straight hair in humid weather?

curlygirl

Hi,
I'm new to this site--I just love it!
My 3b/3c hair has to be bone dry before it will look silky.
Does anyone have styling tips for a silky straight look, even in a humid climate?
p.s.-my hair takes >4 hours to dry under a hood--so I usually just wear it curly.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Hi and Welcome, I don't have an answer for you but I hated for your post not to get answered. Someone will come in and help you out.

Kha

Welcome! I believe I have that same hair type as you and I always had that problem in humid weather. I no longer straighten my hair and that is one of the reasons why...

Are you relaxed or natural?

MizAvalon

Hi curlygirl! I'm sorry I don't have an answer, I wouldn't mind knowing the answer myself. Welcome though, nice to meet you!

Lorraine

Welcome, CurlyGirl. I believe we have the same hair type. I am relaxed and like Khalesta wear my hair curly on most days to avoid battling the weather.

When I wear my hair straight I wrap it at night with a lot of KeraCare hair lotion. In the morning I apply a bit more to smooth it out. I want to get my hands on AlfaParf's Smoothing Gel to get it under control.

buffalosoldier

When I figure that out I will bottle it and turn myself into a millionaire

I usually wear my hair curly too but lately I've been doing rollersets then curling it and I like the results. Have you tried the ceramic appliances? I have the chi curling iron and I like it.

Te'TahHead

BUMP.

I am a 4b/c and I have a real problem keeping my hiair str8 in humidity. I wear it and the curl falls and my hair looks stringy and frizzy.

Help!

MissScarlett

I just stopped fighting it and wear my hair curly in warm/hot/humid months. I got tired of looking like a frizz ball when I walked out of the house:nono:

glamazon386

You can add a little curl wax. It kept my hair straight in 80 degree weather. I didn't like the way it weighed the hair down though. :ohwell:

Te'TahHead

Okay, so Miss Scarlet I don't have curly hair.. so now what?

Glamazon, what is curl wax? Are you speaking of the one that is thick and red that used to be used while flat ironing.

Ballerina_Bun

I don't know if it will be of any use in hot humid weather, but since I have been using shikakai/amla, my hair has been remarkable.

I have been out on the rain numerous times and my hair never reverted :blush:! I do however spray on a leave-in and then lightly and I stress lightly add some serum and then proceed to aa air dried ponytail roller set
(5 pony tails). Once dry, I used to flat iron the roots. I haven't had to do that lately either :grin: . I have been transitioning, so there is a lot that could have reverted in the rain :darkcloud: .

Before my current regimen, if I went out into the rain, you could pretty much call it a day, so to speak. Now I only flat iron the roots if I want it to look absolutely bone straight.

HTH

glamazon386

Okay, so Miss Scarlet I don't have curly hair.. so now what?

Glamazon, what is curl wax? Are you speaking of the one that is thick and red that used to be used while flat ironing.

No. I used the Elasta QP one. It's purple. It's similar to the old Marcel wax but not as thick and heavy. I just used a tiny bit on each section (on dry hair) before I flat ironed. I had gotten my hair flat ironed at the salon the night before and it puffed as soon as I got outside. When I came home I re flat ironed it myself with the curl wax. It stayed straight after that.

I also used it when I used to stretch my relaxers and it kept my roots straight until I washed my hair again. My hair is fine so the slightest bit of grease, oil, wax, anything will pretty much weigh it down.

Golden

I don't know if it will be of any use in hot humid weather, but since I have been using shikakai/amla, my hair has been remarkable.

I have been out on the rain numerous times and my hair never reverted :blush:! I do however spray on a leave-in and then lightly and I stress lightly add some serum and then proceed to aa air dried ponytail roller set
(5 pony tails). Once dry, I used to flat iron the roots. I haven't had to do that lately either :grin: . I have been transitioning, so there is a lot that could have reverted in the rain :darkcloud: .

Before my current regimen, if I went out into the rain, you could pretty much call it a day, so to speak. Now I only flat iron the roots if I want it to look absolutely bone straight.

HTH

Hi ballerina, I would just like to know how you have been using the shikakai/amla. Do you use it the way Candy c uses it? cause I just find it all so complicated and when i put some amla in my hair it came out kinda dry.