Terrible experience with Sallys Beauty Supply?

Blessedwithabundance14

On 5/21/2014 I purchased your Buttercreme at Sally Beauty Supply due to my hairdresser telling me about the benefits. I got the item from the buy one get one free event and instantly fell in love with the product. I then used the first tub and went on to the second one on 6/27 and after I washed and conditioned my 2 daughters hair it did not feel soft like when I used the other tub. I found that the first tub was the Buttercreme and the second was the Cowash. I went to Sallys and advised them of the issue along with the receipt and the store manager stated that I took too long to bring the item in. She then added that I may have purchased the Cowash and now am trying to exchange it for a more expensive item. I then asked her to look at how much of the product was used (she never did) I asked her to pull up all of my prior purchases at Sallys on the same card I have been using for years (she never did) to prove I had not purchased this item.

She was unprofessional, mean, and acted as though I was bothering her, while rolling her eyes and raising her voice. I was made to feel that I did something wrong, when it was an employee who put the wrong product in my bag. I had the receipt showing the purchase but she refused. I then went to Target and purchased a different product line due to this.

Never again will I EVER go to Sallys!!

OhTall1

Sorry she was rude to you but typically if you buy something and it's B1G1 free, you have to return both items. Either way, hope it works out for you.

Blessedwithabundance14

Sorry she was rude to you but typically if you buy something and it's B1G1 free, you have to return both items. Either way, hope it works out for you.

I wanted to exchange the Cowash for the Buttercreme. Upon purchase the worker put the wrong product in my bag, so i brought back the Cowah for the Buttercreme. Would that still apply?

Last edited:

OhTall1

ShawnC, yes, I think so. I cut and pasted their store policy from the website. But still the manager was inappropriate. "It's against store policy for us to take it back" is way different than "How do I know you're not trying to rip us off?" and raising her voice.

Promotional and free items:
Promotional items and free items must be returned with the merchandise it was offered with in order for an exchange or refund to be processed. In addition, promotional and free items are non-returnable by themselves.

Example: Purchase a blowdryer and get an item free—the free item will not be refunded for any reason. In addition, if the purchased item—in this example the blowdryer—is returned for a refund, the free must be returned as well.

Example: Purchase a blowdryer and get a free bag—the bag will not be refunded or exchanged for any reason.

OhTall1

I'm not sure. At this point, you've escalated it to corporate, so hopefully they'll do something just based on the manager's response. But this policy isn't specific to Sally's. A lot of places do it, and I'm guessing it's because dishonest folks bought stuff under B1G1 free, and then tried to return the "buy" item for a credit of the full purchase price. GL!

Blessedwithabundance14

I'm not sure. At this point, you've escalated it to corporate, so hopefully they'll do something just based on the manager's response. But this policy isn't specific to Sally's. A lot of places do it, and I'm guessing it's because dishonest folks bought stuff under B1G1 free, and then tried to return the "buy" item for a credit of the full purchase price. GL!

Yes I understand. I wish she would have asked me if I had the original item, cause it is right here. I will show corporate or whomever I need to. Just silly to lose a customer over such unprofessionalism. I will never go back but I will get my Buttercreme.

overtherainbow

This is why I hate Sallys and Ulta. Their employees are awful. When I was in high school, I purchased hair extensions and no one would help me. The employees were actually talking about buying crack at the time (I wish I was kidding :() Once I got their attention, they told me I could return it no matter what. So when I went back to exchange it, the same two employees ganged up on me, insinuating that I was lying about my purchase. I told them to call the manager and after a lot of complaining on my end, they called. The manger pretty much told them that the customer is always right and made them return the product. They sulked throughout the entire exchange. I literally didn't walk into a sallys for 3 years after that. The worst part is that I was a teen at the time, and these were grown women, arguing with a kid. Who has time for that?

It's good that you took corporate action OP. In hindsight, I wish I did the same. If enough people complain, then maybe their CS would improve. Ulta is just as bad.

bluenvy

Omg! What Sally's is this? My Sally's I go to on the regular(2-4 times a month) are always so nice to me. If I don't like a product or picked up something I really just did not want, they ALWAYS exchange or refund my money ALWAYS with no problems. Sorry this happened to you:( it is store policy to return unwanted product, unless extensions, earrings etc. about this buttercream, i love buttercream smell. Is it by As I am?

Blessedwithabundance14

Omg! What Sally's is this? My Sally's I go to on the regular(2-4 times a month) are always so nice to me. If I don't like a product or picked up something I really just did not want, they ALWAYS exchange or refund my money ALWAYS with no problems. Sorry this happened to you:( it is store policy to return unwanted product, unless extensions, earrings etc. about this buttercream, i love buttercream smell. Is it by As I am?

The Sally's in West TX. Yes it is As I Am Buttetcreme.

naturalmanenyc

They sale As I Am products in Sally's now

Oh. It reads like you bought the Sally's brand, Silk Elements. I see that they have similar brown packaging too.

"On 5/21/2014 I purchased your Buttercreme at Sally Beauty Supply due to my hairdresser telling me about the benefits."

southerncitygirl

ShawnC

Address this issue to corporate cause you didn't deserve to be treated this way. Even though your return isn't in line with the store policy, you will likely get what you intended. More of our people need to learn the power of the pen/emails too.... these companies have too much to lose because we are in the age of Social Media. I keep hearing about horrid customer service with too many companies and enough is enough.

SunRai Naturals

I had a bad experience with SALLY'S & contacted corporate twice with no response so I stopped shopping there. They dont care from the top to the bottom about their customers.

meka72

My daughter had a similar issue and the young lady working at Sally's refused to give her a refund although the return was within the specified time period. She told my daughter hat she had used too much of the conditioner to get a refund, which is not part of the return policy. She held on to the product until her next visit and we returned it no problem.

If I understood correctly, you should've gotten 2 Buttercreams, and the package was labeled as such, but you actually received 1 Buttercream and 1 Cowash? I'd file a complaint with the consumer protection section of your state's attorney general's office. You could probably file a complaint online. That sounds like deceptive advertising or "bait and switch".

Mz.MoMo5235

I'm sorry this happened to you. Like you have read, some have great experiences and others terrible.

I personally have always had a great experience at a specific Sallys that I shop at. But at one point I was putting in more hours in there than their employees so that could have been it.

I just moved to another city and the Sallys by my house doesnt seem to be as friendly. However I really only go in their now for polish, nail stuff and lashes. The hair stuff I do buy there lasts me forever and a day now so I'm just not living in Sallys like I used to.

On to your situation I would have thrown a serious fit and they would have had co-wash all over that store and I'd be banned and maybe arrested. ijs

krikit96

Wow... All 3 sally's near my house is very nice... I think it depends on who is working that day. I even had one lady just last week tell me that I could return my products, no matter how much was used, without the receipt... for store credit towards another purchase. I don't know if she was feeling good that day or not, but that's what she said... So that's who I'd go to when or if I ever want to do that. If I go in there and someone else is there, I'd probably not even mention it.

I'm sorry you had this experience. If you still have your receipt, you could probably go back with your stuff and explain it to another employee and it'd probably go over just fine.

Keep us updated!:yep:

faithVA

I never have a good experience at Sally's. I don't even expect it :ohwell: I only go there when they are the only store that carries what I want at the price I want. Around here the stores are run as if they don't have any management.

Stormy

ShawnC I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm shocked that the manager would be so rude and nasty! The Sally's stores in our city is pretty nice generally. Of course I probably only shop at any of them about once a year, and I've never had to return anything though. Like you, I would have complained to Corporate as well. Although, I understand their policy and they're right in that regard, but your situation was a little different in that it was an honest mistake that you didn't catch until you went to use the product. Then again, if it was a lesser price product whose to say the store clerk wasn't being dishonest. Hmm... anyway, she could have listened and helped you. She just didn't want to.

naturalmanenyc thanks for that info! I didn't know about the lawsuit. I just found several articles on it! Here's one for those who want to view: http://mysavvysisters.com/mixed-chicks-sues-sally-beauty-wins-8-5-million-for-infringement/

With deceptive practices like this, it's making me have second thoughts about shopping at Sally's.

Blessedwithabundance14

Also ShawnC I meant to ask, was the second one "labeled" as CW?

Yes it was labelled Cowash.. I called this morning and the district manager will be calling me soon. So hopefully I will get my Buttercreme soon. I am also going to ask that the store manager take customer service classes to represent Sallys more professionally. In the end the store manager will know she should have just done the right thing or at least pretended to be helpful.