Swimming Hair

TexturedTresses

Is it okay to wash your hair with only conditioner after swimming? I would like to start swimming 2 or 3 times a week. If it is not okay, is it okay to use a gentle shampoo like castille soap.

yuriko

Pool water has chlorine it in. I used to swim very often. My advice is to put leave in conditioner on your hair before you go in the water. Wear a snug snug swim cap as often as you can, to really make it water tight, you can saran wrap your hair before putting on the swim cap. If your hair gets a little wet, then you can cowash, but if your hair becomes drenched in chlorinated nasty pool water, please wash it out with a chelating shampoo

audacity.

Pool water has chlorine it in. I used to swim very often. My advice is to put leave in conditioner on your hair before you go in the water. Wear a snug snug swim cap as often as you can, to really make it water tight, you can saran wrap your hair before putting on the swim cap. If your hair gets a little wet, then you can cowash, but if your hair becomes drenched in chlorinated nasty pool water, please wash it out with a chelating shampoo

:yep: what she said!

TexturedTresses

i think i messed up then. i wet my hair, put sunflower oil in it until it was saturated. i didn't have a swimming cap so my hair got drenched. then i cowashed, twice. and used my cowash conditioner as a leave in. damn. the board was messed up before i saw the comments.

could i use a chelating shampoo more than once a week?

yuriko

am sorry dear, but I dont think that swimming in a pool once or twice will destroy your hair, which is so healthy and beautiful btw. I posted coz i used to swim 4 times a week, and suffered from serious chlorine build up and my hair was really dry and damaged, but this was over a period of 4 months. My hair improved only after i chopped off 3 inches and started doing what I outlined above.
For your question of how many times a week you can use a chelating shampoo, it depends on you. How many times a week do you normally shampoo your hair? you can chelate as often as you shampoo. So if you normally shampoo more than once a week, then the answer is yes, and vice versa.