Summer Challenge Bi-Weekly Check #2

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I dunno if some of you guys in the challenge say this but every 1st and 15th of every month I am gonna start a thread to discuss everyones progress on the challenge. So here it is: tell us how you are going or just give some words of support. For me, I am on my way to getting about 1 inch per month but parts of my hair is still growing slow at about 1/3 inch per month. I really do think the increased frequency of conditioner washes have helped tremendously. I haven't been consistent with my vitamins and the water and exercise but i am gonna crack down this weekend! Good luck everyone!

Things are going quite well with my hair. The crown area which was always slow to grow is growing very quickly now. I have been taking my vitamins consistently for the last two months. I rinse my hair and apply conditioner 4 times a week and wash my hair 3 times a week. This is the healthiest my hair has been in quite some time. The condition of my hair has greatly improved from following all of the great advice you guys give!
smile.gif

I've been doing protective styles consistently. My hair is doing very well with the Jason Sea Kelp Shampoo and conditioner. I've been doing my entire shampoo from start to finish with distilled water. My hair is feeling really soft and strong.

I have completely stopped flatironing, wrapping and wearing my hair out and have started a wash and go routine that's working for me. I shampoo twice weekly, moisturize every night and wear a simply bun or twist it up in a claw clip.

I've also stopped using my leave-in conditioner and my hair is so much softer (surprise!)

I don't know how much growth I've gotten -- I'm getting a touch-up tomorrow so I'll see if it's any longer but I know it's stronger and healthier. I've been a lot happier with my hair since I stopped wearing it straight.

I hope everybody's having as much success so far!

Well, it's only been a couple of weeks, but so far so good! No setbacks from my relaxer touch-up two weeks ago, thank goodness, so I should be good to go for the rest of the summer!! I'm continuing to take my Biotin and MSM. I've slacked off from the B5 only because that darn pill is so big!! (yuck!!
crazy.gif
) I'm thinking about cutting them in half and taking only half a pill per day. Hmmm.

I'm still washing only weekly. I may start doing conditioner washes every 4 days or so when the weather gets warmer.
smile.gif
For now I'm alternating weekly with roller sets and twist-outs.

I'm so excited because I can feel the new growth waves throughout my hair. My objective for May is 1" & y'all, I think I'm gonna get it
smile.gif

I've slacked off my vits a bit... I take the Ultranoushair & B-complex about once per wk, because the pills are just too dangone big, & the taste of crushed vits
barf.gif
are absolutely horrible. However, I "chew" my Flintstones
laugh.gif
Complete daily & I take CL biotin daily.

I strongly believe that "air drying" through the entire challenge is going to help me achieve my 4" goal. Overall, let me tell ya', I'm sporting a "kool aid" smile because of my success
grin.gif

God Bless Us All,
Peachtree

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and am trying to grow 4" by the end of the summer, but I feel like I am having more set backs than anything. My biggest problem is what to do with my hair after I wash it. I am trying the roller set but when I am done, my roots are very wavy and the rest of my hair is straight....basically, it looks awful and I end up resorting to using my flat iron for just my roots. Before I use to use a round brush and dryer but I am trying to reduce the amount of heat I use on my hair. Also, since I have wavy hair, air drying never worked for me in the past because I end up with big wavy hair that can't be combed.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

i actually started my grow out plan in on april 2nd. its been about a month a half. and im feeling guilty about wanting to relaxer my hair. i usually wait 4 months but (thanks to the biotin ,,maybe and lots of water) i have a tons of new growth, about 2+ inches on unrelaxed hair. im just dying to relax it and see how long it truely is.

I'm making serious progress, but don't get the full effect, since I cannot see my true length because of all of the new growth! It won't straighten and since I've just tried to relax, I'm going to need to wait a little while. My hair has been growing in so thick! One thing I have noticed is that my ends are pretty dry since I've been washing every day. I'm going to move to every other day or so and see how that does me...Other than that, NEVA slacking on the vitamins (although I've run out of aminos), so I think I will have about a good three inches come August. I'm praying for more, but we'll see what the Lord gives me!

I recently (last night) trimmed my ends. I wear my hair in braids, but my ends seem to split constantly. I am going to try braiding my braids 3/4 of the way down, leaving the rest loose (and moisturized), while wearing my silk scarf. I'll try this for a month. I am also into conditioner washing every 3 days. So far so good.

i've been slackin a bit on my vits and feel real guilty coz i really want to get at least 3/4 of an inch a month consistantly and am tryna up my biotin dosage to 7/8 but will see how it goes....i dont kno bout my growth tho coz i'm in cornrwos and cant really see how much growth i have and i had planned on stayin in cornrwosa the whole of summer but got worried last nite wen i looked at my hairlne coz it looks lik it thinnedout a bit....ima try n post a pic in a bit so u can see what i mean and if my hairline has receded for sho then i'll have a curly weave pu tin wen i take this out

p.s. still needa exercise more coz ive been really lazy and am afraid of burnin calories coz i'm tryna gain weight

So far so good, my hair seems healthy to me, I have been keeping up with washimg my hair at least two times a week, the only thing is I have not been taking my vitamins consistently so I need to get back on the ball with that, otherwise I am pleased..
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's only been a couple of weeks, but so far so good! No setbacks from my relaxer touch-up two weeks ago, thank goodness, so I should be good to go for the rest of the summer!! I'm continuing to take my Biotin and MSM. I've slacked off from the B5 only because that darn pill is so big!! (yuck!!
crazy.gif
) I'm thinking about cutting them in half and taking only half a pill per day. Hmmm.

I'm still washing only weekly. I may start doing conditioner washes every 4 days or so when the weather gets warmer.
smile.gif
For now I'm alternating weekly with roller sets and twist-outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What brand of B5 are you using? I wanted to get Twin Labs B5 since Tracy recommended it but I hate having to take big ol horse pills. I have been good with the Puritan Pride Biotin since they are so small and I want to add B5 but if they are too big then forget about it.
crazy.gif
God bless you all.

hi love hair.
i'm so happy right now.
grin.gif
i think you saw my last post about my hair, but for those that didn't let me fill ya in. well i used the appogee treatment mother's day weekend and my hair seeems to be stronger. i don't see as many lil hairs when i'm pickin' out my fro or at the bottom of the tub when i wash. i'm using oilive oil on my scalp every other day and i don't put a shower cap on in the shower so my hair can pick up some moisture. that along with some curl activatior has given me a soft fro.
grin.gif
i also discovered that my moms luster's pink gel doen't have any alchol in it. actually it has amino acids & panthenol so i have been using that to get my edges down and that looks cool.
plus i have been encouraging all the teens to join the summer challenge. check that thread if any of ya'll wanna give people advice.
but before i go i got 2 questions. 1rst how do you prpoerly measure your hair? 2nd i finally found a place in my "hood"
laugh.gif
that sells creme of nature shampoo, but i don't know which once to get!
frown.gif
it's almos as bad as trying to pick out some pantene. what do i use?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i actually started my grow out plan in on april 2nd. its been about a month a half. and im feeling guilty about wanting to relaxer my hair. i usually wait 4 months but (thanks to the biotin ,,maybe and lots of water) i have a tons of new growth, about 2+ inches on unrelaxed hair. im just dying to relax it and see how long it truely is.

[/ QUOTE ] could you tell me about the biotin that you are taking? is in a multivitamin or do you take it alone. by how much has it increase your growth? does it help with breakage? any side effects? sorry for all the questions i just want to make an informed decision.

Well I've been doing great on the daily moisturizing and my weekly con. wash.

Where I've been slacking is:

Water intake
Vitamins
Better food intake (with my new job I find myself skipping breakfast, maybe only eating lunch and then sometimes missing dinner. Poor food intake does not help the hair, lol)

And lack of exercise (for blood circulation)

Today I'm going to sit down and figure out how to develop my schedule so that I can work out, and eat all my meals that I need to eat to meet my caloric intake needs, and of course figure out how to be more consistant with my vitamins.

[ QUOTE ]
What brand of B5 are you using? I wanted to get Twin Labs B5 since Tracy recommended it but I hate having to take big ol horse pills. I have been good with the Puritan Pride Biotin since they are so small and I want to add B5 but if they are too big then forget about it.
crazy.gif
God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Azul,
I'm taking Puritans Pride 500mg B5. Yes, they are horse pills. I seem to have to choke it down. I like the plastic coated capsules better cuz they seem to go down easier. I agree that the PP Biotin tabs are so nice & small! It's a pleasure taking those!!
laugh.gif

I'm washing my hair tonight..It's been a week since my last touch up and so it has the 'just permed'-straight look going..I'm dying to see how it will fluff out.

I've been taking my vitamins consistently..I'm very proud to say..
clap.gif
I have a lot more energy and I've been eating healthy (more good foods, less junk food). I've also been walking more and doing more. I've also been drinking more water..However, I'm still having problems with skipping breakfast..I'm going to try to remedy that..
nono.gif

Since I've gotten a touch up though, I find it difficult to do protective styles----the hair tends to be too straight and limp and I don't want any breakage. But this week, I will be doing so with the exception of Thursday (honors ceremony) and next week for my graduation.

I've been fairly consistent with vitamin and water intake, but not as consistent with the exercise. I will begin playing tennis with my husband each morning, jog with the baby in the afternoon, and hit our B-ball court with the kids in the evening. We also have a small home gym so I am commiting to using it. I have been altenating between rinsing and conditioner washes each day and my growth is outrageous. I had a really bad bout with tangles until Peachtree reminded me to do my hot oil treatments, no longer any problems. I'm currently at chin legnth with what appears to be at least 1 1/2 inches of new growth and I'm not relaxing until July 11th ,the day before my B-day. I hope to be back to shoulder length by the end of the summer. I know that once I am able to use protective hairstyles my hair is really going to take off. I'm loving my new growth and am begining to think that maybe I have typed my hair all wrong because this new growth has very soft loose waves. I don't know I'm just happy. My girls hair is doing great as well, both of them are now at the mid back range the eldest about and 1 1/2 away from the bottom of bra strap and she is 5'5 , the younger one has no bra strap but it's pretty long. My little one's curls have become so loose and her hair is really growing. I plan to post pictures of all of our hair soon. You guys seem to be doing very well too, so keep up the good work!

Well its been 3 weeks since my last touch up. I plan to be getting micros in june so until then I am just doin the ponytail tingy!! I will also wear cornrows for a week or two. I wash my hair every sat or sun and conditioner wash only every other time with Suave cocunut. I airdry my hair and spray on s-curl. I don't plan to get another relaxer to the beginning of Aug. Wish me luck ladies!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I had a really bad bout with tangles until Peachtree reminded me to do my hot oil treatments, no longer any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wonderful news Ginn
smile.gif

Hello peeps I recieved over a inch of new groweth this week...amzing huh....But for some reason Im not sure if the back grew that much...anyways I hope everyone has had has much luck as me... the keyword to that is luck

Peach tree-- whats this i hear about tangles and hot oil treatments? I get nasty tangles and I was wondering how often I should do this and how?

And Shree-- you know you gottta tell us how you got 1 inch of growth in a week!

Luvhair, I believe Ginn is referring to a post in which I commented that using VO5 hot oil before shampooing gave my hair extra "slippage" during my comb outs. When I don't pre-treat, then I have to tackle with the "tangles"...ugh!

Well, I'm doing pretty well. My hair seemed to grow about 3/4 of an inch in most places( closer to a half on the sides) since my last touch up on April 19th. It seems healthier, too. I'm losing less hair after washing or rinsing it. I take Flintstones(like Peachtree), Biotin, Pantothenic acid, MSM, Flax,and Cod liver. I tried Brewer's yeast, but I cannot bear to drink the powdered stuff. I conditioner wash 1x and wash w/poo 1X aweek. My hair feels softer and looks shinier than before. One thing, my hair seems to get more tangled and break more where it's been colored (highlights). Will it help if I rinse it darker, or is that just one of Mommy's wives tales?

[ QUOTE ]
I take Flintstones (like Peachtree) ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh Melodee, we might start a trend here
laugh.gif
! To be vits, they're pretty tasty
lick.gif
!!

Everything is going well so far. I have been taking my vitamins and I only used heat once in these two weeks which is a big improvement for me. I did about four conditioner washes using Suave the past week and just wore it wavy with the S-curl. This really helped to thicken my hair a lot!!!!

I am on my way!!!!!!

Everything is going well, except I need to hire someone else to measure my hair. The person I have now(MOM), keeps changing my measurements
mad.gif
. I will double what I paid my last measurer, which was $O
grin.gif
. Anyway, after 4 months I decided to get my re-touch. I had 3 inches of new growth---HAD---I let my stylist trim off 1 inch, which I'm not mad since it has been over 9 months since my last trim. So, I am taking my vits, drinking more h2o, and my dieting has been pretty good, but I'm still slow with my exercising
crazy.gif
. And I've been very good with my hair regimen for the summer challenge.

Happy growing Ladies!!

well i'd say that my hair is doing really well, i have braids now and have to keep them in for one more week. i've been taking 3 PP biotins daily but i just up'd my dosage to 4. and i take 3 amino 1500's. i drink alot of water and i go running about once or twice a week, i'm kinda lazy on the excersizing part but i need to get on track. i rince my hair daily and put a little but of mane n tail moisturizing conditioner in it and leave it in. my hair grew about
1-1 1/4 inches in some places. i'm trying to get to bra strap at the end of the summer.

Ladiez so far so good. I'v been doing con. washes every other night and misting my hair with water every day. I've been drying my hair with the ponytail method to tame the new growth (last touchup was March 17!) and I plan on getting my next touchup withinthe next two weeks, and thatz only b/c prom is rite around the corner. I've been using scurl, castor oil, and mango butter(for my ends only) daily. My hair is so soft and manageable that I don't know what to do with myself
drunk.gif
. I'll keep u guyz updated when i get my touchup!

Back