Stretching woes..

NessaNessa

I know there is a stretchers support thread, but I wanted to ask a simple question :)

Have any of you ladies noticed the longer you stretch, the more breakage you have? For you ladies who stretch for long periods, do you notice this as well. Also, how do you know when stretching is doing more harm than good? At times, I am unsure if the breakage is due to stretching or protein overload/abscence. Thank ladies :)

lana

Hmmm, well by now I know my hair pretty well. I know how much shedding is "normal" for my head and how much breakage (small hairs that break off) I usually get after manipulating my hair into a style. So if I see more than normal..I usually try a moisturizing treatment..then check my hair by styling it like normal. If there is still more breakage than I like to see (I prefer none!) then I try a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner.

Deep conditioning each time. Anyways I no longer stretch past week 12 unless I plan to deep condition ever single time I wash. If you have a large amount of breakage double check your process to see what could be causing it. If it's not anything on your end then it may be time to touch up your new growth.

I have to say it's easier for me to stretch because I used to be natural for six years. New growth is no big deal to me and I'm texlaxed now so it's easier for me to deal with both textures. Feel free to pm me - if I can help, I will.

tryingto

I stretch 12-18 weeks, and have no breakage, very little shedding, and if I do a trim no shedding, as long as I keep my hair moisturize once it gets dry that is when the trouble begins, stretching has helped my hair a 100% hth

neonbright

I have just normal shedding when I go 8 weeks, but once I go to 12 weeks it is just time to stop for me and get a touch up. I now just got 8 to 10 weeks and my hair loves it just fine.

Neroli

I know there is a stretchers support thread, but I wanted to ask a simple question :)

Have any of you ladies noticed the longer you stretch, the more breakage you have? I think is more prone to breakage cuz there's more of the two textures, eventho I tex-lax. Sooo, the longer I strech, the more time I have to spend on wash days detangling AND once I'm past 12 weeks, I MUST wear my hair in styles that require zero manipulation between washes, usually braids or buns. For you ladies who stretch for long periods, do you notice this as well. Also, how do you know when stretching is doing more harm than good? Well, if its breaking too much, then I either go into a protective style to prevent daily manipulation or I do a touchup. For me, after 12 weeks, I just can't wear my hair down so I have a choice, do a touchup or wear protective style. Simple.At times, I am unsure if the breakage is due to stretching or protein overload/abscence. When I see undo breakage, I do moisturing treatments and stay away from proteins. My solution to breakage is to moisturize and go into protective mode, and my hair ususally bounces back after a couple of weeks. Thank ladies :)

Hope this helps .. .