SPLIT ENDS....

how often do you trim

• Total voters

tapioca_pudding

I dusted my ends in April cuz they were sickening... I think I may need to dust again when its time for my relaxer (next week). I have a hard time protecting my ends becuz I cant do buns, etc. But Ive been bagging my hair all this week and DCing alot more.. hopefully it will help.

honeybadgirl

mw138 said:
I go about every six months.

thats what i think i'm going to do too. i started dusting my own hair which is working out but i have been trying to slowly trim the damaged ends from last year:( . i think i will go have my stylist trim it in 2 months to get it back on track. i just wanted to wait for my hair to grow out a little bit because i trimmed what needed it and not all the way around so to a professional, it probably looks jacked up:lachen:

Aveena

honeybadgirl said:
thats what i think i'm going to do too. i started dusting my own hair which is working out but i have been trying to slowly trim the damaged ends from last year:( . i think i will go have my stylist trim it in 2 months to get it back on track. i just wanted to wait for my hair to grow out a little bit because i trimmed what needed it and not all the way around so to a professional, it probably looks jacked up:lachen:

This is why I voted when ever I want to. Because I have some very unevenly growing / or split ends at my crown. I'm determined to thicken it up and get it more blunt. So I've been trimming often recently. I"m sure I'll never go more than 2 months without trimming though.

honeybadgirl

Fran said:
This is why I voted when ever I want to. Because I have some very unevenly growing / or split ends at my crown. I'm determined to thicken it up and get it more blunt. So I've been trimming often recently. I"m sure I'll never go more than 2 months without trimming though.

i know what you mean but i'm seeing so many people that do and even i'm doing ok, for the most part:look: . its just that i would like to get a solid whole head of healthy hair and then start again. my ends got so messed up from that dumb baggie method(no disrepect to anyone that loves it) but its not for me!! :nono:. i just want a clean slate and now that i know so much more about proper hair care, i can take it from there:grin:

SkinnyMocah

My ends are terrible, but I think they're just frizzy. My friend said I had split ends but either I don't know what a split end looks like, or I don't have them. I've plucked a random hair to look at the end and I don't see a split, so... I dunno. I'm confused, I guess I dunno what a split end looks like. I do see that the shaft of the hair is straight, and then at some point it wiggles out to the end. I guess that's what gives me my frizz. I dunno.

I'm tempted to chop my hair up to the "good" part but what if there's nothing wrong with them? I really think the frizz is the last bit of overprocessed hair from when I was overdoing my relaxers.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say but I only trim to keep it even. :D

gone_fishing

My hairstylist - we'll call her "mary" - is great but she has a few flaws. She always conditions my hair very well. The only thing I don't like is that she does the same routine over and over. She uses Dudley products and it makes my hair feel great but sometimes I just feel like the routine should vary depending on the needs of my hair that week.

She likes to trim my hair by the book - every six weeks. Last time she cut off 3 inches claiming all was split ends but I didn't see any. Although, I've never had a real problem growing my hair out, I was not a happy girl because I had just made up my mind that I wanted to start growing it back out after keeping it shoulder length by choice for a few years. Here she comes and chop chop chop.

She's very old fashioned and she's very trigger/scissor happy. She gets sort of uppity if you try and correct her. i always feel like i'm a pig on my way to the butcher shop when i go to see her for a trim. I used to see her every single saturday at 10:30 up until last week. Since coming to this forum, I realized, I don't need her every week. I can spend that $40 on something else or save it. Maybe I'll get weekly pedicures instead (for cheaper)...Anyway, I've realized, I can take care of my own mane like I did for years and just go to her for special occassions and for deep conditioning because NOBODY can deep condition like Mary. That's the best thing about her. I'm thinking of letting the lady who does my eyebrows *Jackie* trim my hair. I don't need her to style it or anything, I just need her to trim it and I believe she'd listen since she's not old and set in her ways. This Jackie lady is white but she married to a black man and she knows what she's doing with a head of hair. I just always went to mary and let her do my eyebrows only because Jackie's prices are so outrageous.

sexyeyes3616

Most people with long hair are adamant about keeping it long. Sun, wind, blow-drying, pony-tail holders, harsh shampoos, smog, pillows, and even poor diet can all take their toll on hair. In order to keep your hair looking healthy, even if it's long, you must keep it trimmed.

Im starting to believe that some hairstylists trim hair ends so frequently on purpose. So you kind of have to gauge it yourself when you are ready to cut.

Whimsy

honeybadgirl said:
whats the story with them??? i hear ladies on this site that says they dont get trims for months, even years. why do we need trims if, like many here, still grow long hair? will the split ends really split all the way up to the root, then what happens when it does? i have also heard other women, not from this site but in "real life", pretty much dismiss length on a woman if her ends are "raggedy". they'll say, "yeah her hair is long but look at those ends" as if the length doesnt count because the ends are not blunt or even. how do you we keep our hair healthy, retain length and have split ends? is it truely possible??:confused:

I have splits galore because i don't care for my hair as i should and i only trim when i'm relaxing. In my opinion my hair is still nice/healthy-ish/and retaining length. I went over a year w/o a trim after my b.c. and my hair continued to grow etc.
I will try and trim every few months from now on as I transition back to natural.

honeybadgirl

Whimsy said:
I have splits galore because i don't care for my hair as i should and i only trim when i'm relaxing. In my opinion my hair is still nice/healthy-ish/and retaining length. I went over a year w/o a trim after my b.c. and my hair continued to grow etc.
I will try and trim every few months from now on as I transition back to natural.

ITA!!! the last time i trimmed(professionally) was in february. my hair is still growing and i said to myself maybe i'll let my stylist trim it in July. well July is here and now i think i'm going to just keep letting it come down and see what happens:grin:. i still, kind of, have that mentality that i need to get trims regularly. i'm ok with dusting, trimming myself for now.:D

Last edited:

Marcia16

Today, I finally relaxed my hair after a 6 month stretch. My sister-n-law has been my stylist for the past 2 years & today I finally decided to let her go. It has been a constant struggle with her. For the last past 2 years I have been stuck at SL & didn't know why. well today she wanted to trim my hair & I said No. When I said NO, she asked why & I said I prefer not to trim this time & smiled. She proceeded to check my ends & stated that my ends were in bad shape. I'm saying to myself, dam all that hard work I've been doing protecting my ends. She told me she would have to cut 3 inches off :eek: . I told her NO. She kept pressuring me & I felt like a 5 year old being scolded. I asked her how do you know if an end is split. She said the best way to tell is when your hair is wet. If the ends are curly or has a wave to it, it's split :ohwell: . So 3 inches of my hair is curly, just doesn't sound right. I think she's full of sh***. I'm done with her. My hair came out nice & I'm almost APL & that's because I didn't cut my ends. That's why i stayed stuck at SL for sooo long. BSL here I come. In the mean time i'll be looking for a new stylists. i'm eyeing the Dominicans.

honeybadgirl

good for you!! i'm glad you didnt let her CUT your hair! that is so ridiculous what she said! i agree, keep it moving and keep doing what YOU'RE doing:D

Every six months I trim between 1/2 to 1 inch of my hair. If I dont force myself to do it in January and July, I will never want to do it. Sometimes more than what I feel is necessary but after my next relaxer, I am over it and thrilled at how healthy my hair is. You can never underestimate the benefits of healthy ends.

I also make sure that I moisturize my ends every night. It helps a ton with keeping them at bay.

Aliajp, great post. Deep conditionig really works wells.

Best!

Creatividual

From my experience, when I deep condition my hair balancing protein and moisture, moisturize my hair daily, use little to no direct heat, my hair breaks mininimally. I don't really have split ends. All of my ends aren't completely even (some places it's a little longer than the others but it don't look trife)though but they are healthy. I only trim my hair for cosmetic reasons-so that it is blunt cut.

Last edited:

STLCoverGirl

I don't know I been at this hair game for a long time now, and I continue to have split ends. I know I use more direct heat than I should, but my ends love to split "just cuz":grin:. I have to trim frequently, I don't really have a schedule, but I don't think twice about trimming my hair.

LovetheLord

I beleive that split ends need to go, it just looks bad and unhealthy. Trust me I hate trimming as much as the next person.

Sometimes I get frustrated with my sister, because she trys to keep her length so bad, but her hair looks so stringy, I love her, and I tell her just to cut a little every month, not a lot, that way she won't be missing so much of her length.

I am not with the stylist telling people to trim off 3 and 4 inches. I tell people to do it in stages, that way they won't miss their length too much!

LovetheLord

Today, I finally relaxed my hair after a 6 month stretch. My sister-n-law has been my stylist for the past 2 years & today I finally decided to let her go. It has been a constant struggle with her. For the last past 2 years I have been stuck at SL & didn't know why. well today she wanted to trim my hair & I said No. When I said NO, she asked why & I said I prefer not to trim this time & smiled. She proceeded to check my ends & stated that my ends were in bad shape. I'm saying to myself, dam all that hard work I've been doing protecting my ends. She told me she would have to cut 3 inches off :eek: . I told her NO. She kept pressuring me & I felt like a 5 year old being scolded. I asked her how do you know if an end is split. She said the best way to tell is when your hair is wet. If the ends are curly or has a wave to it, it's split :ohwell: . So 3 inches of my hair is curly, just doesn't sound right. I think she's full of sh***. I'm done with her. My hair came out nice & I'm almost APL & that's because I didn't cut my ends. That's why i stayed stuck at SL for sooo long. BSL here I come. In the mean time i'll be looking for a new stylists. i'm eyeing the Dominicans.

Good for you a stylist should never pressure someone into doing something they don't want to do. They should just advise! It's your hair!

MissScarlett

I don't know I been at this hair game for a long time now, and I continue to have split ends. I know I use more direct heat than I should, but my ends love to split "just cuz":grin:. I have to trim frequently, I don't really have a schedule, but I don't think twice about trimming my hair.

This is me, I have split ends and I just deal with. I dust whenever is needed. I obviously have more splits when I use direct heat more. Now in the summer, I don't use heat as much and thus probably less split ends. I will see next time I straighten.

northernbelle

My option was not amongst those listed; I trim every 8-12 weeks, when I get a haircut. Split ends is not a hair dilemma with which I contend very much.

Ms Red

I trim once a quarter, which equals out to each season or 4 times a year. If I need it more frequently I will but so far trimming 1/2" or 1" 4x a yr. works out best. I also hate using direct heat on my hair so....:ohwell:

Proudpiscean

:lol: Our hair must think alike because I am plagued with splits- but I rarely use heat! I just dust as needed :ohwell:

Naturallong81

I'm so crazy about splits and knots i clip each hair individualy yeah i'm that crazy. but as soon as i wash my hair the knots are back and my knots lead to splits. AGGGGGGGGGGGHhhh i'm bout to say bump it

prospurr4

Sometimes I think people view uneven hair as raggedy or damaged. Hair does not grow out evenly. For some, trimming is a matter of aesthetic preference.

I agree with this post. I trim once a year, in December, because I wear straight styles around Christmastime and prefer blunts ends. Before my yearly trim, my ends are uneven but not split or damaged. Probably because I moisturize daily, protect my ends from clothing and never use direct heat. The other 11 months of the year, I wear my hair in an updo or curly style, so it doesn't matter if my ends aren't blunt.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I haven't seen split ends for ages. It's been almost 12 months since I last trimmed. Each time I go to my stylist, I just tell her I'm not trimming today and she says "you're not trimming today? Alright." She's cool. She never asks why or anything. She just comments on how thick and long my hair is getting. I moisturise morning and evening with S-Curl and Motions Nourish Leave-In, seal with castor oil and wear my hair up most of the time. That's it.

lady_godiva

I had to trim my ends because they were so raggedy. I actually got the big chop today. At first I was mad that the stylist cut so much, but my hair looks so much better and healthier. My ends were so bad that they were looking course, curly, nappy(whichever you choose) on the ends. I could not take it anymore. I feel much better now even though it did set me back a few months, my hair looks a whole lot better!:yep:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I haven't had a trim in a good 3 years. My ends are far from raggedy, just a little uneven from the first time I stretched and had MAJOR breakage. I've been tempted to get a little dusting done, but I just don't trust the stylists here. I don't think trimming is necessary at all, unless your ends look like your cat's been knawing on them.

honeybadgirl

well, the count down is on!! i'm going to get a trim in about 4 days!! we'll see how it turns out. my ends really need it and i think i'll feel better about my hair. the last time i had a trim was in february