"Swangin' Hair Like a White (or other race) Girl!"-Do you Take Offense to this?

Crissi

LocksOfLuV said:
I am talking about whether it be straight like Sylver's or textured like Cichelle's or Lauren's.

1;They are are relaxed...in regards to natural black hair, its kinky/coily/coily etc etc, itdon't swing, just like white girls don't have ***...lol but nah i don't take offence to it. My hair will only be swangin like a white girl every 3/4 months when i decide to straighten it, ima just swing it just cos i can...just cos i got it...and i worked hard for it

Dee-Licious

Crissi said:
1;They are are relaxed...in regards to natural black hair, its kinky/coily/coily etc etc, itdon't swing, just like white girls don't have ***...lol but nah i don't take offence to it. My hair will only be swangin like a white girl every 3/4 months when i decide to straighten it, ima just swing it just cos i can...just cos i got it...and i worked hard for it

Only Sylver is relaxed... Chicelle and Lauren are natural... Lauren just did her BC a few months ago...

secretdiamond

Lauren did a BC??? :confused: When? Are we talking about Lauren450?

ETA: Speaking of swinging hair. I want to know how to get it myself without the help of a stylist! :(

Dee-Licious

secretdiamond said:
Lauren did a BC??? :confused: When? Are we talking about Lauren450?

ETA: Speaking of swinging hair. I want to know how to get it myself without the help of a stylist! :(

She's in the process of going natural... She did a mini-BC but she cut off about as much hair as I have :lachen: I think she might be fully natural by now, but she hasn't updated in a while so I'm no 100% at all.

CAPlush

I don't think it is offensive, but I do understand how some one could walk away thinking that you sound ignorant, depending on the context it is used. I personally would not say it, but it's perfectly legitimate to get a certain idea of an image across.

TCatt86

I'm not offended at all. Wanting your hair to have swing or be bouncy and full is not trying to be white or not appreciating black hair, it's just wanting your hair to look nice. It's just a personal preference. Even when I wear my hair curly I like it to be bounce and when I wear it straight I like to run my fingers through my hair. (That's not me trying to be white, I normally do that when I see a sexy man. :D)

secretdiamond

MsDee4 said:
She's in the process of going natural... She did a mini-BC but she cut off about as much hair as I have :lachen: I think she might be fully natural by now, but she hasn't updated in a while so I'm no 100% at all.

Wasn't that SouthernGurl?

Dee-Licious

secretdiamond said:
Wasn't that SouthernGurl?

oh sh*t... now that you say it you're sooooo right :lachen: MY APOLOGIES ya'll!!!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen:

Just remembering that beautfiul almost coal-black hair and inverted the names... sorry ya'll!!

Thanks for correcting me SD!!!

Arcadian

To have that phrase directed TO me is very offensive TO me. My hair swings like a black girl with a relaxer.

Hearing it (the phrase) in general dosen't bother me at all, I don't care.

-A

Bellavita6

I am not offended at all by this, to me, I think people use that analogy because they want to get a visual across. I personally have seen so many beautiful hairs coming out of dominican salons, "I always say I want swangin hair like the dominicans do" :grin:

neonbright

I am swinging my hair now, just because it trips me out that someone would think I am trying to be what is in my blood line but not showing in my hair alot of African, Native American blood in me... So what my hair gets in my way or my purse is pulling it and I need to get it out of the way... No I do not care...

secretdiamond

MsDee4 said:
oh sh*t... now that you say it you're sooooo right :lachen: MY APOLOGIES ya'll!!!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen:

Just remembering that beautfiul almost coal-black hair and inverted the names... sorry ya'll!!

Thanks for correcting me SD!!!

:lachen: Girl I was like WHEN did i miss that announcement??!!! :lachen:

LocksOfLuV

neonbright said:
I am swinging my hair now, just because it trips me out that someone would think I am trying to be what is in my blood line but not showing in my hair alot of African, Native American blood in me... So what my hair gets in my way or my purse is pulling it and I need to get it out of the way... No I do not care...

Do people get mad at you for swinging your hair? People are so petty! :rolleyes:

meaganita

"Swangin" like a WG is the only way I'll wear my hair if it's straight.:yep: If I'm wearing my hair straight and it's not swangin' (which is rare), it's just not right. So whenever my press/flatiron is old, but too soon to washout, I just wear a crimp, braidout, or ponytail.:cool:

The term doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is when folks assume I have a weave or some "tracks" or "pieces" in my hair. Sorry, but I'm just not evolved enough to take that as a compliment.:ohwell:

SleekandBouncy

No, I do not get offended. Let's be real and non PC, on averageAsian, Hispanic and White girls have hair that swings while many black wome is often weighed down with product and therefore less likely to "swing". For the longest time we didn't have the products or information to maximize our hair. Most products that were marketed to us were heavy and greasy. Even styled cuts (layers, etc.) *were* thought of as a "white girl" thing. I also think the popularity of Dominican salons has helped. I know many women that didn't think it was possible for our hair to swing like that until they hit up a DS. The DS are obsessed with swing, they have hair like us but their beauty standards are more mainstream. I remember when the Dominican salons and the high end black salon in my area were the only places striving for the swing, it wasn't until the other salons lost business that they changed their techniques.
I've said it to friends, if you don't believe me, wait until school let's out and count the black girls vs the non blk girls with swing.

P.S
I think *sometimes* it can be easier for non black girls to get that swing only because straighter texture often don't require as much external moisturizers so there's less chance of getting weighed dow and sometimes they don't even use conditioner. Many "blK only" products are very high in mineral and petroleum.

Last edited:

Radianthealth

I work with a white woman and this thread made me look at her hair. It is about shoulder length and it does not swing. I think she rollersets it:look:

I have seen plenty of white women that don't have swinging hair just a relevant observation.

ClassicBeauty

Well I personally don't like the phrase at all. To me it's just as bad as saying I talk like a white girl or I want to be thin like a white girl. All of those statements make it seem like black people can't have swinging hair, speak properly, or keep their weight down.

Most of the time when I hear that statement from someone, I really want to tell them that their hair could swing too if they washed all that junk out of it. (But of course I don't say that.)

Last edited:

pattycake0701

I didn't read through the thread so forgive me if it was already mentioned, but I always thought this phrase was to be sort of the stereotypical view of the white woman who's a bit snotty and likes to throw and flip her hair in other's faces. Of course I think most women want hair that flips and moves in the breeze, I have afro hair so when I finally let down my locks and get of off the phony pony, I don't think anyone would compare my hair swinging to a white chick's.

For the record, I never heard anyone say "swinging your hair like a Chinese, Mexican, etc, etc, girl".

caribeandiva

Human being
MsDee4 said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Getting a perm is a right of passage :ohwell: it's "eradicates" some of our blackness.

I got a perm at 1 and a half and BELIEVE ME BE it erased NONE of my blackness.

All of this being natural makes me embrace my true blackness is true BULL to me and I feel is just another petty way to divide and separate blacks. Hair is purely cosmetic to me.

JMHO

ETA. don't see relaxers as a must but as an option that is utilized in my family... kinda like makeup for some

I agree 100% with this. i got my first perm at 13 and it erased none of my blackness.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
OnAHairQuest said:
Someone here has 3c-4b hair that swings?

Links please?
When I wear my 4a/4b natural hair in a braidout, twistout, or even two-strand twists, my hair swings, bounces, and blows in the wind. When I wear it in a puff or in its shrunken state, it does not swing/bounce.

So not just straight relaxed hair swings/bounces. It may be a different type of swing/bounce but my natural hair does swing, bounce, and blow in the wind. The key to swangin' hair (relaxed or natural) is little to no hair products.

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Poohbear said:
When I wear my 4a/4b natural hair in a braidout, twistout, or even two-strand twists, my hair swings, bounces, and blows in the wind. When I wear it in a puff or in its shrunken state, it does not swing/bounce.

So not just straight relaxed hair swings/bounces. It may be a different type of swing/bounce but my natural hair does swing, bounce, and blow in the wind. The key to swangin' hair (relaxed or natural) is little to no hair products.

This is a good point...this white lady I work with has past shoulder length hair but I think she using gel or mousse or something and it doesn't hardly move and she wears it down.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I totally agree with all of OnAHairQuest's posts in this thread. :up:

In addition to what has been said, having relaxed hair doesn't make you less black and having natural hair doesn't make you more black. Black is a term to describe us based on common traits. In reality, there's no such thing as "blackness" and "whiteness"...it's all made up. Talking white, having a black butt, etc. are just stereotypes and ideologies that have socially conditioned us to think a certain way. No one black person looks the same nor acts the same nor prefers the same things. I could go deeper into this subject but I'll leave it at that for now. We just need to start defining who we are as individuals and having our own identity instead of letting society and other people define who we are collectively.

Radianthealth

Poohbear said:
I totally agree with all of OnAHairQuest's posts in this thread. :up:

In addition to what has been said, having relaxed hair doesn't make you less black and having natural hair doesn't make you more black. Black is a term to describe us based on common traits. In reality, there's no such thing as "blackness" and "whiteness"...it's all made up. Talking white, having a black butt, etc. are just stereotypes and ideologies that have socially conditioned us to think a certain way. No one black person looks the same nor acts the same nor prefers the same things. I could go deeper into this subject but I'll leave it at that for now. We just need to start defining who we are as individuals and having our own identity instead of letting society and other people define who we are collectively.
Very well said:)

I also like the point that someone made about no one ever saying that they swing their hair like a Mexican or Chinese woman:ohwell: