1. https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/upcoming-changes.849375/
    Dismiss Notice

Swimming In The Black Community: How Racism Is Drowning Us

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Leeda.the.Paladin, May 29, 2017.

1. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is ridiculously negligent. Where were the adults while she was struggling in the water? If water that she jumped in had been deeper then the 10 year old could’ve drowned trying to save her. Who does this?

WhoIAm, LBoogie85, lushlady and 3 others like this.
  2. cocosweet

cocosweet Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Things can go left QUICKLY. A few summers ago we were at a pool party. A bunch of adults were near the pool chatting. I had been watching ds and started talking to someone. Wouldn’t you know it, that’s when ds got in over his head and was flailing. An older child who was closer than I was got to him before I did. :nono:
    So whoever said there needs to be a designated child watcher was on target.

Boychild started his swim lessons this week.

3. Chromia

Chromia Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Media:
    Albums:
    Another kid on a floaty. At the beach. In the Atlantic Ocean, half a mile from shore.

His mom was on the phone with 911 saying that he wasn't wearing a life jacket and he can't really swim (not a black family).

4. Leeda.the.Paladin

Leeda.the.Paladin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    This is crazy...I will say that black folks tend to not play around as much with the ocean

5. Kanky

Kanky Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I just don’t get why people don’t use their common sense. This is exactly what I would expect to happen if I used that kind of floaty in the ocean. But these people are shocked that the floaty floated. :lol:

6. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    And the rescue guy said it happens a few times a year.

7. Ms. Tarabotti

Ms. Tarabotti Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    If your kid can not swim, don't put him on a floaty thing at the beach without a life vest. And if you know that he can not swim, at least one parent should have been next to him, ready to scoop him up if things got dicey- suppose a rip current or some rogue wave had come along?

My grandmother always said that the sea has no back door. Stay out of the water if you can't swim.

8. Enyo

Enyo Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Tourist who die in Hawaii generally do so in the water. Folks have no idea how powerful the ocean is. Coupled that with the delusion that Hawaii is a paradise where nothing goes wrong meant 1 death per week for a year a few years ago.

9. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:

The family of a Texas boy who drowned in his neighborhood pool has filed a lawsuit, claiming the pool was overcrowded and was not being properly watched by lifeguards.

[​IMG]
    The lawsuit filed by Ga Ram Kang’s family alleges that there should have been a limit on how many people were in the pool. It also said lifeguards should have had better training. (Source: KTRK/CNN VAN)
    "He was our everything," said Jocelyn Kang, the boy's mother.

Kang's life revolved around her 6-year-old son Ga Ram Kan and after he drowned two months ago, she says some days feel unlivable.

"It's been hard," Kang said. "It's been very hard."

She and her husband are suing the community association of King Crossing Inc., and the home builder Pulte Homes of Texas.

The lawsuit alleges that on that crowded holiday at the pool, there should have been a limit on how many people were there and the lifeguards should have had better training.

Kang said one of the two lifeguards on duty didn't even jump in when her son was face down in the water.

"They were ready for the job, not the crisis," Kang said.

Kang believed the lifeguards provided a false sense of security.

She's urging other parents to watch their children closely.

Other residents of the community said they're doing just that.

"I keep my eyes on them," said Kina White, a neighbor. "I can't trust anybody else watching my kids."

The community association declined to comment on the filing.

Pulte Homes of Texas responded with a statement.

"First and foremost, this is a terrible tragedy and we offer our deepest sympathies to the Kang family," Kang said. "At this time, we are not aware of any lawsuit having been filed."

But Kang hopes parents are aware of the dangers crowded pools can pose.

10. dancinstallion

dancinstallion Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Ex-Clemson, E. Carolina RB Dye drowns in lake
    ESPN News ServicesJul 6, 20191 Minute Read
    CLEMSON, S.C. -- Former Clemson and East Carolina running back Tyshon Dyedrowned Friday while swimming in a lake during a family outing.

Dye was 25 years old.

Elbert County coroner Chuck Almond told several media outlets Dye was at Richard B. Russell State Park in Georgia when he tired in the water and could not make it to shore. The coroner's office ruled Dye's death accidental.

Dye played at Elbert County Comprehensive High School before coming to Clemson. He was a reserve on the Tigers' 2016 national championship team, then transferred to East Carolina for his final college season.

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said everyone with the Tigers was heartbroken over Dye's death. Swinney called his former player one of the "sweetest souls" he'd ever known and was praying for Dye's family.

In his three seasons at Clemson, Dye rushed for 351 yards and five touchdowns on 76 carries. In his lone season with East Carolina, he rushed for 217 yards on 50 carries.

Leeda.the.Paladin and meka72 like this.
  11. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    Everyone be careful this summer, especially. Mods, please dont move this thread anywhere so that everyone can continue to be aware.

Children May Be At Higher Risk of Drowning This Summer
    The pandemic poses new safety challenges around water. Parents should be ready.

[​IMG]
    Here’s the article if you all care to read:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/parenting/drowning-water-safety.html

Main points:

“This year, with outings to the community pool, day camps and pool parties still on hold, kids cooped up at home will be eager to get in the water as the weather warms. Experts worry that parents are stretched too thin to provide the required supervision, leading to an increase in child drownings this summer. As of mid-May, both Florida and Texas — the top two states for child drownings in pools and spas — are already seeing higher numbers than last year.”

Inflatable pools may seem like great options during pandemic-driven staycations, but even those portable pools can be deadly. “You’re thinking, ‘Oh, it’s a kiddie pool. It’s only six inches of water.’ Well, if a kid’s flat, facedown and can’t get up, they are submerged underwater,” Dr. Katchmarchi said. This is particularly true with babies and young toddlers, who have a harder time righting themselves because of their proportionally larger heads.

Smaller pools should be emptied after use. “

And:

Passive supervision, such as being nearby and listening, or even being physically present but working or scrolling on your phone, isn’t enough. Instead, Dr. William Ramos, Ph.D., a member of the American Red Cross Scientific Advisory Council and an associate professor at the Indiana School of Public Health in Bloomington, recommends “touch supervision” for kids under 5; for those 10 and under, he encourages parents to stay within eye shot or arm’s reach. To avoid confusion, one adult should be the designated “water watcher” and be trained in CPR, he said.

one minute, the A.A.P. recommends multiple layers of protection, as outlined in its policy statement.”

Shimmie, Everything Zen and Nay like this.
  12. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    Never mind...

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    We had a young man drown here in a pond near some apartments. The video is circulating on Facebook of his friends daring him to get in the water.

it’s very sad and avoidable!

14. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
  15. dancinstallion

dancinstallion Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:

2 drowning victims found in Orange Beach, Gulf Shores; 3rd person in critical condition
    Updated May 26, 2020; Posted May 26, 2020
    By The Associated Press[​IMG]
    • two Louisiana men who went missing in the surf.

WALA-TV reports that authorities in Orange Beach say a body washed up Tuesday morning at Gulf State Park, and a second one was found later in Gulf Shores.

The remains were found after two swimmers were last seen near Perdido Pass on Sunday night. Authorities identified the missing men as 22-year-old Darius Robinson and 28-year-old Ryan Guy, both of Louisiana.

Around the same time they went missing a third swimmer was found floating face down in the water by boaters. A person identified as 28-year-old Jasmine Brundy was taken to a hospital in Pensacola, Florida and remains in critical condition.

Police say the three were together.

16. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    The pandemic is definitely having an effect. It’s not just in pools but little ones in bathtubs, etc. We adults are all so distracted and overwhelmed.

Florida drowning deaths up 70% from this time last year, nonprofit says

[​IMG]

By: WFTS Digital Staff
    Posted at 8:50 AM, Apr 13, 2020

and last updated 7:52 AM, Apr 13, 2020
    TAMPA, Fla. -- Drowning deaths in Florida are up 70% when compared to this time last year, according to Water Smart Tots.

For children in the state between ages 1 and 4, drowning is the leading cause of death. Annually, enough children to fill three to four preschool classrooms drown before their fifth birthday, according to Florida Health.

The nonprofit says 12 children died from drowning in February and March of this year, compared to zero deaths during those months in 2019.

FLORIDA NEWS | The latest headlines from Florida

"The drowning statistics are rising at an alarming rate even more now that families are home-bound juggling working from home and homeschooling older children," Water Smart Tots wrote on Facebook. "Toddlers are experts at momentarily escaping adult supervision only to be found unresponsive in pool, lake, canal, bathtub, etc. "

Keeping your family safe is a top priority, and these water safety tips can help you out.

Never leave a child alone in or near water. It may seem like an obvious rule, but drowning is a silent catastrophe. It can happen in just a few minutes.

Even if you're at a public pool or beach with a lifeguard, always take responsibility and designate an official water watcher.

Teach your children how to swim. It's not only fun but also a lifesaver. Many places even offer free or discounted lessons.

Broken, loose, or missing drain covers can lead to disaster. Teach your children to stay away from drains and suction outlets, especially in spas and shallow pools. Hair, limbs and bathing suits can all get stuck in the opening.

Install proper barriers, covers and alarms around your spa and/or pool. They can save a life. A fence at least four feet high should surround the pool or spa on all sides. It shouldn't be climbable and should only be accessible through a self-closing, self-latching gate.

If the worst does happen, be prepared and know how to perform CPR on children and adults. Bystanders are often the first to help a drowning victim.

For more safety tips, you can visit several websites, including Water Smart Florida, Pool Safely and even the City of Tampa's website.

weaveadiva likes this.
  17. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    Phenix City boy rescues toddler from drowning while vacationing in Panama City Beach
    [​IMG]
    Phenix City boy rescues toddler from drowning while vacationing in Panama City Beach (Source: WTVM)
    By Cindy Centofanti | June 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM CDT - Updated June 19 at 10:20 PM
    PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (WTVM) - A family from Eufaula, Alabama is fighting for their sons life after he nearly drowned on vacation in Panama City Beach.

Keya Carter and her husband Maurice Jackson have been vacationing in Panama City Beach, Florida since last Saturday with their five children. But this past Tuesday is a day that they will never forget.

Four-year-old Kailon was enjoying a pool day with his family when his oldest sibling asked his mother to get him some food. Carter said Kailon was out of the water when she got up. But when she turned her back, all she could remember was hearing a scream for help.

“My body just blocked out everybody. I could only hear Connor screaming help,” Carter said. “When I turned around, I could just see my son foaming at the mouth and stuff. So, I just pulled him out of the pool.”

In those moments after Kailon fell into the water, Connor Bunce, a 10-year-old boy from Phenix City Alabama who was also vacationing with Kailon’s family, said he knew immediately what to do in that moment.

“I saw Kailon floating near the bottom of the pool, so I dove down there, grabbed him by his arm, and pulled him back up and held him by his head and then yelled ‘help!’ to his mom,” Connor said.

Kailon was transported by paramedics to the Gulf Coast Regional Medical Center where he has remained since Tuesday. Carter said her son is making a slow recovery, but he has to remain on ventilators to support his lungs.

“I just wish it wasn’t him,” she said. “I wish I could just take his place. I just would have never expected something like this to happen.”

Carter said she and her family aren’t sure when they will be able to come home with Kailon’s condition, but one thing is for sure:

“Connor is a hero and we thank Connor. Connor has been apart of our family ever since our son has started playing baseball with his dad,” Carter said.

Kailon’s mom said doctors hope to remove the ventilator’s within the next few days depending on his condition.

Goombay_Summer and Shimmie like this.
  18. meka72

meka72 Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    All these stories are heartbreaking :cry3:

Shimmie likes this.
  19. Shimmie

Shimmie "God is the Only Truth -- Period" Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you!!!!! These stories get on my nerves. Parents who don’t have sense enough to take safety precautions by putting life jackets on their children and not paying attention to them. Then something happens and they start going berserk:cry: Even adults on huge fishing boats wear life jackets.

Parents should be banned from all water parks, pools and beaches. They don’t watch their children and end up wasting everyone’s time and energy to fix their negligence. Their poor children end up with PTSD’s and hydrophobia. :nono:

20. Shimmie

Shimmie "God is the Only Truth -- Period" Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Excellent safety tips :yep: