SPLIT ENDS....

how often do you trim

• Total voters

Bint Yusef

I have a question for the naturals here who use the maxligide.

How in the world can your ends look so raggady and split and then then the maxiglide gets them stick straight? Is is that our ends just look like that from wear and tear and arent really damaged? Ive been clipping my ends like a mad woman for months, but now Im thinking they werent really split after flat ironing them.

shra1924

This thread is JUST up my alley. I'm in the valley of decision as we speak. I'm a natural who did the big chop a little over a year ago (tried a tex once since then but I don't count it since it didn't do much). I flat ironed for the first time a couple of months ago. I was happy to see all the length but too mad at those raggedy ends..:wallbash:. Ive been moisturizing, deep conditioning and everything I could think of to keep from cutting them. My ends look ok with my natural styles but everytime I straightened they look sooooo terrible. My hair is soft and silky until the last few inches of the shaft then....ICK! Does this mean they are "split"/damaged and HAVE to be cut, or is this something that can be fixed???

If I feel like I need to do it I do it (or have it done), if not I just leave them be. I actually tried pulling a split hair all the way up. It did go.:ohwell: All the way to the root. I ended up just pulling the strand out.

Bublin

I do a 'seek and destroy' once a week - I just look for split ends and cut them off.

I think i find about 3 or 4 that are just developing every week.

My ends look great for doing this and there will be no need to do a overall trim when i next get a touch up. I think this is a way for me to retain as much length as possible.

Last edited:

sassygirl2

My ends were terrible 'before the Forum'. It's one of the reasons I found it. Now, thanks to jojoba oil, qp mango butter, and profectiv healthy ends my hair has recovered. Now, I trim as needed and keep those ends moisturized.
I won't dismiss length due to raggedy ends. We all understand the fear of trimming. It doesn't look nice and it can't be good for your hair in the long run. Believe me, I know.

hey brownie is jojoba oil good for split ends?

Trace

You know after having splits in my hair too, I searched for answers and this is the only thing that made sense. I am going to try it and see if it helps some. Take a look!
It is from ouidad.com

Dry
By now, you've learned that curly hair is prone to dehydration. A perpetually open cuticle is a magnet for moisture-sappers such as harsh cleansers, heat styling and environmental forces like wind and sun. A dry mane acts "tense"— strands don't relax and fall into healthy curl patterns. If you spend lots of time outside or are addicted to heat styling, weekly or bi-weekly deep conditioning treatments are vital to maintaining a beautiful set of curls.
Brittle
Your tresses are most likely fragile from repeated permanent hair coloring, straightening chemicals and excessive styling product buildup. Just as you cleanse your face of makeup and dirt to prevent clogged pores, you must rid the hair of outside elements, such as silicones, waxes and oils that may stifle the hair shaft. Styling is a real challenge with brittle hair because it doesn't want to fall into a shape— it behaves lifelessly despite careful blowdrying or use of a curling iron. Give your hair a vacation from any chemical processes and treat it to weekly conditioning treatments to restore its lost moisture and nutrients and rebuild its strength. Fortunately, this level of damage is rare.
Split Ends
Every mane curly, straight, short, long is susceptible to split ends. Strands become dry and "empty" from a variety of assaults, including the environment, frequent heat styling, and harsh cleansers. In this condition, the cuticle remains open and feathery. These tiny raised layers are actually split ends, also called flyaways. They are weightless and lift away from the cuticle creating that halo of frizz. Contrary to popular belief, split ends are found all over the hair and CANNOT be fixed with cutting. The best treatment for split ends is to feed your hair, just like your skin. A nourished hair shaft will have enough internal weight to keep the cuticle closed so that each curl is smooth. Clearly, trimming split ends is not an option— you might as well shave your head. Split ends can appear anywhere so frequent deep conditioning is the only way to prevent them. Note: You'll see the most flyaways in the winter when the hair is prone to extreme dryness. For a quick fix, spray tresses with a leave-in conditioner to quench your manes thirst.

Great information!!!!!!!!!!! The only question I have is what do you use to moisturize you hair when it's flat ironed? When I press/flat iron my hair I usually keep it straight for two weeks. What I've learned is that oil is a sealant and not a moisturizer, so what products are you all using to keep dry hair moist?

honeybadgirl

i was thinking about this thread since it has been almost 2yrs since i 1st posted it. its been over a year since i had a trim and my hair is definitely apl almost hitting bsl!!! in my experience i've come to realize that you dont have to have trims routinely to achieve length. i get it now and although my hair doesnt have that blunt, defined ends, i dont need it to! my styles dont require it. all i keep hearing from others are, your hair is really getting long, it looks so healthy etc etc.
my last trim was in feb of 08 when my stylist "trimmed" me from almost apl to just past my shoulders. after that, i said thats enough!!! i do plan on dusting my ends myself soon.
just wanted to give an update on my split ends thread.
how is your hair doing?? :)

lilsparkle825

i trimmed in january for the first time since my BC in june of 08...and a month later i straightened my hair (no heat between then) and my ends were raggedy again! i did NOT trim again, i just braided it up...but it did help me determine that the culprit is my beloved pony puff. :( i'm low heat, i wear my hair up, i DC/cowash a lot, i don't fry it, and i still get split ends...so i think i will start getting trims every 3 months. i would much rather have healthy APL hair with really nice ends than BSL with dry raggedy ends. they also mess with my swang, and we can't have that!

Mimi22

I have a question for the naturals here who use the maxligide.

How in the world can your ends look so raggady and split and then then the maxiglide gets them stick straight? Is is that our ends just look like that from wear and tear and arent really damaged? Ive been clipping my ends like a mad woman for months, but now Im thinking they werent really split after flat ironing them.

:nono: I have this problem and I have no answer to it! Hopefully, someone else will chime in!

honeybadgirl

:nono: I have this problem and I have no answer to it! Hopefully, someone else will chime in!

i'm not natural anymore but it would be a totally different story with my ends when i glided the flat iron over them. they had a whole different look!!:look:
so when i did begin to dust my own ends, i flat ironed 1st! still do actually:yep: