. Their ends aren't being exposed to the elements, clothing, etc, so why should they trim? Those people take care of their ends and can afford to not trim. If you are using heat and wearing you hair down a lot, you may have to trim, that's just the nature of the game. But the faithful baggiers/protective stylers have been taking precautions so they DON'T have to trim.

I have not worn my hair down or used heat for going on six months this May. When I relax, do you think I am going to trim? Hell no (unless I there has been some breakage during my stretch that I didn't see).:lol: I worked hard keeping those ends protected and moisturized. I am not going to put myself on a schedule just cause it seems like the thing I should do. I am trying to go a whole year without trimming. We will see how it goes....;)

I agree w/ ya! I baby my ends to death and they look good to me. The last time I flat ironed they looked fine, I just keep checking them out.

Limit the heat and save you're ends.

Good luck on waiting a year, that's AWESOME!!!!

diamondlady

My ends stayed healthy when I was not using heat very much. I started going to the salon for those wonderful silky bouncy styles and far too much heat to achieve them and the ends got raggedy quick.

In my case, it depends on how I'm treating my hair how often I have to trim

honeybadgirl

Brownie518 said:
My ends were terrible 'before the Forum'. It's one of the reasons I found it. Now, thanks to jojoba oil, qp mango butter, and profectiv healthy ends my hair has recovered. Now, I trim as needed and keep those ends moisturized.
I won't dismiss length due to raggedy ends. We all understand the fear of trimming. It doesn't look nice and it can't be good for your hair in the long run. Believe me, I know.

speaking of profectiv, i just tried the conditioner, i cant remember the name but it smells sooooooo good! i get happy when i use it a part of my pre poo:p

honeybadgirl

MrsHouston said:
It's been about 8 months since my last trim. I might dust on my next flat iron, not sure. Check out my ends if u must;)

thanks ladies. i just started self trimming when i flat iron. i did it once or twice. there are still some ends that i am chopping off sloooooowly:grin:
i am on a bit of a self challenge not to trim, well....not to have my hair professionally trimmed that is.

honeybadgirl

MrsHouston said:
I agree w/ ya! I baby my ends to death and they look good to me. The last time I flat ironed they looked fine, I just keep checking them out.

Limit the heat and save you're ends.

Good luck on waiting a year, that's AWESOME!!!!

i'm going to try to limit the heat but when i air dry, my hair comes out puffy and raggedy looking, i'm not relaxed remember?:ohwell: so when my hair is in that state it looks sooooo dry and although i moisturize i dont get that smooth texture on the ends. what can i do? then it seems it sheds more like that. i dont know:confused: BUT when i blow dry and flat iron its silky, smooth and BEAUTIFUL!! all is good. i shampoo my hair weekly and put it right up in a day or even on that day, no more heat is used thru out the week. i dont want to keep the heat in it but i like the results better when the heat is in. i get really paranoid when its in the dried out look state that air drying does to me:nono:

sholly6

i wear cornrows for about 2-3 months i follow the crown and glory method. the fourth month i get my hair press and ends trim. i used the baggy method on my head so not much needs to trimed.

guesswho

The last time I trimmed was about 3 months ago when my co workers encouraged me to get my hair flat iron for that week I kept bumping the ends with a curling iron my ends were damaged at the end of that week I had to cut like 3 inches off, and before that the last time I trimmed was last year summer I'm always in protective style I rarely wear my hair out and I have absolute no split ends there is no need to trim, my goal is retaining length and protecting my ends, that's the main reason I'm wearing protective styles.

locabouthair

i dunno whats up with my hair. but the front of my hair always has splits. i havent used heat since 8 months ago so i dont know what the culprit is.

dynamic1

Sometimes I think people view uneven hair as raggedy or damaged. Hair does not grow out evenly. For some, trimming is a matter of aesthetic preference.

meaganita

Can someone please tell me what causes "knot" split ends? You know, when the hair strand has a knot in it at the end....I sparingly put heat on my hair... Mainly blowdrys every couple months and a flat iron every here and there. I wear cornrows all the time, but I also get haircuts on a regular basis....at leat 4 times a year w/an inch or more clipped at a time...Somehow the knots are still there...At first I thought it was just some of the longer hairs that had been exposed to heat...But I even found a new growth hair in the "kitchen" that had a knot in it! HELP!!!:(

honeybadgirl

sholly6 said:
i wear cornrows for about 2-3 months i follow the crown and glory method. the fourth month i get my hair press and ends trim. i used the baggy method on my head so not much needs to trimed.

thanks sholly! but i absolutely can not baggy my ends. that tears my ends up!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: i'll never do it again.

honeybadgirl

locabouthair said:
i dunno whats up with my hair. but the front of my hair always has splits. i havent used heat since 8 months ago so i dont know what the culprit is.

yeah...i keep noticing split ends in the front too. i trim the strands that i see are split but if i go back a day or 2 later, theres more splits! i dont get it:perplexed

honeybadgirl

meaganita said:
Can someone please tell me what causes "knot" split ends? You know, when the hair strand has a knot in it at the end....I sparingly put heat on my hair... Mainly blowdrys every couple months and a flat iron every here and there. I wear cornrows all the time, but I also get haircuts on a regular basis....at leat 4 times a year w/an inch or more clipped at a time...Somehow the knots are still there...At first I thought it was just some of the longer hairs that had been exposed to heat...But I even found a new growth hair in the "kitchen" that had a knot in it! HELP!!!:(

does someone know why this happens? i just had the same thing happen to me in the same area last week:lol:

Ladyhenri

LocksOfLuV said:

I 100% Agree with the above.
I used to trim once every 6 weeks pre-LHCF, and still have raggedy ends. Since i started baggying and moisturising those ends daily...i have had no need to do a trim.
I have still done a teeeny dust, but trims? Not necessary if your ends are in good condition. If i discover any splits i will trim within the blink of an eye.

honeybadgirl

Henrietta said:
I 100% Agree with the above.
I used to trim once every 6 weeks pre-LHCF, and still have raggedy ends. Since i started baggying and moisturising those ends daily...i have had no need to do a trim.
I have still done a teeeny dust, but trims? Not necessary if your ends are in good condition. If i discover any splits i will trim within the blink of an eye.

i know alot of people including stylists that think that they have to trim every 3 months(if natural) or whenever they get a relaxer touch up. i remember when i was younger my stylist would INSIST that if i got a relaxer i NEEDED a trim.:perplexed
even other stylist that came along would want to trim if i got a relaxer. i never really knew why but i was brainwashed into thinking that was the way it was. i dont feel that way anymore though

Last edited:

MzOptimistic

LocksOfLuV said:

I agree with everything Locks said because I baggie 24/7 and I just trimmed my ends last week because they were uneven/not split and I had an interview to go to and I wore my hair down for the first time since joining. Before I trimmed last week, my last trim was June 06. I would have held off myself but everyone knows that uneven ends do not look cute when your wearing a wrap but I will not be trimming anytime soon.

Last edited:

LovelyZ

I trim about 2-3 times per year.

trims never helped me retain length because i always needed them. when i was getting regular trims from a stylist my hair never got any longer. when i stopped trimming it regularly, it grew and grew and grew.

what i should have been doing was keeping the ends moisturized. now whenever a stylists says you should trim because it will make your hair grow longer, i'm just like "ok" and thinking "whatever". obviously i'm doing what works well for me. i'm not scared of a few split ends as long as the bulk of them are healthy.

honeybadgirl

LovelyZ said:
I trim about 2-3 times per year.

trims never helped me retain length because i always needed them. when i was getting regular trims from a stylist my hair never got any longer. when i stopped trimming it regularly, it grew and grew and grew.

what i should have been doing was keeping the ends moisturized. now whenever a stylists says you should trim because it will make your hair grow longer, i'm just like "ok" and thinking "whatever". obviously i'm doing what works well for me. i'm not scared of a few split ends as long as the bulk of them are healthy.

i agree!!! ;)

KweenZ

Well my hair is prone to be very dry and this a causes a lot of my breakage and splits..
Basically now i just trim to get rid of the damaged ends from when i wasnt taking as good care of my hair
but i think by me trimming at least every 4-6 months [just like a 1/4 - 1/2 inch] has allowed me to retain my length because my ends arent constantly breaking from the damage
When I get better control over my dryness && ends it wont be as necessary, but i will still trim just to prevent split ends from continuing to split

ChasingBliss

LocksOfLuV said:

Agrees with your whole post. I trim once a year, I spend 95% of my time in moisturized buns (until I reach my desired length). It just isnt necessary to trim frequently and I rarely see split ends.