Super Grow Out Challenge **Updates Months 8&9&10** catching up!!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
_lovelyness said:
For some reason, I think I've failed this challenge.I doubt i'll reach my goal of bra-strap before the end of the year :(
I just can't see the progress. Maybe it's because I've not seen what my hair looks like bone straight, since april.
I'm quite disappointed, but maybe I'm just over-reacting.. I don't really know.
* I noticed that my growth rate was really slow during the summer, so I didn't see much progress.
* I also slacked with my vitamins.
* Besides, I don't have access to all the products people are raving about because in paris you can't even find nexxus or 70% of the products you guys talk about. Ppl are still using luster's pink oil & dark & lovely.
Maybe if I had some surge or MTG, it would have made a noticeable difference. I just have to make due with sulphur 8 (it does seem to help a little tho').
In september I moved to england for my studies , so maybe I'll have more luck when I go to london.
I'm taking these braids out in a week or two. There seems to be a good amount of growth underneath. I think the scalp massages, sulphur 8 and biomass lotion have helped.Hopefully, when I relax my hair, it won't be too far from brastrap.
I def. understand how you feel. I was supposed to have reached brastrap by the end of this year too. You know what. I won't and I have accepted that. I am just fine.

Let's just keep on pushing and stay consistent with whatever your regemin is. Sometimes progress is slow but sure. Keep hanging in there and even though your growth seems slow just work on retaing what you get. I also think that you will be seeing a little progress after you take out the braids. That progress will more than likely put you somewhere closer to your goal. Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sharee said:
Wow missed you DSD!!!

Anyway, I did a 3-4 inch cut in August and I just had my 1 yr anniversary this month. I did not retain a lot of length but I am really happy at the condition of my hair compared to last year. HHG
Thank you!!

Nothing wrong with having healthy hair!! That's were it all starts.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
DatJerseyDyme said:
I had a relaxer about a week and a half ago. I reached my next goal of bottom bra strap..and I haven't made another goal yet. My latest pics are in my siggy. That's October 03, 04 and 05. I didn't retain that much length this last year, but I've been pleased.

I'm on the same regimine, but plan to start deep conditioning faithfully once or twice a week :)
Wonderful to hear! Keep up the good work!;)

sweetcakes14

Well for the past two months, my hair has been shedding like crazy. I can't understand what's causing it. And it's also been very tangled after I wash it! I'm getting a relaxer this weekend (12 weeks), so I'm not sure how much progress I'm going to see. I am progressing towards armpit length, but I won't make brastrap length at the start of 2006, although I'm sure I will get there sometime during the year. For most of the year, my hair has been in a bun, except for the occasional 1-2 times a month when it's out, but that has been very rare. I find myself getting tired of always worrying about my hair though and I think I'm going to stop concentrating on the length and focus on making sure that it's strong and healthy. Granted, my hair is the healthiest its ever been, but I think I'm obsessing too much over length. The biggest change has been airdrying, which I do twice a week when I CW. I rollerset my hair once a week when I do my moisturizing or protein treatments. I'm wonderng if the airdrying is what's contributing to the tangles. I'm going to trying doing rollerset throughout and see if that helps.

But I'm going to remain positive and I'm sure sometime next year, my hair will be getting stuck in my brastraps!!!!!!

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
LadyZ said:
Hi DSD,
I am glad to hear from you...
I am doing better than I was last year at this time...
I am hoping to gain some more length.. but since the weather has changed... I am fighting some shedding... I did a mini trim and that helped for a short while, I did a protein treatment and that helped for a short time also... I am also stretching and that is when the shedding starts too.... Well, I will get a touch-up next week and time will tell if the shedding took a toll or not:cry: ... Either way, I will continue to treat my hair good... I have become a slave to it:look: ... because it will rebel on me in a moments notice:cry3: :angry2: :whyme: ...

So now, I am starting my own challenge... MTG until I reach (or come near) brastrap length... I know it's cheating to use this stuff:naughty: :bud: :Devil: ... but, oh well...

DSD, please don't stay away:eek: ... You are our mentor:notworthy :yep: :kisses:

I appreciate, what you have done for all of us....
I am sorry I was away so long but you know life...

Just keep being good to your hair and it will reward you 10 times over. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
MizAvalon said:
Hey DSD! :wave:

I'm still on the challenge and doing well. I haven't trimmed in almost a year and hope to be able to go for about another 6 months. I'm 19 weeks post relaxer so I'm not exactly sure how long my hair is, but I hope it's pretty close to waist length. I'll know next week when I touch up.
OOOOOoooo, almost waist length. You grow girl!! You may already be there.;)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
hopeful said:
DSD is back!!:yay: :cheers: :yay: Whoo hoo! I'm doing pretty good. Fully relaxed now and finally at neck-length. Working on a new regimen now for my relaxed hair. I bought some MTG, mixed with CD Khoret Amen oil and HotSix and the smell didn't bother me. Only used it once so far. Hoping it will thicken up my kitchen/nape area. Even though the nape area is growing slowly it is still thinner (and dryer) than the rest of my hair. Overall I am pleased with my progress. I figure if I could make the kind of progress I have made over a 10-month period, in another 10 months my hair could be close to shoulder-length. A good regimen, a cute protective style and patience is key I guess.
You said it patience. You hair looks great!! Keep up the good work;)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
bronzehair said:
i honestly don't know how my hair is progressing....it looks longer but when i measure it i don't see much progress.I'm just gonna stop measuring and let it do it's thing oh and i'm doing protective styles till around april because it's really cold over here already
I thought I was the only one with the measuring problem. I am sure your hair is progressing just fine especially if it is doing things it hasn't done before.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
CORBINS said:
Hello Everyone: It's nice to know that you're still lurking DSD! I know we all get busy, but it's good to see you're still here.
My progress is coming along great. I've been in braids since May. I re-braid the braids along my edges almost every week, and the crown whenever I notice that they are growing too long. So far I have retained about 2.5 inches of growth. Braids are really working for me, but I've learned over the years how to wear them successfully without breakage along my edges and how to keep my hair moist and clean. I've been putting on MTG once a week and Surge with braid spray every day. My hair was 3.5 inches last hear and I've gained 5 inches so far so I'm really happy.
Wow! Sounds like you got this hair thing down pact. Keep up the good work!:)

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
sweetcakes14 said:
Well for the past two months, my hair has been shedding like crazy. I can't understand what's causing it. And it's also been very tangled after I wash it! I'm getting a relaxer this weekend (12 weeks), so I'm not sure how much progress I'm going to see. I am progressing towards armpit length, but I won't make brastrap length at the start of 2006, although I'm sure I will get there sometime during the year. For most of the year, my hair has been in a bun, except for the occasional 1-2 times a month when it's out, but that has been very rare. I find myself getting tired of always worrying about my hair though and I think I'm going to stop concentrating on the length and focus on making sure that it's strong and healthy. Granted, my hair is the healthiest its ever been, but I think I'm obsessing too much over length. The biggest change has been airdrying, which I do twice a week when I CW. I rollerset my hair once a week when I do my moisturizing or protein treatments. I'm wonderng if the airdrying is what's contributing to the tangles. I'm going to trying doing rollerset throughout and see if that helps.

But I'm going to remain positive and I'm sure sometime next year, my hair will be getting stuck in my brastraps!!!!!!
You said everything in you post but let me add this: This is my motto "Healthy and Vibrant is the key. Length will eventually come for me. I have decided to just let my hair 'be'."

No stress.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Hey Everyone! This year has been a busy one so far! My hair is doing alright but for some reason the lower middle part of my head grows the slowest. I'm not impressed....on the other hand I have tons of new growth from my 11 week stretch so far but I don't know if I can make it to 16 weeks. I can barely comb through it or do anything to my hair at all. I have been taking my vitamins but have neglected to use my MTG. I hope when I relax I will be armpit length. That's my goal by the end of the year. I will be posting pics soon to show my progress if any.

~Maybe you ladies can help me.....
Since the colder weather started I have been experiencing more shedding (seasonal) how do i get it to stop. Keraphix dosen't work for me and I am thinking about just doing a protein treatment with Emergencee? Any suggestions? What do you think?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Hey Everyone! This year has been a busy one so far! My hair is doing alright but for some reason the lower middle part of my head grows the slowest. I'm not impressed....on the other hand I have tons of new growth from my 11 week stretch so far but I don't know if I can make it to 16 weeks. I can barely comb through it or do anything to my hair at all. I have been taking my vitamins but have neglected to use my MTG. I hope when I relax I will be armpit length. That's my goal by the end of the year. I will be posting pics soon to show my progress if any.

Since the colder weather started I have been experiencing more shedding (seasonal) how do i get it to stop? Keraphix dosen't work for me and I am thinking about just doing a protein treatment with Emergencee? Any suggestions? What do you think?

UmSumayyah

My hair is retaining length, but still breaking. :mad:
The only thing I can think of is that I've been using a flatiron to trim it ever since my "incident" with the stylist 2 years ago. I don't know when I'll screw up enough courage to trim it again, but when I do I plan to go back to my old method--putting hair in twists, trimming each twist as I go. Yah, it won't be even but I never wear it straight anyway so that won't matter.

CatSuga

See photo in signature.

I'm going to stop with the olive oil treatment. It's alright, but my hair is making due with just VO5 and StaSofFro spray. I also do my own edge ups now. Damn barbers are not going to shave me up to the ear anymore!
Oh yeah, I've switched gels. I use the pink Fantasia IC.

YummyC

Glad you're back DSD!! I was wondering about you....

Well I am in a better spot than I was last year, but I still have trouble with tang;es, shedding and a little breakage. My last realxer was on August 27, and I'm trying to do the Christmas stretch. My hair has gotten thicker in some areas, but the front just won't cooperate. I slacked off on the vitamins a little bit and thats when the shedding started i think. I have only worn my hair down twice this entire year. buns are my best friends. My hair lays on my shoulders now and if i move it towards the front, it lays on my collar bone so i guess I'm making progress.
I do have a question....what exactly should I be doing to make sure that my hair gets healthier? Besides eating right and exercise I already do that. TIA

Growingitlong

Still keeping the struggle. I have not gain much if any. My hair still measures the saame. I really don't know what to do. It does not seem that I am retaining any length. I do all the right things. But some how the length keeps eluding me.

Lately, I have started combing my hair like once a week when I wash casue that is the only thing I could see that would probably be hindering my progress. SO I am hoping to see some kinda of improvements in length retention at the end of the year when I do my next touch up.

But never mind that ladies. For those how are not seeing much progress 'like me' keep trying untill you get the formula that fits you. And for those who have achieved, congratulations on your progress!

pink_flower

Nice to see you DSD!

I'm doing okay. My goal is below BSL by the end of year. Right now its in the middle of my bra,so a solid inch would be nice :yep:

MonaLisa

dontspeakdefeat said:
Hey Mona, where have you been??

I thought you had already made it to armpit. I think you will see it by the end of this year. You probably just got hair anorexia.

Hey Girlie....:wave:

I'm floating around...

...I'll PM u after I have some new pics...and we can assess the hair sitch...but...it looks like my hair ain't doin much...:ohwell:

but I'm still here cheering others on...:grin:

WaterMoccasin

Yeah so um...not much happenin' over here.
I've lost more than I've gained this year (cuts/trims, breakage) so this year- not so great.:perplexed

Congrats to those of you doing well though! Keep the faith everyone!
Me, I've resigned to working it out for next year...although I'll be happy if I gain a solid inch by the end of this year! :D I guess there's still hope!:look:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
vikkisecret said:

Since the colder weather started I have been experiencing more shedding (seasonal) how do i get it to stop? Keraphix dosen't work for me and I am thinking about just doing a protein treatment with Emergencee? Any suggestions? What do you think?
Is there really anything we can do for seasonal shedding?? I wish you luck on reaching your armpit goal. I am sure you will ge there when you relax. Good Luck!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
UmSumayyah said:
My hair is retaining length, but still breaking. :mad:
The only thing I can think of is that I've been using a flatiron to trim it ever since my "incident" with the stylist 2 years ago. I don't know when I'll screw up enough courage to trim it again, but when I do I plan to go back to my old method--putting hair in twists, trimming each twist as I go. Yah, it won't be even but I never wear it straight anyway so that won't matter.
Heat just may be your culprit. If doing the trims while your hair is twisted is what works best then by all means keep doing it!! HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
CatSuga said:
See photo in signature.

I'm going to stop with the olive oil treatment. It's alright, but my hair is making due with just VO5 and StaSofFro spray. I also do my own edge ups now. Damn barbers are not going to shave me up to the ear anymore!
Oh yeah, I've switched gels. I use the pink Fantasia IC.
Your hair looks great and it has really grown. Keep up the good work!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
YummyC said:
Glad you're back DSD!! I was wondering about you....

Well I am in a better spot than I was last year, but I still have trouble with tang;es, shedding and a little breakage. My last realxer was on August 27, and I'm trying to do the Christmas stretch. My hair has gotten thicker in some areas, but the front just won't cooperate. I slacked off on the vitamins a little bit and thats when the shedding started i think. I have only worn my hair down twice this entire year. buns are my best friends. My hair lays on my shoulders now and if i move it towards the front, it lays on my collar bone so i guess I'm making progress.
I do have a question....what exactly should I be doing to make sure that my hair gets healthier? Besides eating right and exercise I already do that. TIA
Thanks!!

Just keep your hair moisturized and make sure to do your deep conditioning. That should help keep your hair healthy in addition to the vits.

I commend you for bunning it up all the time. Sounds like your hair is really growing well. Keep up the good work!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Growingitlong said:
Still keeping the struggle. I have not gain much if any. My hair still measures the saame. I really don't know what to do. It does not seem that I am retaining any length. I do all the right things. But some how the length keeps eluding me.

Lately, I have started combing my hair like once a week when I wash casue that is the only thing I could see that would probably be hindering my progress. SO I am hoping to see some kinda of improvements in length retention at the end of the year when I do my next touch up.

But never mind that ladies. For those how are not seeing much progress 'like me' keep trying untill you get the formula that fits you. And for those who have achieved, congratulations on your progress!
Thanks for the encouragement. I am sort of in your same boat but I am keeping my eyes on the prize. So should you. You probably are retaining length, just not as much as you would like. If you hair is behaving differently and doing things that it didn't do before you are retaining.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
pink_flower said:
Nice to see you DSD!

I'm doing okay. My goal is below BSL by the end of year. Right now its in the middle of my bra,so a solid inch would be nice :yep:
Thanks!!
Well, it sounds like you are almost there. HHG

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
MonaLisa said:
Hey Girlie....:wave:

I'm floating around...

...I'll PM u after I have some new pics...and we can assess the hair sitch...but...it looks like my hair ain't doin much...:ohwell:

but I'm still here cheering others on...:grin:
Girl, you know you have hair anorexia. I can't wait to see the pics. Don't forget!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
BahamaMama said:
Yeah so um...not much happenin' over here.
I've lost more than I've gained this year (cuts/trims, breakage) so this year- not so great.:perplexed

Congrats to those of you doing well though! Keep the faith everyone!
Me, I've resigned to working it out for next year...although I'll be happy if I gain a solid inch by the end of this year! :D I guess there's still hope!:look:
There is always hope!! My year wasn't that great either but I see great things for next year!! HHG