***Super Grow Out Challenge Update Months 10 & 11***

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi Ladies! :wave:

Time is winding down for the SGO Challenge of 2005. It seems as if this year has flown past. So much has happened. I haven't had as much time to concentrate on my hair but it's healthy. I put a small update in my album.

How is everyone else doing? I would love to hear you stories.

I combined the updates for October and November.

We will have one more update at the beginning of 2006. This update should include:

1. Regemin for 2005
2. Best and worst of 2005
3. What type of hairstyles got you through this year
4. Staple products
5. Beginning pics and ending pics
6. Do you feel as if you have been successful this year, regardless of whether you have gained, lost or just stayed the same in length?

CORBINS

Hello Ladies! I am glad that this year is almost over!!! I have been wearing braids since May of this year. Everything is going great. I went from 5 inches of hair to 9 inches. I plan on wearing my braids until May of next year. I'm not sure if I can because I really want to see how my hair looks. I've been rebraiding, moisturizing and deep conditioning faithfully. Hopefully I will have good results next year.

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

Well I have made alot of progress. I have an update in my album but I don't have any pictures from the first month of this challenge. Last year November I cut my hair to shoulder length (it was supposed to be a trim.....long story). Anyway it is a year later and my hair is getting closer to bra strap. I was hoping that I would be at bra strap by the end of this challenge. I don't know if that is going to happen but I am happy with my progress either way. Thanks DSD for all of the encouragement.

Healthb4Length

Hey DSD! Things have been going okay, I've been mainly keeping it braided and I have used heat several times but no damage. I'm keeping it fairly simple, when I'm out of braids, I make sure I do my weekly DC, CW once a week, keep my ends oiled...BTW I just trimmed 2 inches off my ends cause they were driving me crazy! I still didn't like the way my ends looked afterwards so I'm on the cut for a really cut scissor because I think mine got dull. I've decided that after each braid session I will be doing mini trims to get rid of bad ends.

Victorian

old head
I can't believe the challenge is almost over already. It went by so fast!! I'm still doing my same regimen that I've been doing since the big chop: Washing daily and deep conditioning weekly. I'm really excited about my growth this year :trampolin In the past I've always gotten 3-4 inches in a year, but this year I'll have over 6! Woo! Thanks LHCF! :weird:

lovelymissyoli

This is the longest challenge that I’ve participated in where I haven’t fallen off, but rather stayed consistent :clap:.

So far I’m still transitioning, conditioner washing regularly and keeping my hair protected. One thing that I have changed during this challenge is discontinuing getting my hair pressed. I wasn’t retaining length with press & curls because every two months I lost ½” of growth due to my hairdresser trimming my hair to make the style look even. Also, these presses were ruining my new growth (heat damage to the temples) and I don’t want that!

Right now I’m focused on keeping my hair cornrowed in order to retain as much length as possible, and to combat dryness this winter. I really want to see how far I’ve come when we post our final results in January so I’ll blow dry my hair for the occasion, or break out the flat iron just on one section of my hair --- before I braid it up again of course :). Anyways, I wish all you ladies the best of luck. Happy hair growing :antlers:.

DatJerseyDyme

I can't believe the year is almost over already! This is the first year I've actually FELT like I made progress :) I've been slacking on my deep conditioning and really really slacking on my moisturizing, but I'm going to try to go out with a bang and do it right!

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I've made some progress. This is my first year on the forum, so I had a couple of bumps along the way. I've never self relaxed before. I'm just happy about the information I've accumalted. Anyway. My hair is growing well, and my ponytail is looking thicker. I plan on wearing braids for about six months.

bronzehair

in the beginning of the year i had some major setbacks(3 inches gone due to breakage) but now i think i'm doing alright i'm at brastrap and since the breakage in feb i've gained over 5 inches so i can't complain

hopeful

Hey DSD, I'm doing fine. My hair if finally long enough to wear a phony pony--yeah! I'm still working out my routine, I think next year will be my year because I plan to stay fully relaxed and not make any major changes, no coloring, no transitioning, etc. so I should be able to settle into a good routine and I hope to be at shoulder-length by the end of 2006. As for your final update I know I will not be able to post because I can't answer all those questions:perplexed--my brain will be on overload for the next few months as I put my house on the market, close on my new home in California and start furnishing it off, so this is my final post on the 2005 Super Grow Out Challenge. Hope there will be 2006 Challenge--I will be all over that!

ETA: Thanks for doing this challenge DSD, you are a sweetheart!:)

Last edited:

carameldiva

My hair is doing great- i am currently experiencing a growth spurt( not only have i noticed but others have noticed too). I have learned that liquid aloe vera, glycerin, rosemary oil and castor oil are my staples. i have begun rotating products and clarifying. I only do protein treatments when needed. I am deep conditioning weekly for 45-60 mins under heat and my hair is in the best shape ever. I added bee pollen and alfalfa to my supplements recently and purchased multi-purpose liquid castile soap(outstanding shampoo) and palm oil(excellent oil). I love all of my products and so does my hair. thanks dsd. I look at my comparison shots from the beginning of the year til now and i am amazed at the progress i have made in the last 3-4 months- if i would have known then what i do now.

MonaLisa

I definitely see a difference in the health and length of my hair from January to November...the last pics I took were in August...but even between January and then...I could see the difference.

Approaching the APL goal I want...so happy about that...about to get hair tucked away for the winter...I won't be touching up until Spring 2006.

DSD...I'll get at you with some comparison pics then...I'll need your keen eye;)

Good Luck to all reaching their year end goals!!:grin:

monister

yeah my hair is going along great... i posted some updates in my album about a month ago... my hair is much much thicker that its ever been (i have comparison pictures in album) and it almost shoulder length lighlty flat ironed which was my goal for the year but curly it just looks about 1 - 1.5 inches because it curls up so tightly.... im thinking about getting cornrows with hair added for a about a month or so or just micros (i got some this summer but i only kept it for a month.

monister

WaterMoccasin

Well, the good thing is, what was lost in June to a trim (3-4 inches) has pretty much grown back (about 0.5" left). And I've discovered that growing is not a problem- I get at least the average 0.5" a month- so now I know I really need to take care of my ends. On the down side, I relaxed my hair in September (a real one after about 5 years) and my hair is now pretty darn thin so even if it is about the same length as it was at the beginning of the year, it doesn't look 'as much'- know what I mean? And it sure seems less healthy as a result.
This of course is also a downer- that I have as much hair now as I did at the beginning of the year- even if I know it's because I lost several inches mid-year, I keep thinking crap, I could have had that amount added on to what I already had and been a few inches from waist by now. :ohwell:
Oh well, there's next year!

I hope a lot of people have reached their goals or come close or made progress in any case!

sharee

BahamaMama said:
Well, the good thing is, what was lost in June to a trim (3-4 inches) has pretty much grown back (about 0.5" left). And I've discovered that growing is not a problem- I get at least the average 0.5" a month- so now I know I really need to take care of my ends. On the down side, I relaxed my hair in September (a real one after about 5 years) and my hair is now pretty darn thin so even if it is about the same length as it was at the beginning of the year, it doesn't look 'as much'- know what I mean? And it sure seems less healthy as a result.
This of course is also a downer- that I have as much hair now as I did at the beginning of the year- even if I know it's because I lost several inches mid-year, I keep thinking crap, I could have had that amount added on to what I already had and been a few inches from waist by now. :ohwell:
Oh well, there's next year!

I hope a lot of people have reached their goals or come close or made progress in any case!

Wow this sounds exactly like me...except I have been transitioning for a little over a year I decided to texturize a couple of days ago and I am hating it!!!! I also did a mini chop this August of about 3 inches and it is almost back but I just don't know. I am now looking forward to year 2 of my haircare experience.