Stylists that are family members

KathyMay

I just thought about this my dear cousin who give me first relaxer when I was 13, she is a hairdresser. She trimmed my ends this past summer and my hair has been thriving thanks to the trim but I am skepitcal on going to her on a regular basis because she seems more interested in HAIR styling rather than healthy hair. For instance, she keeps her hair in weave all time and I don't see it at all.

How do you ladies feel about going to family members who are hairdressers?

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

Same as any other! If you don't want to sacrifice health for style, don't go to her. Maybe you can teach her some of the stuff you learned on LHCF! Telling her that it will increase her business!

dlewis

I have several family member that are hairdressers and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. My MIL is one of them. Under my care my hair seams to be doing great.

Princess Pie

I've got family members who are stylists, and I never let them near my hair. I'm trying to hang on to what I've got.:look: Healthy hair practices prevail!

Miss.Que

I say you should trust your gut feeling. If you know that she is not concerned with hair health then don't let her become your regular stylist. HTH :)

Starian

See, I'm kind of torn about this one. My cousin is as ghetto as they come, high bouffant bun type styles with spackle and glitter, blood red ponytails, the works. Doesn't care a lick about hair health. Talented stylist though, she can do anything.

But, she did what I asked her to do. I wanted weave glued in. She was skeptical, asking me if I really wanted it, because I already had hair. I said yes, and my hair got jacked up.

I asked her for a rollerset with a deep conditioning treatment and my hair was fine. No argument, no trying to coerce me to get fake braids. :lol:

The only thing I ask in a stylist is that they follow directions, and my cousin did.

I think relatives are way more likely to follow your wishes than a stylist you don't know from Adam.

Pam Pam

dlewis said:
I have several family member that are hairdressers and I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. My MIL is one of them. Under my care my hair seams to be doing great.

Pretty hair. It looks so thick.

I'm so jealous!!!;)

dlewis

Starian, I think just the opposite, relatives tend to do what they want because their you relatives, at least in my experiance.

Thanks Pam Pam:D

Angelicus

My grandmother was a cosmetologist but she never did my hair. I believe that she taught all of her daughters how to do hair, even though they don't have licenses. Their hair always looked nice. They did my hair on special ocassions as a child.

I also have a cousin who does hair very very well but she does not have a license (Hey Peppe!). While she did my hair, it was at it's healthiest. She has hair like mine, thick and beautiful.

Last, my former sister-in-law is a professional stylist and has her own salon. Unfortunately, she did everyone's hair beautifully... except mine. She always had me looking like Bernice Jenkins (i'm not laughing). I will never go to her again-don't care how well other's have turned out!

ubavka123

I trust my BIL wholeheartedly. If I didn't know better, I'd think he was reading up on LHCF in his spare time, because he recommends that I do most of what I learned to do here. He tells me to stretch relaxers, not to relax my fine hair too straight, does minimal trimming unless necessary and so on. I miss him right about now, because there is nothing like a stylist whom you can trust, plus who is in the family. And on top of that, he once said to me, "How could I go home to your sister if I jacked your hair up?" :lol: I think he is just a good stylist anyway, it just helps that he is in the family. :)

Qetesh

I have a few stylists in my family. I don’t mind having them braid my hair which is pretty much all they ever do for me, I wash it myself and all that Jazz and just let them braid It, I never let them cut my hair of give me any chemical treatments. None of them currently work at a shop though, I did let one style it when she was in cosmetology school for some of her projects ext. I also let her style it for special occasions.

sugarose

My aunt is a stylist. Though she subcribes to all of the ghetto hair styles, is bleached blond and all, I got a lot of good hair care advice from her. She's in a different state so I don't go to her, but I would because she knows the difference between hair styles and hair care.

MrsHouston

My sister has her license and does hair for family members and friends sometimes. The most I'll allow her to do is roller set my hair. Her attitude is, "It's just hair, it'll grow back".

:eek:

However, I do have a friend of my husband's family who I let trim my ends and do my roller set sometimes. She understands the concept that it takes a LONG time for hair to grow.

MrsHouston

Princess Pie said:
I've got family members who are stylists, and I never let them near my hair. I'm trying to hang on to what I've got.:look: Healthy hair practices prevail!

I love your bun Princess Pie

Cheleigh

The two family members who were stylists were both focused on hair health, not fantasy styles. My great-aunt kept my press and relaxed hair looking fantastic. I was even able to get bleached blonde streaks from her without any breakage. She was my stylist from birth until I went to college.

My BFF learned from my great-aunt, so she follows the same philosophy. She also has long, healthy hair. As such, I was totally comfortable going to either of them.

My only other long-term stylist kept my hair healthy as well--she was also not a fantasy stylist. I did get a bad relaxer burn from her once though.

None of them were scissor happy either.