Still experiencing some breakage ...

Cleo

I'm not sure why /images/graemlins/mad.gif because I regularly (every other week) do protein treatments always followed with KeraCare Humecto.
I don't want to use Aphogee (sounds too scary for me, and it's not that severe) and CPR doesn't seem to stop the short hairs from appearing /images/graemlins/whyme.gif. After the first use my hair feels good and I noticed a small improvement, but then if I try to use it again (the following wash) my hair feels coated (build up), and I wash it again with KeraCare so that it feels smooth again. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I need some advice. I've been using GPB for about 2 months (about 4 times) and although I like it, it hasn't stopped the breakage. Is it too early to tell?? I had previously been using Keraphix, but still experienced some. ...Should I use the protein every week until I see a difference? Should I sleep with it in (GPB or Keraphixx)?? Please help, I know some of you ladies say you don't have any breakage, what am I doing wrong? /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Integrity

i think the protein treatments are too much! protein needs to be kept to a minimum of once a month. is your hair dry?? maybe you need to moisturize it more often?

pebbles

Hi Cleo2377,

Why do you do protein treatments every week? Is that your regular routine? If it is, it may be too much protein. I use a protein conditioner once a month. Aphogee I only use if I'm having extreme breakage. Too much protein will dry your hair out. I would not recommend sleeping with a protein treatment in your hair. I think that's too much. I get shedding now and then, but I don't stress it too much. The winter is brutal on my hair. I continue to do my protein treatments monthly. /images/graemlins/user.gif Tell me what your regular routine is every week. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cleo

It's dry sometimes, but I put leave-in moisturizer in every other day or when I feel it's dry (mostly the ends).

The protein conditioners are not the intense kind like Aphogee or Emergencee, but the kind that are safe to use every other week to strengthen the hair (GPB and Keraphix).

I moisturize (Humecto) every time I wash and follow with a leave it moisturizer. I don't know why I have this problem /images/graemlins/confused.gif

NayNay

Well I shed small ends when my hair is very dry. What do you use to moisturize your hair? How often do you use it? Do you emphasize the ends? Perhaps you need to moisturize it every day. Also look at the ingredients in your leave in conditioner. They also can contain a lot of proteins depending on the brand. How often do you strip your hair? Protein can also build up on the hair.
Some ladies use protein every wash (Motions CPR) or every other wash and have no problems. Do you rinse the protein out thouroughly (not in a sink) in the shower??

Cleo

Hi Pebbles /images/graemlins/wave.gif. I currently only do a protein conditioner every other week. I was doing this to increase the elasticity of my hair (which is fragile). Every week I wash (KeraCare) and condition for 20 minutes (Humecto). Every other week I do the protein (Currently GPB) under the dryer for 45 minutes, followed by the Humecto for 20 minutes. After I rinse and lightly towel dry (I lay the towel on my head for a minute) I spray in the leave-in moisturizer and detangler (Elasta QP H-2 or Pantene Detangling).

When I used the CPR last month to stop the minimal breakage (I don't mind the shedding), I saw minute improvement so I decided to try it again the following week and it made my hair feel wierd and not soft.

Cleo

I use H-Two, a leave it moisturizer as needed to moisturize my hair (sometimes every day). I concentrate on the ends when I do it, and if it feels dry still, I put a dab of Mango butter on the ends (to heavy to use everyday on my hair). I strip my hair with clarifier every few months. I wash and condition my hair in the shower. I wear my hair down 80% of the time. I've been wearing it up more since it's cold.

pebbles

Hey Cleo,

Try cutting back on the protein treatments. I know you want to increase strength on your hair, but you can end up doing the opposite with too many protein treatments.

Judging from what you have listed as your regular products,I don't see why else you would be experiencing much breakage. You're using really good products.

Protein treatments, as a general rule, should be used once every 4-6 weeks to give strength to hair. Sometimes people do them more frequently if they are experiencing a lot of breakage for a short period of time. Ex: once a week for a month, then stop.

In your case, I would be inclined to say that you're hair needs a break from such frequent protein treatments. This is a case of too much of a good thing. You know what I mean? Try to do them less frequently and see what happens. Keep me posted. /images/graemlins/user.gif

Cleo

Yeah I see what your saying /images/graemlins/smile.gif I will try that and keep you posted. Thanks Pebbles.

tiff22

I am experiencing bad breakage in the back of my hair because I was wearing a wool scarve with my coat. The hair in the middle and top of my head is covering the thin to no hair in the back of my head. Should I use alphogee for my entire head or just the back? Any suggestions will do.

pebbles

You should distribute the Aphogee evenly throughout your whole head. Don't use the Aphogee frequently because it's very strong. Once every 4 to 6 weeks should do it. HTH /images/graemlins/weird.gif